learn more

Cindy McCain's $300,000 Outfit

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Captain Obvious
Great! The Fashion Police of conspiracy underworld have arrived. What do you think about the outfit that Lee Harvey Oswald is wearing in this photo? The shirt was obviously not fitted. It looks like a common off-the-shelf t-shirt.

I'll bet you 2 frogs and my right testicle it wasn't worth $300,000

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan
Wow...people are making issues about what people wear now? I happened to like her outfit...although she looks like her face has been stretched and she has that weird grin, she has good taste IMO.

Her family worked hard to make money, so what's wrong with her spending it on clothes? If I had the money, I would too.

I still think Michelle Obama dresses better though ;-)

And that's coming from a tattooed woman? ;-)

I think the mistake First Ladies always make is taking the advice of famous fashion designers at face value. Designers are more interested in promoting their careers than they are in dressing celebrities correctly according to personality and the occasion. (I think the only thing missing from the Oscar de la Renta dress is a flashing neon logo.)

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
You know, I don't really blame her for the money she spends on clothes, I blame her for having horrible taste! God that stuff is gawdy! How tightly wound does a woman have to be to think those outfits look good? Those outfits say "I haven't had sex since the Carter administration".

Peace

Damn you Doc.
I was enjoying the coffee you made me just spit out.

- Lee

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by OhZone
As always with these things the cost of the clothes is mostly what is paid to the designer. The seamstress probably gets min. wage.
Diamonds are overpriced - always. Cubic Zirconia has a higher refractive index, and is almost always perfect with not inclusions to mar its sparkles.

I have made my own clothes for 50 years, and have made better looking outfits than that. Really, they look like they could have been purchased at K Mart. There is nothing special about them. They are not even flattering to the wearers.

I agree on all your points... even your signature.

buying designer clothes is like NEA endowments. It supports the arts. The cost of diamonds is a racket. I don't see why people waste the money. Yes, definitely Kmart and maybe even from the left-over Halloween discounted rack.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Oh fer crying out loud.

If she's come on in a bin liner you'd have accused her of ripping the crap out of poor people and not taking things seriously. In Jeans and a T-Shirt you'd have accused her of a political ploy to look like "ordinary people". A slightly expensive evening gown and she'd have been "pandering to the middle classes"

I didn't see the same argument being made about the Obama's when they hit the DNC stage.

How much money got spent on the DNC convention, on the set, and the outfits everyone wore?

Has US Political discussion really gone this far down the pan?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Lighten up and get a sense of humor.

Geez!!!

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

I find it disgraceful that either side can spend the immense amounts of money they do when someone like Jessie Ventura can get elected to Governor for the same amount of money being worn on the person in question in this thread.

Then again this has nothing to do with me so I'll shoosh

[edit on 5/9/2008 by Kryties]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by Matrix1111

You know, I'd love to think that the OP wasn't being serious when they posted this thread, but I think they were.

After two months of complaining about non-issues regarding Obama, the Obama camp has turned heel, and is doing exactly the same thing.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Actually no, I could be a billionaire and I still wouldn't spend money on clothing and jewelry.

It has nothing to do with the wealth itself, but the fact is that they keep touting Obama as a rockstar, yet they are dressing to the nines.

they want to say that they know what it is like to be an average American, and what it is like for the average American, well the average American doesn't have 3K earrings.

If you want people to think that you know what it is like on on their level, you don't wear an outfit that is a 15 years salary for most people.

Now that is a fashion statement.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
How awful that she can afford to dress nice!

I guess that is a subjective point of view.

I think i dress nice without having to spend more on my outfit than what the average homeowner has to pay the bank for their home. Then again I am not sure they even KNOW how many homes they own, or the price of gas for that matter.

And they say liberals are elitist celebrities.

Originally posted by sensfan
Wow...people are making issues about what people wear now? I happened to like her outfit...

I agree Sens (not about liking the outfit though) we probably shouldn't be too concerned about the cost of her attire even if it does show the McCains to not be the "everyman" family they claim we can relate to. They aren't jobless, facing foreclosure or living paycheck to paycheck like a lot Americans. None of the politicians are. I know that a politician trying to paint himself as a "commoner" like us is just a flat out tactic to appeal to their base. Surprisingly people buy into it nonetheless, but I personally expect these guys to shell out much dollars like they ain't worth anything. Consequently they probably won't be soon.

The McCains are affluent, and Cindy specifically was born into it, but she has done a lot of VERY good non-profit work for the underprivileged as well ("In 1993, Cindy McCain and the AVMT were honored with an award from Food For The Hungry" -wiki) so who cares if she looks like an uptight aged-android in an overly expensive red kimono.

Oh and nice tatts.

- Lee

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

After two months of complaining about non-issues regarding Obama, the Obama camp has turned heel, and is doing exactly the same thing.

Hey now...I may lean to the left but I don't like dirty poli-tricks from either side.
Cindy can wear whatever gawd-awful mess of an expensive outfit she chooses. I expect nothing less from politicians and their families. They are helping to bleed us dry for a reason.

McCain was going to get my vote at first (or maybe Hillary) but I decided it doesn't matter who gets in at this point so I will abstain and let the fur fly in the wind.

I like McCain (it's too hard to hate him) and think Obama is brilliant (he is very accomplished) yet at the same time neither of them scream "presidential material" in my humble opinion. It sucks to pick from this lackluster crew but I may just do it.

Maybe I'll flip a coin like my man Two-Face.
I can't promise it wont be a double-sided one, though.

- Lee

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by LLoyd45

Actually no, I could be a billionaire and I still wouldn't spend money on clothing and jewelry.

It has nothing to do with the wealth itself, but the fact is that they keep touting Obama as a rockstar, yet they are dressing to the nines.

they want to say that they know what it is like to be an average American, and what it is like for the average American, well the average American doesn't have 3K earrings.

If you want people to think that you know what it is like on on their level, you don't wear an outfit that is a 15 years salary for most people.

Now that is a fashion statement.

I'm sure you wouldn't. I wouldn't drive a Humvee or a Lamborghini either if I was rich.
When you don't have the money to spend, it's easy to say you don't like something. Why covet what you can't have.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

Originally posted by Matrix1111

You know, I'd love to think that the OP wasn't being serious when they posted this thread, but I think they were.

Hard to know who you were referring to. That's the problem with replying to a thread in general and not to anyone specifically. I thought you were talking to me.

Yes, I think it was foolish and double-standard of the OP. But the way I see it, it's par for the course. Politics is all about mudslinging, creating strawmen and ignoring the real issues. It's one big joke, if you ask me.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

I am just not a materialistic person. All I would be able to think about is that 300k could save a lot of people. Outside of technological value, diamonds only have the value people place on them. Now my husband on the other hand would probably help me spend it.

I admit I would travel. But that is about it. Just spending that much money on clothes and jewelry is just ridiculous no matter how much money you have.

There are plenty of people out there, (like whats his name that built the PC) that still don't spend money on clothes. I have a friend who was poor and became a millionaire and he still wore the same clothes.

I remember an interview with Dave Ramsey once that I think was with conan O'bRian. Dave was talking about how you can go to Applebees and order wings but keep asking for extra celery and you can make a whole cheap dinner out of it. Conan was like" you are worth 150 million dollars, why are you skimping at Applebees?"
Dave's answer was: "because I want to keep it!!"

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
In the words of J Peterman 'I'll have to see that hat."

I didn't check for a photo in the thread but she did have a new do for last night
I'm fairly sure.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
What the hell is the problem if she afford to pay for it?

The irony here is that most, if not all, of the things she wears were probably designed by Bush hating homosexuals. These designers don't realize who they are catering to.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I think that the sort of outrageous materialism we all see out there from time to time has nothing to do with whether or not you're rich. Poor people can be obsessed with material goods just as easily as rich ones. Whether it's a wall street corporate raider dismantling companies and putting thousands of people out of work so that he can make a killing and buy himself another Ferrari that he'll never drive, or a two-bit street thug killing his next door neighbor over a pair of tennis shoes - it's all the same. It's all about how much you are controlled by those material possessions and what you are willing to do to get them.

What it comes down to ultimately is character and that has nothing to do with the size of your bank balance.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

How did that get here, good thing I did not go past the first page to reply.
Nothing like going to an assassination in style.

The Illuminati sure don't dress their henchmen up in bling.

Oh, he was poor and worked for JFK and J E Hoover to shut
down Cuban assault training bases.
That makes him an anti communist.

Any way McCain is out to show the world who's boss.

[edit on 9/5/2008 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
i used to think the same way, but then I discovered credit. Now I drive a nice truck that didn't cost me a penny out of pocket w/payment $658.00 per month and is a gas hog. My excuse...I just wanted to show how someone who is a decent person can get ahead in life.

Let's face it, people look up to those with lots of money, and if that person is a good example to look up to, it gives them encouragement that they too can reach financial independence. Encouragement by example so to speak. Now leave me alone, I need to go grab a $30 dinner.

[edit on 5-9-2008 by TH3ON3]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by total_slacker

I was just saying to lloyd that I am personally not materialistic. In the case of Mrs. McCain, she may or not be. Or it could be just socialite conditioning. But you are right that anyone can be materialistic.

The point that I am trying to make is that if the McCain campaign wants the average American feel that they are on their side, then they shouldn't be wearing 300k worth of clothes.

Now granted, I am not saying they should look terrible. Even get a good designer, they do have millions of people looking at them. But I think you can be tasteful without being over the top.

I think cindy is a beautiful woman, and she really doesn't need it. None of the contenders do.
But these poor political wives are starting to be put into the same fields as celebrities, always having to look good no matter what. That I am sure that it is getting to be a hard line to draw between practical/political and glamourous. How to look good and stay professional. And it is such a fine line that is easy to cross. Me personally, I would find the scrutiny rather maddening.
The guys have it easy. suit. tie. suit. tie. suit tie.

LoLOL. Maybe that is why there are so many debates over the flag lapel pins. It seems it is the only fashion conscious decision the men can make.
Suit...tie. Ok, lapel pin? How does it look? Does it make me look fat?

ok, I need sleep. see you all later.

[edit on 5-9-2008 by nixie_nox]

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join