It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hoodies, hats banned from shops

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by KTK
Ha try living there....ITS ABOUT THE KIDS NOT THE HOODIES

My Nan has lived in the area for the last 15 years. My good friend was born and bred in the area. There are 2 reasons for the feral teens.

Bout 10 years ago the area had a masive influx of people who had sold their houses in the outer suburbs of Sydney and Melbourne. These kids parents had alot of disposable cash to indulge thier toddlers in. These are the sorts who dont disipline thier kids nor do they actually care what the kids are up to cause whatever it is, it is no where as bad as it would be in balcktown or frankston from which they came.
The areas demographics is retired folk and these types of families with not much in between. The infrastructure of the area is poor for the kids. The retirees have lawn bowls and clubs, they are catered for and the kids are forgotten , BORED with little disipline or respect.

Now the area is small and every teen knows each other as there arnt many schools either. Substance abuse and teen pregnancies are rife in the area

These kids would hit the mall en mass and intimidate and roll folk, smash and grab from shops, we arnt talking 5 or 6 kids we are talking groups of 20+++++++

So its not about the hoodies its about the kids with anti social personality disorders who beat up old people and families with young kids, while they are trying to go to woollies to get thier groceries.

The hoodies (racked from city beach tweed city)just give a fair indication that the wearer is an anti social f***tard.

I suppose its what happens when kids are overindulged and undersupervised.

Its not just this area though its all over oz, no wonder they want to charge and arrest parents for thier crap kids.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by KTK]

This is how i used to talk about strife kids till i had my own. When you dont have kids you babble on about others kids and then one day you have your own then you understand and your life simply changes. I agree alot of parents are lazy with their children. But i dont agree with a nanny state. All parents should stand up and discipline their kids. But its a bit hard since the stupid law is that you cant discipline your children in public. So then what happens your kids grow up to be ignorant and disrespectful because they get to do whatever they want. And why? because of people like you who get all witchy about the discipline of kids and then inact laws where they cant eb disciplined. Live with it. Thats how mouthers like you and i built it.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   
the nanny state is a direct cause of neglected parenting and it is the TOP reason why kids today are just bonkers.

hooded swetshirts are "sporting apparel" it is the equalient of buying milk at your local store with hockey pants on or going to your local mall in golf shoes, its your call but i wouldent say the most enlighted.

im not in favour of banning clothes based on what they might cause , because if you ban clothes on the basics of that it might be a robber underneath a hood then you might aswell say that crowbars cant be sold because it might be used in a robbery.

dont blame the kids
blame the parents ,

KTK

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   
HEY MEADOWFAIRY

I have kids and am only the next generation above them. I am familiar with what is going on in the area as well, if not predicted it due to lack of infrastructure for youngsters.

I have more than a right to state my observations based on first hand experience.

Ever been to tweed city????

Guess what if my kids grow up to beat up old ladies, I think I should be charged and held acountable till they are old enough to be jailed.

I take responsiblility of my kids and dont blame others or teachers/schools for thier behaviour.

Its not parents like me that are the problem love.......

[edit on 5-9-2008 by KTK]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
The area i live in is with the worst of them and many people died from bashing here.

Agreed but then again when you look at most parents here(off those kids) which i do observe they are all junkies and naturally careless. Juvenile detention is near my area and there is escapes nearly every 2 weeks.

Teenagers are still under the care of their parents but no matter what they will always do what their peers do.

I do not believe its all the parents fault as society built around the fact that parents should be lazy, hand em over to other people to indoctrinate them(daycares etc), tell them they should be able to do what their friends do etc etc. Make them eat poisonous unhealthy junkfoods till they have other addictions(alcohol and drugs) and you wonder why they are all out of control?

Besides you will find most of those kids hardly had parents and grew up in foster homes.

[edit on 5-9-2008 by meadowfairy]

[edit on 5-9-2008 by meadowfairy]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyjackblack
reply to post by spitefulgod

You just don't like hoodies, you sexy asian profile pic!

I like hoodies, in fact I need them for health reasons, I'm a thermophile and I need the heat to keep me from getting sick.

-Jimmy

But there is a difference between the slow sloth like qualities of a rocker/goth/emo and the "you what", ten man qualities of a trendy/chav/asshole.

Saying that though your depressive/seen it/done it attitude make me wonder about you and whether you do indeed have penchant for thievery!!!! Cuff that hoodie boys!!

I was enlightened to a new stereotype over the week though. Check urban dictionary for Freshboy

[edit] Chuff??? What's a chuff?

[edit on 5/9/2008 by spitefulgod]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 03:05 AM
link   
There still seems to be much confusion over the issue of "'s not dur hoodies, its der kids".

We, of course, are fully aware that articles of clothing are not leaping up in the dead of night, when the angelic children are fast asleep in their beds, assembling themselves to look like a human teenager and then running off to rob corner shops and intimidate people walking home.

I want to make that clear, so you will no longer need to say "it is not the hoodies, its the kids". Okay? We get it. Now, we want you to understand what we are saying.

The hoodies are a facilitator.

They provide anonymity, and when a kid is thinking about committing a crime, the ability to hide your face means you are less afraid of the consequences, which is what the law is all about: consequences.

You might not commit crimes because you find them morally abhorrent, but when these little punks don't commit crimes because they are afraid of getting caught.

Wearing a hoodie removes the threat of getting caught, thus removes the fear of consequences.

Now, I know your fingers are itching to interrupt me with a "but its the kids, not the hoodies!", but stay with me here.

Not allowing the kids to wear hoodies means that the kids will be restrained from committing gross crimes because people will be able to find out who they are and extract punishment upon them.

Therefore without the hoodies, the kids who wish to commit crimes will find themselves with less opportunity to do so, and therefore less crime will be committed.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by C.C.Benjamin
Police state my arse, I have no sympathy for these hoodie kids. If you need to hide your face, you've done something wrong.

I really don't like all of those people who's online names have C then C then B, damn they're all the same....

Sorry i thought we were sterotyping...

Fox

( o im a high elve player for Warhammer Fantasy battle, this isnt a 40K vs WFB post
)

[edit on 5-9-2008 by ProTo Fire Fox]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 03:59 AM
link   
LOL maybe they are the same people who are haunted by shadow people described in the paranormal forum who are known to have hoodlike appearances. So they tend to get a bit carried away and start stereotyping. But them thats my assumption

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I'm sorry, here I go I'm going to say something that gets me in trouble for being politically incorrect agian...

Banning Hoddies doesn't change anything niether does any law, Jail can at best be school for criminal behavior.

There is only one answer, kids wearing a closed hoodie are probably thugs and punks ... and you'll know if it's a really shy kid lol

Dad needs be allowed to kick the kids ass

If the state has to step in, it needs to be corperal punishment like those American Grafitti kids in Singapore... maybe not a cane that leaves the permanent mark...

But severe pain, that works, it's the only thing that works

Everybody acts like an ass whooping is bad because of fools that abuse thier kids.

But reality check,

It's a lifetime of discipline to make an aggressive teen not act like a punk, it's conditioning, not ruining a kids life but locking him in jail when he finally really hurts someone, it's a smack in the arse when he doesn't listen when young and it needs to be done

and IF my kid was say 16 and he was intimidating old people at the mall, or out being a thug. MY Choice as a parent

Leave him for the State to get ahold of and put away and ruin his record...

Or

Go down there myself take him and his punk friends around the corner and deal with it?

I guarantee those kids go on to be a part of scoiety without a ruined life and also NEVER do it again when I get done with them.

I also Guarantee send them to jail they absolutely will do it again

Ending corporal punishment was the perfect way to criminalize our society so that money could be made from a prison system

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

I reserved the right to smack my kids - but that was decades ago.

I made sure they knew I reserved that right as I found that anticipation of punishment was an even more effective teaching tool.

They need to be threatned with pain, but by a person who is morally restrained from ever actually inflicting it. They don't know you won't hit 'em, but they'll still spend hours in their rooms waiting in nerve shattering anticipation over something that possibility. Then when you do punish them, they are thankful to be grounded or have their bike taken for the week, or given broccoli sandwiches.

The police used to do it to.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
Dad needs be allowed to kick the kids ass

In many cases "dad" isn't around.

In many cases the parents think loving their kid means taking their kids side.

In many cases when the kid gets into minor trouble (like at school) the parents side with the kid against the teachers or other parents that are unfairly "persecuting" their child.

In many cases if the kid DOES get into serious trouble the parents are busy making excuses (he's a good kid, really, he just fell in with a bad crowd and robbed that lady).

In many cases if the kid gets into trouble and ends up dead then he is a martyr to his parents (just because he was robbing that house with a gun, that doesn't mean the homeowner should have shot him or just because he ripped off some drug dealers, that doesn't mean they should have come after him).

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

my opinion, i dont think banning hoodies will deter people from shop lifting at all and if the people who think they're being discrimnated against have a prob, they should do something about it. though, i doubt they will and just remove their hoodies.....

its like when we were told we couldent smoke or ride skateboards in a shopping centre. we b*icthed and moaned for awhile then got over it.
sure its s*cks rarara though thats life unfortunatley.

btw, i heard those noises in the bourke st mall and i'm 32!!!

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Um guys if you walk into a shop with a massive hood or a hat covering your face then youre asking for trouble.

I wear hoodies all the time, but I always take the hood off when entering a shop. It is dodgy as hell for starters. Secondly I think its rude.

My 2 dollars.

[edit on 5-9-2008 by seenitall]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I work in CCTV in a shopping centre.

I work in a shopping centre in Doncaster UK and all our staff think its right to ban hoodies and hats that cover their faces.

Alot of older folk who use the shopping centre do get scared of these hooded youths walking around like they own everything. With the Amount of Purse snatchers and muggers its no wonder people get a bit freaked out.

If you have nothing to hide then why hide your face.

It wont be to long before all CCTV systems will be upgraded to facial recgocnition. We already have vehical number registration CCTV in the multi story carparks for the centre.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
This happened in UK shopping centers ages ago if I remember correctly.. or at least one. Many people own a hoodie tho, myself included. Groups of hoodie wearing kids generally are trouble in UK so I understand to an extent.. point is to differentiate between people who are trouble and those who are innocent shoppers... that should be up to a security officers inteligence... and they cant be bothered with the extra thinking so they just ban hoodies? fair dos in that sense.

Well I say in that case if they can ban hoodies from places for intimidating purposes then they can ban Muslim 'ninja wear' as I call it.. no disrespect I love ninjas
thats what it looks like.. ok so they havnt got a reputation for mugging people on the street and being trouble.. but its far more unnerving and offensive (on a communications level) than some kid in a hoodie... to some people.. not only that.. it could be anybody in there! could be a male.. at worst a suicide bomber
but because its their religion they have more rights n our own countries...

Very annoying..

edit >> I forgot to say if someone is wearing the hood 'up' inside they should be made to take it off.. if they dont they are no doubt trouble and should be kicked out

[edit on 5-9-2008 by True-Light]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ezappa
If you have nothing to hide then why hide your face.

I feel compelled to emphasize these statements on ATS whenever I see them. If you have nothing to hide, why are you posting with a pseudonym, and behind a fake avatar?

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

reply to post by Sonya610

There have been times we have disagreed on subjects and that is fine each subject is different to each person that is what makes us individuals.

I just want to point out I agree with you on both of these posts. As well as add a few things to what you were saying.

Really there is nothing wrong with this and it is a private rule not a law for those who think differently. I get tired of people saying this is law or police state when it is a business decision. If someone does not agree with the decision go someplace else. Every bank I can think of locally has the same rules in effect; they include sunglasses and hats as well. I guess most people opposing this do not bank or somehow their banks do not have such rules yet. The most they can do is ask you to leave at which point if you refuse you are trespassing. Despite popular belief you are in the public when in a privately owned business not in a public place.

I do not visit my bank often as I have direct deposit and use a check card for 99% of things. I do though still wear my hat when I have had to go and sign for home/car loans. I still wore my sunglasses for the first few minutes while my eye adjusted to a lower light condition (a lot of light bothers my eyes). Not once has anybody talked me for wearing either nor have they asked me to take them off. I believe the biggest issue is what you represent yourself to be and your actions. If I walk into the bank and start looking around or acting funny chances are I will stick out being that I am wearing the things I am and will be noticed even more.

I have seen plenty of the criminal types driving cars that cost more than mine, wearing clothing/jewelry/shoes that cost far more than I am willing to spend on such things and see them using/buying drugs that cost what would be about a half or full day’s pay. If they have this sort of cash to blow they are choosing to remain in the areas they are. They are also choosing to remain criminals as well. They are young healthy and able to work (factories around here are always hiring) thing is they are too lazy to work for their cash they want it free and easy.

I wonder though if some posters on here had parents that let them do whatever they wanted. Every place has rules; you either follow them or don’t go there. Just because someplace says “no shirt, no shoes, no service” should we get all huffy and complain as well or should we look at it as not everyone wanting to see your hairy disgusting body? What about the cell phones and the theater how many people getting mad about this are mad about that? Sorry but if I owned my own business I want full rights to be able to place rules that I choose and serve those I choose to serve. Or should we start allowing government take over those choices for the businesses?

Raist

[edit on 9/5/08 by Raist]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

I can agree with this also. Whatever happened to children getting their butts whipped? It is not abuse despite what some would say as there is a difference. I am not saying beat the kid until they bruise or bleed. I mean to simply spank their butts. They even did this in schools when I went to school; I tried to avoid them for many reasons. I got them in school and at home both; I’m not out killing people or beating my son.

Today I think some of the parents need a butt whipping too seeing as how they let their kids run amuck.

Of course we can always let our kids do as they wish and see what our society becomes. But I think there is a good indication of how that will turn out by looking at much of society now.

Raist

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

I work in a shopping centre where we have had this for 2 years, the centre itself is classed as private property and we have a code of conduct to be followed. The majority of the youth comply straight away. The intention is to provide a safe and secure environment for the shoppers who are there and due to the effect a group wearing hoodies have this was introduced

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I think this is stupid and discriminative.

If someone could really be bothered wasting money, they could take it to court.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join