It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cindy McCain's $300,000 Outfit

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthWithin
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

No, dude, it's called taste. It is BAD taste to run around yelling about how bad the economy is, and how Fiscally Conservative the republicans are and how "down to earth, good people" the McCains are when his wife is wearing that garbage. Wear that crap to your fundraisers if you want, not in front of American's who are trying to figure out why they don;t have a house any more.

I must wholeheartedly disagree with you here. What is the 'American Dream' supposed to be about? About the ability for ANYONE to be able to build their own wealthy with hard work. She has done this.

I am NOT a McCain supporter and I am NOT voting for him. I'm just saying that it doesn't matter if she wears this in public. Many of the people who showed up on the DNC wore equally expensive clothes. Take away the expensive earrings and they are about equal. Jewelry is something that can cost a whole lot and something that many men, if they have the financial means to do so, buy for their wives.

I went so far as to get a nice bracelet worth over 10k for my wife. The messed up thing is that she doesn't wear it because it is too nice for our lifestyle. So, for someone coming from the 'lifestyle' you are saying will be offended by this.

SO WHAT!

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Lets not try and make it sound like Cindy McCain is the American Dream. Her father started a beer distributorship and left it to her. It doesn't take a genius to deliver beer to people.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
How awful that she can afford to dress nice! If any of us had the money to afford the finer things in life, we would without hesitation. To criticize her over her wealth, inherited or not, just sounds like so many sour grapes..

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Don't get me wrong. I have no problem with wealthy people buying really nice things for themselves. No problem with that at all.

But isn't this like Sally Struthers, in all of her girth, sitting there with starving children and asking for money for food? It's not genuine. I would be fine with her wearing those clothes and that jewelry if it were not for the fact that she is to represent the conservative base in a time where most Americans are having trouble making ends meet.

Don't turn this into the old republican line of "don;t blame people for being rich". Thats not why I posted this.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Her father started a beer distributorship and left it to her.

She's starting to sound like one of the Kennedy's. Wearing expensive clothes, making money from alcohol, getting into politics.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates

Her father started a beer distributorship and left it to her.

She's starting to sound like one of the Kennedy's. Wearing expensive clothes, making money from alcohol, getting into politics.

OH, SNAP!!!!!
Sorry for the one-liner but I couldn't resist.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthWithin

Yeah, you know what though? After the Nazi Rally, er um...Gun Club Meeting, er um...Testosterone Festival (Drill baby, Drill - USA USA USA!), er um...Republican National Convention, the gloves are off. it's time we start exposing these monsters for who they really are.

I'm not a Nazi, I don't own a gun (or care to for that matter), I'm female, and I think your name calling is based out of fear.

As far as the 'gloves' being off ... let me get this straight ... the DNC last week was full of McCain attacks and Republican attacks and yet when it's the RNC's turn, you suddenly don't think it's fair? Boo Friggin Hoo.

And if you recall, last week McCain congratulated Obama and said he would back off for the day to acknowledge Obama's 'job well done'. Many of you said that Obama would do the same thing ...

well guess what?!?

Obama isn't doing the same thing. He's going on O'Reilly for the only reason of hoping to steal McCain's thunder during "his" big day. It is 100% calculated and even the Obama camp has admitted that but I'm not going to sit around boo hoo'ing about it because that's politics ... and yes, Obama does play the same political game they all do, don't fool yourself into thinking otherwise.

Get off of your high horse and look in the mirror before you throw insults around the way you just did. Look at the way the Dems drug Palin's FAMILY through the mud all weekend long with disgusting, horrible lies that were totally uncalled for.

You're just mad that Palin not only didn't crawl under a rock and hide after the way people treated her, but she proved she can both dish it out AND take it.

And people say Republicans are the hypocrites?

Jemison

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthWithin

Lets not try and make it sound like Cindy McCain is the American Dream. Her father started a beer distributorship and left it to her. It doesn't take a genius to deliver beer to people.

Are you really that ignorant? Do you know all that is involved in beer distribution? Running a business? Keeping a business going and keeping it profitable?

And just because people make money, even a LOT of money, that doesn't mean that they are smart enough to invest it so that their money can then work for them. Many people have made oodles of money but haven't had the financial sense on how to keep their money and pass it down from one generation to the next.

Cindy may have inherited the majority of her money so perhaps that makes you a bit jealous, but don't insult her fathers hard work - and it IS hard work.

Cindy McCain spends a lot of her money doing charitable things ... and it isn't just her money that she donates to charity, it's her time, which is even more admirable.

I think many of you don't understand that when people are wealthy, they don't hoard the money for themselves ... they are extremely generous with it and not just for 'write-off's' ... much of the money they 'give' doesn't even QUALIFY as a tax deduction.

They do it as their way of giving back and helping their community or those that are less fortunate.

Republicans view it as their PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY to give back to their community through donations of time, money, etc. They believe in LESS government and more people helping people.

If you are so upset about Cindy spending a lot of money on her clothing when people are 'hurting', let me remind you, that the 'people' who run the stores on Rodeo Drive and who sell jewelry largely based on commission in Beverly Hills, NEED people like Cindy McCain to purchase expensive items so that they can keep their businesses afloat.

Shops that specialize in Couture need customers just as badly as the mom and pop dime stores in order to stay in business did you ever consider that? Or because the stores specialize in couture and cater to the wealthy, maybe they don't matter as much?

Jemison

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
My mother is a wee bit younger than Cindy McCain. Her and my father have worked their butts off to be where they are. Retired. Now my mom doesn't have $300,000.00 ear rings, but she has some nice clothes and jewlery and she deserves to wear it, she has worked her whole life. They put my brother and I through college. So please, it is one thing to say it was ugly, your opinion, but another to say it is wrong for her to wear it. I mean if you had your 'Sunday Best' apparel would it not qualify to wear that at your husbands nomination for President of the USA?

Moreover, she has been running the company for a while and from what I have read, she was very hands on and worked her butt off. To help keep thousands of people employed at her company.

If you don't want people to have anything, just come out and say it. Do you want to just make everyone in America the same? e.g. here is your package of food today, here is you 10 x 10 apartment, here is your job, now go out their and march... I certainly do not. I would like to have enough money to travel america and go over seas some day (even tho they might hate me for being american :p) Clearly you understand this?

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
when did it become a crime to be successful?
so her dad was a self-made millionaire how does that impact the outcome of the campaign?

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

$280,000 estimated cost for 3 carat earrings? that's ridiculous. If they paid that much for a pair of 3 carat earrings, they are way too clueless to ever be in the white house. Not because it's obscene to flaunt $280k earrings when the country is in such a financial mess. if you have the money, why wouldn't you spend it? no, the reason this would be a total disgrace for the McCains is because $280,000 for a pair of 3 carat diamond earrings pointless. people tend to buy larger sized diamonds for their ears because they can be slightly flawed and nobody will be able to notice. Can you spend $280k for a pair? sure. would anyone? only a moron. diamonds are a poor investment. they unnecessarily overspent. that is more of a problem in my eyes than spending your own money on something lavish that you want.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
What does this have to do with the election?

It's better to leave such things to Perez Hilton.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Can you spend $280k for a pair? sure. would anyone? only a moron. diamonds are a poor investment. they unnecessarily overspent.

Some people have a 'thing' about buying only the finest quality of diamonds. My Dad was one of those people and it made NO sense because he was the most frugal person in the world when it came to spending, but who are we to judge what people are passionate about?

Some people have a passion for fast cars and spend huge amounts of money on those. Some people have a passion for stamps. Some people have a passion for art. Some spend all of their money on toys that they feel will be 'collectors items' down the road.

No matter how ludicrous someone's 'splurge' may be to some people, if nothing else, at least acknowledge that the purchase DOES help the economy and DOES benefit the salespeople that struggle to find buyers for their luxory items.

Jemison

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Jemison

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

when you spend your money on art or stamps or some other collectible, you are buying something you cherish. when you overspend on earrings you are wasting money. Yes, I understand the idea of buying the finest but you can easily spend $100k and get a pair of earrings that any woman would kill for. that's still more than half the estimated value of McCain's earrings. I, personally, think that anyone who would overspend on something like earrings is someone who isn't concerned with money and that is not someone who should be sitting in the position of one of the world's most powerfull people. fortunately, his wife isn't the one running. She seems to me to have a "let them eat cake" outlook on life.

now, if he bought the earrings for her, it might be a bigger issue.

yes, I've sort of changed my direction on this. why? it's fun.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Honestly, this is ridiculous.

This is America in case you forgot, people are free to have as much money as they want and spend it however they want.

This class envy rhetoric is getting old quickly.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Nobody knows for sure that her earrings actually costed $280,000. This was an estimate provided by some fashion consultant. for all we know they were just paste.

Rather than worry over how much she spends on her clothing and jewelry, why not calculate how many hundreds of thousands of dollars she has contributed to charities Worldwide over the years? I think that might provided a truer picture of the type of person she is.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

I don't think it would. Remember now, making lot's of money is evil and wrong. Success should be frowned upon, and the wealth of hardworking Americans should be stolen from them by their government and given to those who refuse to apply themselves and earn their own way.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Wow...people are making issues about what people wear now? I happened to like her outfit...although she looks like her face has been stretched and she has that weird grin, she has good taste IMO.

Her family worked hard to make money, so what's wrong with her spending it on clothes? If I had the money, I would too.

I still think Michelle Obama dresses better though ;-)

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
As always with these things the cost of the clothes is mostly what is paid to the designer. The seamstress probably gets min. wage.
Diamonds are overpriced - always. Cubic Zirconia has a higher refractive index, and is almost always perfect with not inclusions to mar its sparkles.

I have made my own clothes for 50 years, and have made better looking outfits than that. Really, they look like they could have been purchased at K Mart. There is nothing special about them. They are not even flattering to the wearers.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
Of course, the Vanity Fair piece concludes with:

(All prices except Laura’s shoes and Cindy’s watch are estimates, and the jewelry prices are based on the assumption that the pieces are real.)

That's some hard hitting journalism.

Yikes! That's some risky assumption. Says more about the game of politics than anything else. But let's look at this closer. What does it really say about the state of US politics?

It seems to me that the sentiments behind this OP is Marxism. Same MO.

Is it wrong to be wealthy?

In any event, she definitely has bad taste. Maybe that's the real crime here.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join