It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jon Stewart nails Rove and others on Palin hypocrisy

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd

What policy decisions are you referring to?

Sorry, I guess I should have said policy statements rather than decisions. It's true that she hasn't really taken many actions yet as governor which have had an impact on social issues. However, her public statements over the years on social issues have been very consistently conservative, and I am impressed by the decision she made recently to keep a baby she knew would be born with Down's Syndrome. It would have been a difficult choice for me.

she has shown herself willing to go against the wishes of the oil companies for the good of the people she represents

That's funny. I guess that has changed...

I think this is pretty clear. She helped to pass legislation early on in office to increase taxes on oil and gas companies. She also rejected a gas pipeline deal put together by the former governor which would have given a 5% tax reduction as an incentive to build the pipeline. Her own plan which was passed was much less favorable to the oil companies. Also, before elected as governor, she served on the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission. She broke with fellow republicans and filed ethics complaints against her colleagues who were far too cozy with companies they were supposed to be regulating.

Your link showed that McCain has been receiving greater contributions from oil companies but said nothing about Palin. In fact, Palin also received significant campaign contributions from oil companies while she was running for governor, and the fact that she still opposed them while in office says a lot to me.

Don't get me wrong. I don't mean to say that I think that Palin is without fault, nor that she is the perfect candidate for me. For instance, I'm far more liberal than she is on environmental issues. But I think she shows more consistency and integrity on major issues than most other candidates (both McCain and Obama included). For this, I would be pleased to see her as the VP.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by 27jd]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by tamerlane
In fact, Palin also received significant campaign contributions from oil companies while she was running for governor, and the fact that she still opposed them while in office says a lot to me.

In Alaska that may very well have been the case, however, she is not going to be in charge anymore. The people who control her party on the national level have thus far been very non-opposed to the oil companies. If the republicans win the election, we'll have to see where that goes.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Dronetek

No no no... I don't think so, You are not pulling the "Dems do it too" card are you? The point is, you guys have coined the phrase "flip flopping" when referring to Democrats and took the moral "highground" This shows that you have no rights to this moral high-ground. BUSTED as they say...

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
C'mon folks, no matter what your politics are, Jon's show is designed to be entertainment, just like Limbaugh's show is entertainment. Yes, Jon does present some facts (I happen to love the show), but to debate his show as if it was a true representation of fact and reality? Hopefully, all here are intelligent enough to do their own research on things presented ANYWHERE in the media.....

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by habu71

I'm confused, are you suggesting that those clips are fabricated and not real? What facts does Stewart's show get wrong?

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by habu71

Ne'er a truer word's been said in jest. Because it is funny does not make it less true. It is funny because IT IS true.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek
Of course the focuses on the right leaning people to focus his attention on. We all know the democrats are just as hypocritical, but as usual the propaganda parade continues. Thats what happens when democrats control most every aspect of the media.

This also proves that there are people who take this stuff seriously as news.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by Dronetek]

ITS better than news... We got to see two separate clips and observe the hypocrisy
for our selves

John Stewart #1

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
These are indeed good clips and good points made, but come where have you been? Only someone in the media would be able to hunt these clips down.
Truth is there has always been plenty of hypocrisy to go around on both sides, always has and always will.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
As someone already said, it is sad that it takes a comedian to get the truth to the public. Of course, most know better than to watch it as a traditional news show. It is humorous. It has long been the right of the comedian to cross the boundary line of political correctness and state more truth than spin. Very few people in the normal world get away with blasting away at governments, races, religions, sexes, and more freely. Most of the time, people will laugh alongside.

The Daily Show is an excellent show, as is the Colbert Report and you can never talk about this group without lumping in the great Lewis Black. Comedy Central struck righteous gold when they started this show. As well, TDS ability to spin successful careers out of its cast reminds me of how many people owe their careers to SNL.
When I watched Robin Williams' "Man of the Year", the Daily Show was the first show I thought about.

Hard news? Nope. Party lines? I doubt it. However, they couldnt even make fun of the news if they didnt know what was going on and have a crack research team. So, I will keep watching, laughing, and taking a bit of stock in the (un)news that is presented there. Just keep feeding me my "moment of Zen".

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
For those that missed it, here it is:

www.youtube.com...

And, Newt trying dig out of the hole:

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 4-9-2008 by Milk]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Last night's Daily Show was incredible! After Tuesday night at the RNC being all about "service"

they proceeded to pound Obama for his community service...

Sarah Palin is unwavering on her anti-choice position, yet her daughter CHOSE to keep her baby. She had the choice. She made the choice.

Bristol Palin's CHOICE

Also, since when did John McCain become the candidate of CHANGE? LOL

For Change from the Bush Years, Vote Republican!

Good stuff!

[edit on 5-9-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

Alright, first things first.

Jon Stewart is a living GOD.

Now,

The funniest part of the show in the OP, the part that has me still pooping yes pooping my pants, is the bit at the Minneapolis Airport.

cc

He also made a personal pilgrimage.

wilshire

He completes me.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Of course the focuses on the right leaning people to focus his attention on. We all know the democrats are just as hypocritical, but as usual the propaganda parade continues. Thats what happens when democrats control most every aspect of the media.

Jon Stewart focuses on EVERYBODY! No one is off limits with this man.

I do find it odd that instead of commenting on what was presented in the video you just took a dig at democrats. You're always defending "the right" on all threads but when someone comes up with some in-your-face-evidence of BLATANT hypocrisy you've completely ignored that issue all together.

Also, everyone knows that The Daily Show IS NOT a news show (any more than Fox "news" is a news station). It's like saying the opening monologues on the David Letterman show is a news segment. It's obviously not. It's just people pointing out the retardation in the political arena. It's not news it's comedy. It is a chance to catch up on what is going on, yes...but they don't expect objective journalism and don't pretend that it is. They fully expect that Jon will be talking about the hot topics of the week and pointing out the stupidity of it all.

Do you have nothing to say on the blatant hypocrisy that was put forth in that video? Bill O'Reilly saying that pregnancy is a personal thing and is off limits, leave poor Bristol alone and it has nothing to do with Palin. But when Britney Spears' sister is pregnant OMG! how can this be and it's her parents fault??? You have nothing relevant to say about that?

You say the dems are hypocritical too. And I most certainly don't deny that but I didn't see you post any videos or transcripts to back your point up. If you find some post it here and I'm sure we'll all be happy to tear them apart too.

Also, I laughed my butt off at that video!! Jon Stewart is so flippin awesome! He always points out the stupidity with these people and instead of turning into hate speech like many pundits do, he turns it into something to laugh at. It's a breath of fresh air when this is a topic that is usually so serious.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by tamerlane

Don't forget "Teddy Bear" Sean Hannity!!
The ultra conservative Republican cheerleader, I have to laugh when I listen to his radio show or catch a glimpse of him on FOX.
The Teddy Bear has the audacity to lie, cover up and just make crap up to fit his agenda and it is so blatant. It is comical and I guess for those conservatives out there (like my mom) who get their prospective only from Hannity/Oreily/Fox News he is 100% correct, twisted as it is.
Nope, no recession here.
NOOO, the stock markets just fine
Gas Prices??? Just give it some time they will go back down but we should never ever blame big oil.
Bush is the greatest man that ever lived
everything is the fault of those damn dems, EVERYTHING

PLEASE do not get your news and prospective from one source, it will not kill you to change the channel once in a while or go online to just get another view.

I am neither a righty or a lefty I just have to point out the ridiculousness of this entire circus act.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
The best line from Stewart's show last night was the end of Huckabee's interview he said something like
" So you support your party going into fix what your party messed up"
or something along those lines.
Loved it!
Huckabee did a great job last night too, he has made multiple appearances on the show and always holds his own. He was funny, relaxed and confident for a suit

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Sarah Palin is unwavering on her anti-choice position, yet her daughter CHOSE to keep her baby. She had the choice. She made the choice.

The phrase "Pro Choice" is nothing but semantics because these advocates are conveniently hiding what they really mean.

Similar to how "Global Warming" has now been accurately changed to "Climate Change", it's time to quit with the political correctness and expose "Pro Choice" for what it really is, "Pro Death".

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Pro-Death? first of all your post isn't even really on topic, because last time i checked this was about a jon stewart segment and not abortion. and secondly, maybe you should choose your words more carefully because maybe there are people reading this who would find that highly offensive, being considered people who "pro-death".

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   

We have had 8 years of democrats since the 70's. Lets see Reagan 8, Bush 4, Bush 8. That's 20 years of Republicans during that same time frame.

So if you are right and the media is controlled by the Democrats its not helping. How about the supreme court which the the Republicans have controlled for years. How you think Bush was elected on his first term? So your statement is makes no sense.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
The funniest part of the show in the OP, the part that has me still pooping yes pooping my pants, is the bit at the Minneapolis Airport.

That was great too. I loved the part when Jason Jones said he had a small presence in the other stall, I almost woke the kids up laughing.

Last night's show with Huckabee should hopefully put to rest the comments about the show targeting the right exclusively. Huckabee and Stewart get along well and have fun, no negativity whatsoever.

As for that "pro-death" crap, please take that to the appropriate thread. This one is meant to be in good fun and as has been said a couple times, similar clips involving dems would be equally welcome here.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd

Finally, after showing video of Dick Morris complaining about the rampant sexism in the media coverage of Sarah Palin, Stewart unveiled a clip of Morris saying that Hillary hides behind the sexism defense, and that anytime "the big boys" pick on Hillary, "she retreats behind the apron strings."

"In Dick Morris' defense," Stewart said, "he is a lying sack of sh*t."

All fair criticism except the last part above. It is a clear cut case of apples and oranges. Both statements can be true without contradiction.

[edit on 9/5/2008 by Blaine91555]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join