It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who wrote Palin speech? the former Bush speechwriter

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Perhaps we should have him for VP because originality was not Ms. Palin best attribute after all.

It was comforting to learn that Sarah Palin has entrusted her first make-or-break speech to my friend Matthew Scully, the former Bush speechwriter (maybe he can slip in a line vowing to take on the factory farms!) What are the key goals for the Palin address tonight?

blog.beliefnet.com...

What a joke.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
OK you know who wrote Palin's speech. But can you tell me who wrote Obama's acceptance speech, or Joe Biden's?

Here's a hint. They didn't do it themselves.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
So if you get the right guy to help you write a speech, you'll automatically be applauded by millions and cheered as being brilliant? I don't think so. Words are just ink on paper until someone brings them to life. That my friend takes quite a bit of natural talent and skill.

Do you think George Bush could have given that speech so well? I don't think so. She's gifted.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Of course she didn't write it. She read it real good, though!
She IS gifted! She did a great job! She's exciting and unifying for the party, something they sorely needed. No doubt about that.

She gives a good speech. I don't think that matters to the families living on the streets and out of jobs.

She's going to be great for the McCain/Bush campaign. She'll take her charm and good looks and lilting laughter (
) and go in there and do whatever the party tells her to do. She'll be a wonderful little puppet.

Originally posted by RRconservative
They didn't do it themselves.

Who did? You got a link?

[edit on 4-9-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I believe that would be Jon Favreau.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I feel that to take the credit for something that is no original is deceiveing and I think that at least any of our so call brillinat speakers that happen to be poltical candidates and gaining the admiration of their flock should at least be honest enough to give also credit for those that do all the job for them.

I applaud the brilliant work of Matthew Scully.
she just read good and look pretty.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
OK you know who wrote Palin's speech. But can you tell me who wrote Obama's acceptance speech, or Joe Biden's?

Here's a hint. They didn't do it themselves.

Well, it's easy to know that Biden didn't write his own speech; he's already known to plagiarize stuff!!!

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
So that's it? Again, the rebuttal to her once again is on mundane side topics that have little to do with her. "Oooh look at her daughter's myspace page" and "Her husband had a DUI 20 years ago". Now it's "She used a speech writer so she's a fake."

If that's all the rebuke you can say about her, then I'd say you got nothing. Everyone uses speech writers. Even Obama. Is he a fraud then? What a silly concept.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Arizona State's Matthew Scully, Sarah Palin's Speechwriter

More on the brilliant men.

He's a pro-God, pro-veggie kinda guy, just the sort of iconoclast you'd expect to be ghosting for the likes of Palin. (Though I wonder what he thinks of all the hunting rifles and animal skin rugs.)

blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com...

I guess he is just a regular guy good with words. He also have verious books wrtten.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
So that's it? Again, the rebuttal to her once again is on mundane side topics that have little to do with her. "Oooh look at her daughter's myspace page" and "Her husband had a DUI 20 years ago". Now it's "She used a speech writer so she's a fake."

If that's all the rebuke you can say about her, then I'd say you got nothing. Everyone uses speech writers. Even Obama. Is he a fraud then? What a silly concept.

They need to grasp at something. I'm surprised they aren't saying more about her husbands DUI, but then they know everyone would bring up Teddy Kennedy!

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Probably the last US president to write his own speeches was Lincoln, and he didn't do such a bad job at it. JFK, whose speeches were often magnificent, used Theodore Sorenson from Harvard. Ronnie, the "great Communicator," used Peggy Noonan.

They all use speech writers. This is nothing to critique; it is SOP for any politician whose words will actually be listened to beyond a town council.

Believe me, you should be thankful they do; can you imagine what it'd be like to listen to a speech actually written by Bush I or II?

[typos]

[edit on 4-9-2008 by gottago]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   
You liberals don't get it do you? You'll spend now till November talking about everything from what kind of shoes she wears, if her hair looks better up or down, or how may boyfriends her daughter has kissed.

If you can't talk about the substance of her speech, the platform and ideas of the McCain/Palin ticket, then you're sunk. They won't stop slamming Obama while your busy worrying about her latest color of lipstick.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I feel that to take the credit for something that is no original is deceiveing and I think that at least any of our so call brillinat speakers that happen to be poltical candidates and gaining the admiration of their flock should at least be honest enough to give also credit for those that do all the job for them.

I applaud the brilliant work of Matthew Scully.
she just read good and look pretty.

Where did she take credit for the speech, marg?

I think you're confusing her with Joe "The Plagiarist" Biden.

Scully is a gifted writer. But the delivery is the key.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Why is it that all the democrats have right now is "vote for McCain, get Bush", is it beyond comprehension that people are different or is it more the point that they have resorted because they cant win on substance and argument?

What seperates a good speech from a great speech isn't so much the content but the delivery and conviction. Words are often empty, but Sarah Palin, in my opinion sounded a hell of a lot more genuine than Biden!

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
EVERY time I hear a comment about how 'pretty' she is, it's like someone hits me in the gut. Particularly when, it seems to be one of the foremost comments in almost every thread about her.

If she were fat, ugly, or grey haired and 60, would people be backing her as strongly?

I am really afraid that they wouldn't.

And that scares me. If the US presidental election has boiled down to a 'who's the prettiest', then I think I'm ill.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   

I believe that would be Jon Favreau.

That's what I thought. But I don't believe he WRITES Obama's speeches so much as edits them.

Favreau and Obama rapidly found a relatively direct way to work with each other. "What I do is to sit with him for half an hour," Favreau explains. "He talks and I type everything he says. I reshape it, I write. He writes, he reshapes it. That's how we get a finished product.

"It's a great way to write speeches. A lot of times, you write something, you hand it in, it gets hacked by advisers, it gets to the candidate and then it gets sent back to you. This is a much more intimate way to work."

Some speeches are much more the product of the candidate himself. Obama e-mailed Favreau his draft of his announcement speech in Springfield, Ill., at 4 a.m. on the morning of the campaign launch last February.

Source

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   

You liberals don't get it do you?

The title of this thread is "Who wrote Palin's Speech"? And right away the rebuttal is to start attacking Obama, Biden and "you liberals"!

And you're complaining about intelligent rebuttal? Give me a break!

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Yes, "Who wrote Palin's speech" is just another tangent to the real issues.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Like I said it won't be long before we know what kind of undergarment she wears.

All the speeches were prepared by speechwriters. What's the big deal. The only way the speech can be effective is if you have somebody that can articulate it in a fashionable method. Otherwise the speech comes across as weak.

Considering all the pressure she had on her to deliver a good speech, she did way better than anyone could have imagined.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Doesn't matter to me if she writes her own speeches or not. Fact is, she knocked one out of the ballpark last night. She called the media on their sleazy attacks on her family, she called the Obama campaign on being two-faced when talking about blue collar workers, she laid it out that she was going to Washington DC to serve the people of America, not attend a 4 to 8 year party like Obama thinks will happen.

Marg she did a great job and you sound so sour that you just can't admit it. Geez, even the Conservatives on here gave Clinton props for her speech, but you can't seem to muster anything but sarcasm. Why is that?

* Edit - apologies to BH for misinterpretation of post

[edit on 4-9-2008 by sos37]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join