It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attacks, praise stretch truth at GOP convention

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Link

ST. PAUL, Minn. – Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin and her Republican supporters held back little Wednesday as they issued dismissive attacks on Barack Obama and flattering praise on her credentials to be vice president. In some cases, the reproach and the praise stretched the truth.

Some examples:

PALIN: "I have protected the taxpayers by vetoing wasteful spending ... and championed reform to end the abuses of earmark spending by Congress. I told the Congress 'thanks but no thanks' for that Bridge to Nowhere."

THE FACTS: As mayor of Wasilla, Palin hired a lobbyist and traveled to Washington annually to support earmarks for the town totaling $27 million. In her two years as governor, Alaska has requested nearly $750 million in special federal spending, by far the largest per-capita request in the nation. While Palin notes she rejected plans to build a $398 million bridge from Ketchikan to an island with 50 residents and an airport, that opposition came only after the plan was ridiculed nationally as a "bridge to nowhere."

FORMER ARKANSAS GOV. MIKE HUCKABEE: Palin "got more votes running for mayor of Wasilla, Alaska than Joe Biden got running for president of the United States."

THE FACTS: A whopper. Palin got 616 votes in the 1996 mayor's election, and got 909 in her 1999 re-election race, for a total of 1,525. Biden dropped out of the race after the Iowa caucuses, but he still got 76,165 votes in 23 states and the District of Columbia where he was on the ballot during the 2008 presidential primaries.

Quite an eye opening piece. These are just my two favorite lie.....I mean stretches of the truth in the article.

(Please see the above link for full story)

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
"Stretch the truth" is just a nice way to say "lie". They're lies. I hope people are wise enough to realize that. I think they are.

Great article! Flagged.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
There are a lot of "facts" in that fact check that are obviously the writers opinion. I also like the "fact" at the bottom about Democrats only being in control since January 2007, without mentioning their 18% approval rating.

Has the AP done any "fact checks" after any of the Obama speech or the DNC in general? I haven't been able to find one.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by Dronetek]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Dronetek

Not that I've seen.

In fact, I watched the speech last night on NBC. And not two seconds after the speech was over, Williams was pointing out errors and taking offense to the comments about the liberal media, and blatantly defending Obama.

The American people are not stupid. They can see right through these people.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek
Has the AP done any "fact checks" after any of the Obama speech or the DNC in general? I haven't been able to find one.

Why would they? He didn't lie. Sarah Palin did. Big difference. And THIS THREAD is about her lies in her speech.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Why would they? He didn't lie. Sarah Palin did. Big difference. And THIS THREAD is about her lies in her speech.

If you beleive that than the propaganda campaign has been working well. Its actually a surprise to me that you could be that naive.

Yes folks, we are all to beleive that everything you hear from the DNC is as clean and pure as the wind driven snow!

Give me a break...

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Its actually a surprise to me that you could be that naive.

Is it really? Not to me.

A lot of people honestly believe everything that comes out of Obamas mouth is 100% truth.

Now that we have explored Palins family and associations. I'm waiting on one of these major networks to finally get around to doing some "investigative work" on Obamas friendship with Ayers.

Although I won't hold my breath for that.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

If you watched Hardball at all yesterday you saw lots of people with signs that say, "You've Vetted Palin. Will you vette Obama?" and "MSNBC=DNC TV". It was great.

EDIT: Found a picture:

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
ENOUGH OF THIS DEFLECTION. Stay to the topic people.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
ENOUGH OF THIS DEFLECTION. Stay to the topic people.

How is it deflection? We are trying to discredit the premise that this is a legitimate "fact check".

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I would tell you how this is "deflection" but I'd rather not have my post removed and points docked with a warning.

---

I do agree this goes back to the issue of whether or not fact checks are given equally to each candidate. The OP made the assertion that Palin was lying about several issues. The next poster made reference to how Obama does not lie in his speeches. Now we are discussing that matter in regards to the media checking the facts of speeches.

Seems to be on track to me.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

HEY BH ? Ya this is it right here specifically... (#)

HIDDEN in plain sight FAIR AND BALANCED!

Mcpitbull is the same @!#$.... all you guys have to offer is divide divide divide.

It was apparent in the entire nights events that the goal is to do the same
thing and expect different results.

The GOP platform has been a failure...

Your SENATORS and REPRESENTATIVES constipate both of the houses to make it appear
as if people are not showing up for work. Mean while they are the ones obstructing
all the legislation that would help YOU and me.

They voted down gas gouging investigation proceeding for christ sake.

Same folks who laughed and said we don't know what your talking about during the "CALIFORNIA ENERGY CRISIS".

FAILURE AFTER FAILURE and you two are so WASHED that you can't see the reality.

You would rather see your country sold to the lowest bidder before you consider
opening your eyes! The saddest part is you intend to rocket the middle class in the ground on behest of fat ass RUSH and some ego trip you have identified with.
WE are all AMERICANS!

Wake up,,, Your acting like children, hardly the patriotic America you claim to represent!

(#)

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by teeveesfrank
THE FACTS: As mayor of Wasilla, Palin hired a lobbyist and traveled to Washington annually to support earmarks for the town totaling $27 million. In her two years as governor, Alaska has requested nearly $750 million in special federal spending, by far the largest per-capita request in the nation. While Palin notes she rejected plans to build a $398 million bridge from Ketchikan to an island with 50 residents and an airport, that opposition came only after the plan was ridiculed nationally as a "bridge to nowhere."

I'm sorry, but isn't improving the infrastructure and serving the needs of the people of her state the Governor's job?

FORMER ARKANSAS GOV. MIKE HUCKABEE: Palin "got more votes running for mayor of Wasilla, Alaska than Joe Biden got running for president of the United States."

THE FACTS: A whopper. Palin got 616 votes in the 1996 mayor's election, and got 909 in her 1999 re-election race, for a total of 1,525. Biden dropped out of the race after the Iowa caucuses, but he still got 76,165 votes in 23 states and the District of Columbia where he was on the ballot during the 2008 presidential primaries.

I believe it was intended as a Joke.. Apparently not everyone got it.

Quite an eye opening piece. These are just my two favorite lie.....I mean stretches of the truth in the article.

(Please see the above link for full story)
yeah, it was quite revealing..

[edit on 4-9-2008 by LLoyd45]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Why would they? He didn't lie.

They all lie....That is the reason we call them politicians.

They lie about each other, they lie about their plans, and they lie to the American people.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Link

Here is an even more elaborative article which also goes into more detail about Obama's cooperation with a personal favorite of mine, Richard Lugar.

Obama And Lugar Passed Law Boosting U.S. Efforts To Keep WMDs AndOther Dangerous Weapons Out Of The Hands Of Terrorists. In 2006,Obama and Lugar introduced The Cooperative Proliferation DetectionAct, which was passed by the Senate Foreign Relations Committeeunanimously on May 26, 2006 and was eventually incorporated into the Department of State Authorities Act of 2006 and signed into law onJanuary 11, 2007. According to a Senate Foreign Relations Committeereport on its legislative activity in the 109th Congress, “The committee passed S. 2566, The Cooperative Proliferation Detection,Interdiction Assistance, and Conventional Threat Reduction Act of 2006by unanimous consent on May 26, 2006. The legislation authored by Chairman Lugar and Senator Obama enhances: (1) U.S. cooperation with foreign governments to destroy conventional weapons stockpiles aroundthe world; and (2) the United States' ability to provide assistance to foreign governments aimed at helping them detect and interdict weapons and materials of mass destruction. The legislation, which garnered 26 co-sponsors (including 8 committee members), sought to energize U.S.programs to secure lightweight anti-aircraft missiles…The initiative was modeled after the Nunn-Lugar program that focuses on weapons of mass destruction in the former Soviet Union. The legislation was signed into law on January 11, 2007, as a part of H.R. 6060, theDepartment of State Authorities Act of 2006.” [P.L. 109-472, 1/11/07;House Report 109-706, 9/3/06; S. 2566, 109th Congress; S.1949, 109th Congress; Senate Report 110-40, 3/29/07]

Ø Lugar Said It Was Accurate That Said Obama Reached Out To HimAnd They Passed Legislation To Lock Down Loose Nuclear Weapons.“Republican Sen. Dick Lugar (IN) today said an Obama campaign ad which features him is ‘accurate.’ The ad makes the point the Obama previously ‘reached out’ to Lugar to ‘help lock down loose nuclear weapons.’ Lugar is widely considered one of the most knowledgeable in the area of nuclear weapons proliferation and the coauthored of the1991 Nunn-Lugar Act on cooperative threat reduction. ‘He did’ reachout, Lugar said. He explained that in 2005, Obama asked if he couldjoin Lugar on a trip to Russia and other countries to visit sitesunder the Nunn-Lugar program. ‘After that, we had legislation that we cosponsored together which passed’ dealing with dangerous missiles.‘So I am pleased we had that opportunity to work together,’ Lugarsaid. ‘I'm pleased we had the association Sen. Obama describes.’ But Lugar made clear up front that while the ad was accurate, and he's comfortable with the association, ‘There is no chance I will consider running with Barack Obama.’” [MSNBC, 7/15/08]

This article goes into even more detail with Palin's inaccuracies.

new topics

top topics

join