It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jon Stewart nails Rove and others on Palin hypocrisy

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
If somebody has already posted a thread on this, I apologize.

This clip speaks for itself. I have to say I am pretty disinterested in this election, I am not liberal or conservative, I share views with both ridiculous extremes. But I have to say the right wins hands down when it comes to pure judgmental hypocrisy. All I can say is, wow.

Wednesday night on "The Daily Show," Jon Stewart hit Karl Rove and Bill O'Reilly with damning evidence of their hypocrisy regarding Vice Presidential nominee Sarah Palin.

While Rove recently praised Palin's experience as the mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, Stewart showed video of Rove trashing Virginia Governor — and former Richmond Mayor — Tim Kaine's executive experience, listing all the cities that are bigger than Richmond and calling such a pick "political."

Then, after recent video of O'Reilly describing Bristol Palin's pregnancy as a family issue, Stewart showed a clip of the Fox News host blaming Jamie Lynn Spears' parents for her teenage pregnancy.

Finally, after showing video of Dick Morris complaining about the rampant sexism in the media coverage of Sarah Palin, Stewart unveiled a clip of Morris saying that Hillary hides behind the sexism defense, and that anytime "the big boys" pick on Hillary, "she retreats behind the apron strings."

"In Dick Morris' defense," Stewart said, "he is a lying sack of sh*t."

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I saw that last night it was hilarious. His guest was Super Newt and even he couldn't dig these guys out of the hole they dug for themselves. I just wish Stewart was a full hour so he could get 2 segments from his guests and really get into it.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Of course the focuses on the right leaning people to focus his attention on. We all know the democrats are just as hypocritical, but as usual the propaganda parade continues. Thats what happens when democrats control most every aspect of the media.

This also proves that there are people who take this stuff seriously as news.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by Dronetek]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rook1545
I saw that last night it was hilarious. His guest was Super Newt and even he couldn't dig these guys out of the hole they dug for themselves.

Yeah, he just kinda laughed to himself and shook his head. There was nothing he could say. At the end of the interview Stewart made the point that even though they are trying to say her teen daughter's pregnancy should be off limits, and morally it should, it shows that this woman seemingly cannot even maintain the very "family values" she judges others on, and is supposed to be a champion for in her own family.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek
We all know the democrats are just as hypocritical, but as usual the propaganda parade continues. Thats what happens when democrats control most every aspect of the media.

I agree. I think most politicians are hypocritical, dems included. But the democrats do not control the media enough to erase past aired evidence of their hypocrisy, that would be impossible. So, by all means if you or others stating the case for the republicans have something this amusing I would like to see it. And I don't mean that in a partisan or standoffish way.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Jon Stewart is doing a masterful job at revealing hypocrisy in a very clear, understandable way. And he's hilarious! I loved the show last night. His stuff on Obama is hilarious, too.

I hope we don't make his job as easy for the next 4 years as it has been for the last 8.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
His stuff on Obama is hilarious, too.

Yeah, their coverage of the Obama vs. Clinton cluster was great. I know many see Stewart as a "liberal" type, but that show is as fair and balanced as they come. If you give them any rope, they'll hang you regardless of party affiliation.

The restroom bit last night had my sides hurting. Then I realized the people that I was laughing at the expense of because they are SO ridiculous, are the people that WE (allegedly) elect to run our country. That kinda sucks.

Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors

[edit on 4-9-2008 by dbates]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
His stuff on Obama is hilarious, too.

Yeah, their coverage of the Obama vs. Clinton clusterf!@k was great. I know many see Stewart as a "liberal" type, but that show is as fair and balanced as they come. If you give them any rope, they'll hang you regardless of party affiliation.

The restroom bit last night had my sides hurting. Then I realized the people that I was laughing at the expense of because they are SO ridiculous, are the people that WE (allegedly) elect to run our country. That kinda sucks.

Oh please, Stewart follows the same template that MSM does. If he makes fun of Obama, its "all in good fun". Hes not accusing Obama of anything and usually makes fun of the charges against Obama. Its completely the opposite when making fun of Republicans. The jokes are made to attack them as liars, warmongers, racists, ect. Which like I said, is exactly what the media does and than claims its balanced.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I have always found John Stewart to have his own agenda, like the rest of the world, but he is freakin hillarious about discussing it. I would probably laugh just as hard if he was picking on me. The guy deserved a medal. Now if Stephen Colbert was to enter the race as an independant.......
With John Stewart as a VP. The world leaders wouldn't have time to plot world destruction, they would be laughing too hard.
Stephen Colbert for prez.!

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
The problem is this. BOTH SIDES ARE GUILTY! They both have promised the same things they are each promising now for the past 3 decades and yet NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THEM HAVE FOLLOWED THROUGH ON THEIR PROMISES.

It's a game to divide and conquer and so many people are falling for it. Those that are passionate for the right are up in arms about this and are defending the hypocrisy. Those on the left claim it is true yet they pull the same crap.

One side will say that the media is liberal while the other says it is ultra conservative.

Well, I'm sorry to say this to those that believe either or: THE JOKE IS ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

The media's role now is to create chaos and confusion. They know that they can control the outcome of these elections by what lies they push the hardest. They can create a poll stating that one candidate is pulling ahead and people will buy it with zero validation.

They will pass on all of the dirt on EACH candidate and the very next day slam others that pass the same dirt onto THEIR candidates.

For those of you that have fallen for the farce that is the Republican and Democratic parties, I feel extremely sorry for you. I hate stated early on that I didn't know who I was going to vote for. I have since changed it to writing in Ron Paul.

He is someone that has been shut down by the media and that to me speaks VOLUMES!

Stop buying into the latest dirt and focus on what is important. The future and continued existence of this country. Get rid of the party lines and shock these egotistical jerks in government into doing what they are supposed to do. Work for you and me, the people (not citizen) of this country.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Oh please, Stewart follows the same template that MSM does.

Okay. I'm not here to try and sway your opinion on anything.

If he makes fun of Obama, its "all in good fun". Hes not accusing Obama of anything and usually makes fun of the charges against Obama.

What did he accuse McCain or Palin of? As for showing the hypocrisy of Rove and the others, that wasn't an accusation, that was a showcase.

Its completely the opposite when making fun of Republicans.

That's funny because it seems to me BOTH sides say this whenever they are not recieving the coverage they want from the media. I don't care either way. Seems to me Bill Clinton probably wishes your assertions are correct though.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Here's a video of the segment your talking about.

www.youtube.com...

Edited- Sorry didn't see the video in the article.

[edit on 9/4/2008 by Uniceft17]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I love Jon Stewart he really bring the big political hypocrisy in this nation alone with the rampant corruption of our system of government.

At least he makes the criticism in a way that we all can at least laugh about it.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Oh please, Stewart follows the same template that MSM does. If he makes fun of Obama, its "all in good fun". Hes not accusing Obama of anything and usually makes fun of the charges against Obama. Its completely the opposite when making fun of Republicans. The jokes are made to attack them as liars, warmongers, racists, ect. Which like I said, is exactly what the media does and than claims its balanced.

I don't agree with this. John Stewart doesn't care who you are, he will take you task. I think the first half of his show is not about pushing the left or right agenda, it is about making his colleagues in the media look like the clowns that they are. He does not pull his punches. If someone says something stupid he will call them on it. Isn't that what the media is supposed to do? Seems sad to me it takes a comedian to take the politicians of the country to task since the "real" media is too busy being lip to cheek.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

Okay, after watching the short clip, I must admit that I burst out laughing here in the middle of the office. LOL

Extended lunch so not slacking here.

I can see that he has his own agenda but he sure as hell puts it in a funny light. My sides are hurting.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by dariousg
I can see that he has his own agenda but he sure as hell puts it in a funny light. My sides are hurting.

Yeah, his own is the key word.

Here's a few links to him going after dems too...

www.huffingtonpost.com...

www.primetimepolitics.com...

www.oliverwillis.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I watched the show last night and it was hilarious! I love that show!

I align myself with the Republican party, but I freely admit that there is blatant hypocrisy among the right wing political pundits which Jon Stewart is pointing out. I am embarrassed to have Karl Rove and O'Reilly (among others) representing republican ideology.

They are not the only ones either damaging conservative views with their ridiculous arguments. Not long ago I was listening to Rush Limbaugh and he was justifying increased oil drilling by saying that oil is "harmless" because it is a "natural substance" and "produced by the earth" and "more natural than ethanol" which is man-made. That liberals were trying to create an artificial scare over burning oil because they don't control it.

At that moment he sounded like the biggest idiot in the world! Has he ever been in heavy traffic and smelled the exhaust? Does that seem healthy and harmless? And by the same argument he used, snake venom is produced naturally also, but anti-venoms are man-made. I guess snake venom is good for us and anti-venoms are bad.

And as for balance on the Daily Show...no, it clearly has a liberal slant. Yes, they will take jabs at Dems too, but the harshest criticisms are reserved for the right.

But that doesn't really bother me. It's funny anyways and rather insightful. I welcome the fact that someone is calling out our hypocritical and dishonest leadership, and I hope it inspires people to hold them accountable or replace them with leaders that are more open and honest.

As for Sarah Palin, yes it's ridiculous to try to justify her candidacy based on executive and foreign policy experience (like living near Russia means anything? I live in Alaska, too, so I guess that makes me just as qualified.
)

However, I was pleased to hear that Palin was the VP candidate (and not only because I'm an Alaskan). Her policy decisions show support for the conservative values that I hold, and even more importantly, she has shown herself willing to go against the wishes of the oil companies for the good of the people she represents. That is something very few politicians in this state have done because oil money is the mainstay of their political livelihood. As far as foreign policy experience, I think McCain has the experience and Palin will gain it quickly as VP and be ready if it is necessary for her to take office.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this--it's great to see Jon Stewart on a roll. He's one of the few reasons it's worth turning on the boob tube.

Of course, what he does--skewer important gas bags with their own words, revealing their hypocrisy and opportunism--is something that the MSM should be doing day in and day out, instead of licking these people's... ahem... boots.

For a generation now, stenography classes have been substituted for "journalism" classes, and reporters and editors can't challenge the lies to save their lives--only to save their meal tickets.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rook1545

I don't agree with this. John Stewart doesn't care who you are, he will take you task. I think the first half of his show is not about pushing the left or right agenda, it is about making his colleagues in the media look like the clowns that they are. He does not pull his punches. If someone says something stupid he will call them on it. Isn't that what the media is supposed to do? Seems sad to me it takes a comedian to take the politicians of the country to task since the "real" media is too busy being lip to cheek.

Yep Jon Stewart doesn't pull punches no matter who you are.

He despises hypocirsy in all of it's forms, and is very blatant and honest about that.

Probably *THE* most honest talking head there is.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by tamerlane
Her policy decisions show support for the conservative values that I hold, and even more importantly

What policy decisions are you referring to? Not teaching sex ed in school? I'm not up on Alaskan politics. However, as far as your conservative values are concerned, is it not apparent how impossible many of those values are to uphold? The very woman who is against sex education and promoting safe sex in schools now has a pregnant teen daughter. If I was one who believes there is a god wathcing over us, I'd say that's as clear a message as any.

she has shown herself willing to go against the wishes of the oil companies for the good of the people she represents

That's funny. I guess that has changed...

thinkprogress.org...

As far as foreign policy experience, I think McCain has the experience and Palin will gain it quickly as VP and be ready if it is necessary for her to take office.

I can't really speak much to McCain's foreign policy experience, that's not really an issue that is important to me personally.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by 27jd]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join