It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear Mr. Obama

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Joe Cook, a veteran of the war in Iraq, made this commercial supporting John McCain's campaign. I think it's pretty powerful.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I guess it is "powerful" in the sense that it completely misrepresents Obama.

Did Obama ever say that he didn't want the Iraqi people to have freedom from tyranny?

No.

Did Obama ever say that he didn't support the troops?

No.

Obama's point was that this war, that has cost the US too many loves and WAY too much money was started under false pretenses, which it was. Please recall, we went in to "save our own asses" from the big bad WMD's that we "could not afford to wait for proof in the shape of a mushroom cloud".

Those were lies, so the new spin was that this war was some sort of humanitarian effort to free the Iraqi people. BS! If the US were so gracious, we would have 150,000 troops in Darfur, or Haiti. But we don't.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Actions, my friend, speak louder than words, so really the commercial and it's message are accurate, regardless of your perspective.

The US has had troops in Haiti on numerous occasions, the last time during Clinton's administration, I believe.

The US might have to choose its battles, but the overriding cause is and always has been freedom, regardless of the fact that deposing Saddam was in our best interest, too.

Saddam had WMDs and he had a history of using them. That he wouldn't play ball with UN inspectors was his error in judgement, not ours and the combined intelligence numerous nations.

By the way, you can't support troops without supporting their mission and that was a big part of Mr. Cook's message.

[edit on 2008/9/4 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

What you have done here, imvho, is introduce something that is too significant too powerful to be addressed on this day and at this time. I pray that your intent is pure.
And I pray that whomever crosses this thread understands what is before them.
This, unless understood and respected, can and will tear everybody apart.

This is a trap!

[edit on 9/4/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthWithin
I guess it is "powerful" in the sense that it completely misrepresents Obama.

Did Obama ever say that he didn't want the Iraqi people to have freedom from tyranny?

No.

Did Obama ever say that he didn't support the troops?

No.

Obama's point was that this war, that has cost the US too many loves and WAY too much money was started under false pretenses, which it was. Please recall, we went in to "save our own asses" from the big bad WMD's that we "could not afford to wait for proof in the shape of a mushroom cloud".

Those were lies, so the new spin was that this war was some sort of humanitarian effort to free the Iraqi people. BS! If the US were so gracious, we would have 150,000 troops in Darfur, or Haiti. But we don't.

man you are so right.

I get so sick and tired of these "Bleeding Heart Republicans" claiming that we Dems don't care about Iraqis, when we can't even get the same Republicans to care about Darfur, or even people here at home? (KATRINA) Unless of course it has a political advantage to it.

And to top it all off, It's the "Well our first reason didn't carry water, so let's claim it was all a humanitarian effort" All the while torutring and raping these same people the guy in the video feigns care for.

Videos like these disgust me, especially when they don't represent the reality of what Iraq has been; The WORST abuse of power ever.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

The day we lose our will to fight is the day we take one step closer to peace.

May God forgive you Mr. Po pot...I mean Philpott.

Edit to add:

Because of the "War on Terror" our military industrial complex is up 45 billion dollars in export sales. Wake up and follow the money it leads to the motive for Sept. 11. No more Soviets so they invented a reason to perpetuate the war machine.

Once you do wake up follow God. The higher power is not on the side of the GOP or the Dems.

God is on the side of humanity...all of humanity.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by LoneGunMan]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I'm sure the number of soldiers who want a new President that's gonna get them the hell out of that mess is 10 to 1, but I don't think we'll be seeing any commercials from them anytime soon.

And BTW, those soldiers aren't going anywhere even with Obama in office so don't worry you precious little heart about it. They've been condemned.

Peace

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan
The day we lose our will to fight is the day we take one step closer to peace.

There is nothing in all of human history to support such a nonsensical statement, unless your idea of peace is slavery.

I don't need God's forgiveness, but I will pray for your awakening.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
This is a trap!

It is the truth and the truth shall set you free.

The strong opposition by some to this man's courageous testimony is the real trap of lies.

It doesn't take too much courage to sit in one's home in a nation protected by the brave and spread lies and doubt.

At least, Mr. Cook put his life on the line for his right to an opinion.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

This is a trap!

It is the truth and the truth shall set you free.

The strong opposition by some to this man's courageous testimony is the real trap of lies.

It doesn't take too much courage to sit in one's home in a nation protected by the brave and spread lies and doubt.

At least, Mr. Cook put his life on the line for his right to an opinion.

That is not the reason that this is a trap, but I suspect you know this.
I was awaiting your response to gage your intentions.
I shall now withdraw without further comment.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   

There is nothing in all of human history to support such a nonsensical statement, unless your idea of peace is slavery.

I do believe you are way wrong. It happened in India and many other places. We need a strong defense not a strong offense. Our offensive strategy is to project our corporate interests. Do you understand the way it our military actually works? We are the only country that can be completely destroyed with just a smoldering continent and we do not even have to give the go signal our silence is enough. The Ohio class submarine will then Nuke whomever did the deed. Any nation that has the power to take our freedom knows this and does not and will not dare to step over the line.

Our Navy and our strategic position assures it cannot happen with conventional weapons.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   

I shall now withdraw without further comment.

Okay.

Good luck and Godspeed.

I was hoping for some enlightenment, but I guess I'll have to rely on my own experience and good judgement.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
I'm sure the number of soldiers who want a new President that's gonna get them the hell out of that mess is 10 to 1, but I don't think we'll be seeing any commercials from them anytime soon.

I'd be willing to bet that it's more like a thousand to one the other way. Support for the war among troops is actually quite astounding.

Here's just one example. I think this is pretty powerful, too.

It's the largest re-enlistment ceremony in history. It took place in Baghdad on July 4, 2008.

The U.S. military in Iraq celebrated the Fourth of July with what it billed as "the largest reenlistment ceremony ever held," and 1,215 soldiers, Marines, sailors and airmen raised their hands and re-pledged allegiance to America.

Gen. David Petraeus, head of all Coalition forces in Iraq, administered the oath in Saddam Hussein's former al Faw Palace. John Phillip Sousa's marches blended with roars of "Freedom," "hooah" and "oorah" from the men and women, many of them carrying their weapons, as they re-upped in their service branches.

Money was an incentive for many, but so was a belief in what they're doing more than five years into a war far away from their homes. Hundreds were in their second and third tours in the combat zone.

U.S. military in Iraq celebrates the 4th with reenlistments

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
In the interest of fairness I would like to offer this video of a young veteran of the Marine Corps who spoke on Tuesday at the Rally for the Republic.

Being that I live within a short driving distance of Camp Lejeune I know a ton of military guys who have served and who presently serve in Iraq. And I can say that most of the ones that I know are tired of this war and most of them just want to be at home again with their families.

Between the poor pay, the scarce benefits and the inadequate medical care that they receive for fighting Bush's war of terror, a great number of these men have gone in the hole financially and many are dealing with psychological trauma from having been where they have been for the past five years.

And that first video is obviously a professionally produced piece of Republican propaganda created to help get John Mccain elected, nothing more.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719
Between the poor pay, the scarce benefits and the inadequate medical care that they receive for fighting Bush's war of terror, a great number of these men have gone in the hole financially and many are dealing with psychological trauma from having been where they have been for the past five years

Well, for those who feel it's not worth it, all they have to do is serve their term and get out. It's as simple as that.

Those nearly 1300 servicemembers who re-enlisted en masse in Baghdad in virtual anonymity speak more to me than the one who bad mouths his nation to a screaming throng malcontents.

Whatever the case is with this individual, he has a right to his opinion and he has the right to say it while his comrades die in the field protecting that right.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan

I do believe you are way wrong. It happened in India and many other places. We need a strong defense not a strong offense. Our offensive strategy is to project our corporate interests. Do you understand the way it our military actually works? We are the only country that can be completely destroyed with just a smoldering continent and we do not even have to give the go signal our silence is enough. The Ohio class submarine will then Nuke whomever did the deed. Any nation that has the power to take our freedom knows this and does not and will not dare to step over the line.

Our Navy and our strategic position assures it cannot happen with conventional weapons.

You do realize that you just contradicted yourself. You originally said:

"The day we lose our will to fight is the day we take one step closer to peace. "

Then you said, "We need a strong defense not a strong offense."

What is a strong defense if not a will to fight back? Losing our will to fight will only lead to us being conquered.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37

You do realize that you just contradicted yourself. You originally said:

"The day we lose our will to fight is the day we take one step closer to peace. "

Then you said, "We need a strong defense not a strong offense."

What is a strong defense if not a will to fight back? Losing our will to fight will only lead to us being conquered.

Please cheap spin is not going to work with me. Or are you unable to understand what someone is actually saying? I should not have to explain everything to you like you are a child.

When someone invades your home you fight back. What does that have to do with attacking Iraq?

It seems some people are just so afraid they think we will be conquered. Who in the hell is going to conquer this country? The multinational corporations that have brainwashed you all for mindless consumerism and slave wages and the Government that has created more terror in the hearts of Americans than ten thousand Sept. 11ths ever could.

Please people for Gods sake take a breath and wake up before its too late!

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak and the timid."

General Dwight D. Eisenhower

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SectionEight
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak and the timid."

General Dwight D. Eisenhower

Nowhere in that quote does Dwight suggest we go off "spreading democracy" while we erode away our freedoms at home.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   

By the way, you can't support troops without supporting their mission and that was a big part of Mr. Cook's message.

Wait, that statement is so loaded it's a wonder it doesn't collapse upon itself. You can't support the troops without supporting the mission? That line of reasoning could send us down the path to hell very quickly. I thank god every day for our wonderful boys and girls who fight and die for us wherever thy are sent.

But I for one will NEVER blindly agree with any policy just because I am told to. This is America! This is what they fight and die for!

My right to decent.

Your right to decent.

I will open my house, my life, my pocket to our soldiers regardless of whether I believe in their mission or not.

Because I believe in them. They are not their mission. They are people. They fight for us so we damn well better fight for them. I for one would fight to free them from something that I believe is not right.

That is support.

That is freedom.

That's what they fight for.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join