It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Close Call in November

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 05:52 AM
link   
The Sun nearly shut down the Earth last November when a wave of massive explosions on the Sun threatened power grids all over the world. This solar flare, which hasn't been measured until now, was so violent that satellite detectors were unable to record its true size. It shot charged electrical particles and gas into space at two million miles per hour. Scientists in New Zealand say it almost caused unimaginable destruction.

Close Call in November

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 06:02 AM
link   
nice find

it's happened before, in the 1980's. a large part of canada went black after a solar flare. it was one of those western provinces, i think.

as for the black out? i thought it was one of the greatest things ever. do you know how many stars i could see? i set up my telescope here in detroit, for pete's sake! oh, not to mention all the aurora there was. we need another one!

as for the article? well, solar flares are always around that velocity. and the sun spits out billions of tons of particles every day as well. this was just highly more condensed. i wish in the article they had said how much it was... like protons per cm^3 and whatnot.

join