It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beware of Google Chrome End User License Agreement

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Beware of Google Chrome End User License Agreement

masudblog.com

Amidst the euphoria and media frenzy surrounding the release of Google’s very own web browser Chrome, many people who excitedly downloaded this browser didn’t read the EULA (End User License Agreement) most people don’t. However, it has come to light that Google have included a clause in their EULA for Chrome that any content that you submit using the Chrome browser can be used by Google in anyway it chooses without paying royalties to you. Now in most cases this is not a problem, as most people.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.allheadlinenews.com
gizmodo.com

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   
The additional links are showing where Google is already said, that they're going to change the license agreement. Well. The question remains, when...

It's starting to remembering me to the Orphan Bill, where global companies are conspiring against the individuals. Is that bill is passed or what?

Orphan Bill Project
www.youtube.com...

masudblog.com

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Google have already retracted that part of the EULA

Originally posted by Sheridan

Google restores Chrome's shine

The Register

Google has acted with speed and retracted the objectional sentences in Chrome's EULA, so that any content you post via Chrome is yours and yours alone.

The ruckus was caused by our old friends, the paralegal firm Cut 'n' Paste Inc. Their employment has now been terminated and a new contract arranged with Fink First, Cut 'n' Paste who have produced a revised section 11 reading:

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights that you already hold in Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services.
There are no qualifying sub-sections at all.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by arnold_vosloo

I know. It's in one of the upper link. I believe it would be better if we, simply users are going to be more cautious from now on, because these globalist bastards are really intend to get our privacy.

Imagine what would happen if no one would read the previous EULA as people are usually not doing.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   

"Google’s very own web browser Chrome, many people who excitedly downloaded this browser didn’t read the EULA.."

Web browser, so thats firefox/iexplorer etc? So according to this first edit, google owned the rights to anything and everything, you go onto in your browser?? I'm confused, if I were to place a patent on here, for anything, and I was using Chrome, google would own it? is that what it means?

thanks. EMM

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   
They have changed the wording .... see article below

BBC

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
If you're worried about privacy, you're not using chrome anyway. If you're worried about privacy, you're not using anything with "Google" anywhere on it...

Viva la Scroogle!

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I'll never use Chrome and the "sloppiness" of the wording of the EULA pretty much sums up why not.

Like Unit541, I use Scroogle, and recommend it highly. Firefox, which is open-source, can be configured with various plugins to raise your online security far above other browsers. Educate yourself a bit and get a script blocker and a proxy, and learn how to use them, and don't go signing up for endless services that require tracking.

Google apps, apart from GoogleEarth, are usually simplistic in the extreme and not worth the nothing you pay for them.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Sheridan

im more worried about the
'' can be used in anyway they want ''
part... sure they can take away the royalities and alter copyright.. but does this still mean they arent noting everthing you do?

just because they dont use it to make money, thus needing no copyright thus no royalties, dont in my mind mean they arent storing it, and using it.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
no one should use chrome right now, lets just wait and see what they make of it. from what i understand google never does anything out of kindness, every product is meant to monitor us in some way. although i believe people out there say that chrome is better than firefox in speed and stability but i hate to see all internet users becoming part of google's statistics and advertisement solutions.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Microsoft tried this sh...stuff with their free online e-mail years ago, and tried it again when they bought hotmail. It basically stated that anything you sent in E-MAIL belonged to microsoft, and they could use it anyway they wanted to.

In the end, Microsoft had to change it, because they were losing people in droves. The same will happen to google.

Let's not forget that Google was founded with seed money from the CIA. FACT.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unit541
If you're worried about privacy, you're not using chrome anyway. If you're worried about privacy, you're not using anything with "Google" anywhere on it...

Damn straight. As soon as I found out Google was coming out with a browser, I vowed to never let it touch my desktop. Sure it may be superfast, but with Googles history of handing over information to intelligence agencies, I won't touch chrome with a 20 foot pole.

Firefox and Safari are more than enough for me.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by ben420]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
so basically anything you view/visit in chrome google is monitoring it?

and it would be hard not to use anything google.. seeing how every page on the web seems to somehow link to google

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Sheridan

the computer tech that just repaired/rebuilt this old one that was hacked(see todays bbc news about hackers) into self-destruction(the hard driven had to be replaced)also changed me over to firefox from explorer for a browser.
compared to what i had to put up with from microsoft's forced upon you pop up add's which would turn any normal person away from buying their stuff,firefox is a welcome relief that doesn't force the adds down your throat-----so i think i'll stick with them unless they start treating me like microsoft did----which is like they think you can't live without them? or start to question you when you want to download adobe flash-----where did you get this computer from----what is the id#----------like its any of their business whose computer this is that i'm using thru rogers that i presently pay for internet service.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Just to clarify, not only does google monitor everything, the company stores all searches, email, and instant message content that is transmitted thru their services. One of the reasons I quit Gmail and do not utilise google products/services for any reason.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
EXCELLENT catch, guys! This is why I love ATS. I use Opera (LOVE IT!) and will now be utilizing scroogle instead of ask and dogpile! I use proxies at work, but have found them slow and cumbersome. Granted, if "they" want to watch me, there's NOTHING I can do, but I just don't like Google and their ilk being able to SELL the fact that I am a BBW lover with a foot fetish into Ninjas, Zombies, Airsoft and Conspiracies, y'know?

I wonder if the people who signed on to Chrome before the wording change are bound by the old language?

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by yahn goodey
so i think i'll stick with them unless they start treating me like microsoft did----

Firefox will not do this because it is opensource...

Meaning many people work on this project.. it is not owned by anyone.. therefor will not be corprate owned...

Learn what open source is then you will see what i mean.. Same thing with Linux.. and more better than most crap you buy..

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Even though the offending clause has been retracted, I find the concept of the original language hard to believe. For Google to attempt to enforce it's claims on your submitted data, it would seem to me at least, it would have to have a way of getting that data.

Anything other than real-time capture would be absurd, there would be no way to prove some data submitted from IP x.x.x.x was using the Chrome browser unless the host-site was logging that information, which is not at all difficult or even unusual. Google would have to access other company's http traffic logs and match the data to evidence of the Chrome browser, which is completely crazy. The only other way is of course live capture, which would mean the data is being aggregated in real time and either stored locally or immediately transferred to Google. As an open-source product, it would be immediately evident to a programmer if such a mechanism existed and he was trying to find it.

I'm not saying I doubt Google's intent to mine data, they are biggest commercial data-miner ever, but I am suspicious of how they planned on implementing this into open-source code.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I think the main thing that concerns me about google, is that they are pretty quick to turn over user info to authorities when asked. Because of google, a few international bloggers have been jailed.

I think their EULA is set up so that they are covered when they inevitably turn over your browsing history to authorities. I don't trust google. I will be sticking with firefox.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

Uh... Chrome is Open Source. Don't want to use the binary Google provides? Just download the source and compile your own. Bonus, you're not subject to Google's ELUA when you do this.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join