It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theory on how the accelarating universe be a sort of galactic global warming?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
This is just a theory/idea.

Here on earth we have global warming caused by fossil fuel use (granted not 100% proven but all signs point to yes). Now my thought is that could it be possible that the invisible energy (dark energy, dark matter) we theorize about is a sort of equivalent, though on many orders of magnitude to that of oil?

They say the universe is expanding at an ever faster rate, what if the reason it is doing so is as a result of type 2 and 3 civilizations using this dark energy to power their societies and space ships. The continued use of such a "material" will cause the universe to increase entropy or accelerate apart ever more, just like on earth the continued use of fossil fuels will cause higher co2 and pollutants in the atmosphere.

This obviously assumes many things, like their being type 2 and 3 civilizations or that fossil fuels are having an adverse effect on the atmosphere or that there is a "dark energy material" but with all these our calculations show that they are likely.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
We have no evidence that it's possible to convert dark energy into 'ordinary' energy; actually, we don't know for sure that dark energy exists; the universal expansion attributed to it may have some other cause. Our understanding of physics is far from complete, and there are many problems with the standard model, from which the concept of dark energy is derived.

But - and this is the real issue - it is dark energy, according to the most popular current ideas, that causes the accelerating expansion of the universe. So if you took dark energy out of the universe (by converting it to matter or 'ordinary' energy), you'd slow the expansion down, not speed it up.

Keep an eye out for what turns up in the forthcoming Large Hadron Collider experiments. I'm willing to bet a modest sum that the Higgs boson won't be found, nor any of the other hypothesized particles that supersymmetry demands exist.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Right so Dark energy being used would actually slow the expansion down. Then could it be possible that this dark energy is perhaps some form of used energy. Meaning that since energy can never be destroyed just altered from one phase to another that dark energy is a form of energy that has been used in such a manner that its sort of been corrupted.

The reason I am thinking this is that, from what I have seen everything seems to be repeated excepted on grander scales. Meaning that atomic organization is similar to that of solar systems and galaxies...i believe the term is called fractals or something. If this premise holds true then could be that like here on earth with co2 and other pollutants from oil... out in space the co2 equivalent is this dark energy? A sort of waste energy that is causing entropy to be sped up?

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Desolate Cancer

Well, they must have been using stuff up for a long time then, because they've used up most of the stuff in the cosmos. 73 percent of the universe, at a best guess, is composed of dark energy.

top topics

join