It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just how stupid are people?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I thought people had woken up to this kind of thing a long time ago but it seems that there are still those lonely enough to fork over thousands of dollars to unknown and possibly even non existant people.

The alert comes after a man lost $20,000 to someone he met online and a woman was left waiting at an airport.

Queensland State Police Minister Judy Spence said police were investigating a number of internet-based scams in which lonely and vulnerable people had been fleeced thousands of dollars.

Ms Spence said two recent victims were a 45-year-old man and a 47-year-old woman.

"The male victim was fleeced of approximately $20,000 through a scam which began when he met someone he believed was a potential female friend on an online personal site," she said.

"And the female victim lost thousands of dollars and was left waiting at the airport after she sent money to a man she met on a web-based matchfinder.

One report even said that the abovementioned female received a new email from another contact looking to engage in a long distance relationship while he was working in Nigeria....I think the sheer mention of Nigeria should be enough to set alarm bells ringing...

And they still use the same tired old rorts

Once a relationship has begun they then ask for money to by an airline ticket to visit the victim, seal a business deal, pay for medical expenses after an accident, or to tide them over after a robbery or because of corrupt officials, Supt Hay said.

I think that after all the warnings we have had over the years anyone getting sucked into this deserve what they get.

I read another article recently that said the people who were charged for orchestrating the 'nigerian' scams suggested that the victims should be charged because of thier greed. Now THAT is funny...and I see thier point.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
It is terrible!! I think the media should report on this daily!! Some people just are not informed or maybe elderly, or new to the internet. It needs to be broadcasted more than the 08 election garbage. They need to get the word out! That crap makes me so mad!!

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
The woman I married was the result of an "internet encounter." However, we both were cautious & built up trust before we even met for the first time. That first encounter was not through an "unsolicited email" like so many people that do get scammed, so that was at least one good indicator.

When we finally decided to meet, I paid for a bus ticket (We lived in the same country, but different States) but I did so cautiously...I paid for the ticket directly to the bus company & set it so that only I could actually cash it out.

We met face to face for the first time during the Christmas holidays that year & we were married on the next Valentine's Day. We've been married for over 9 years now & I still don't have any regrets.

Yeah, it can work out well, but you still need to use caution & exercise some personal responsibility until you can be reasonably certain that there's no scamming involved.

But, as a final word, I'd like to close my posting in this thread with words from (perhaps arguably) one of the most intelligent men who ever lived:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -- Albert Einstein

[edit on 4-9-2008 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Re: Op's Title: "Just how stupid are people?" I think this thread may need to be looked at by the mods because we may get dozens of posts that are hundreds of pages long. This is going to be a painfully fun thread to watch.

ColoradoJens

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   
How stupid are people?

Aside from the internet scams and marriage-agency scams there are the election scams.

which is how the USA finds itself hated by ... well pretty much everyone but Georgia and Britain.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:28 AM
link   
How stupid are people?

How long have you got?

The list is endless...

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by budski
How stupid are people?

How long have you got?

The list is endless...

Says it all, sad for them though, but there really is scum out there.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:32 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I remember seeing a documentary about this international dating scam here in the German TV last year.
Same as the post but generating from Russia, the issue went so fare has Putin himself got the scammers in jail and warned any Russian citizen for harsh punishment if other complaints where verified and brought to the Russian government. It doesn’t seems to have stop this kind of dating scam as now the perpetrator are much more cautious.
I think the Spiegel did a large article about it.
I wander if it is reasonable to blame the people that fall for this scam as the people that make the scam. After all we all know that some people have a very bad sense of judgment and are easily gullible then other, like children that learn how to confront the world. Do we blame or criticize children when they fall for a scam? No we don’t, we blame the adult or the person aware of the perpetration of the scam…I think it is also valid for this people.
Some people have so much trust on other because they don’t see evil, how can we blame this trust.
If the world was only inhabited by this trusting people then we will not have maybe all this scam.

Kacou.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
The ironic thing about these dating scams is that people tend to shut off the brain before thinking about what they are doing.

Instead of fully invesigating who they are talking to, they instantly get sucked into the pitch by "oh my dad died and my mom is in the hospital and i am stuck at the hotel and my passport is being held by the manager and i have no money please help me and i will make love to you all day and night long" crap.

Its so easy to spot these scammers. Alot of them try to suck people in over at myspace with "i wanna be your friend" invites.

Lesson from the wise....dont give in to instant love solution..that has never exsisted.

For those that do fall into the trap...well...lesson learned the hard way.

Cheers!!!

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by PammyK

It is these people's own fault to get scammed. Of course the scammers are ebil people, but those who got scammed are stupid. Stop taking responsibility away of them by blaming internet, media and government. It is not their responsibility to inform about obvious.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightDStroyer

Good for you.... I like to hear happen endings.

Half of me feels very sorry for these people and the other half seems like they needed to learn a lesson. RFBurns said it very eloquently.

I think some people are just desperate enough to believe anything. Why in the world would you give someone 20K you met online???

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Do people scam each other when they meet in pubs? Lace drinks? Whenever people meet, there are things they don't know whatever the medium. Sometimes trust is repaid a plenty, sometimes it is burn't, that's life. I think it should be an issue to raise peoples' awareness aboutwherever it occurs. We have had campaigns about keeping your drinks safe.......

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
there is a difference between being stupid and being naive. I would change the title to naive because stupidity is a bit of a broad subject. I know it is frustrating to see this still going on but there will always be people who fall for it. Not because of stupidity, but because they actually have too much faith and trust in people.

its a sad shame

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Briles

Actually, Stupid is correct IMO.
I am usually a very trusting person, but I would still not hand over 20K to somebody I have never met and only had an online relationship for 4 weeks.
That is a lot on money by anyones standard. MidnightDStroyer had it right by making the necessary purchase as opposed to simply handing over the cash. (Congratulations BTW MidnightDStroyer) Online relationships are fine as long as commonsense is used. I know many people that have met like this have have had thier happy ever afters.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Some people are stupid enough to give Bird Brained a new meaning

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
As with MidnightDestroyer, I know two couples -- good friends -- who met online. As he did, they were cautious and took it easy and things developed naturally.

I think your opening statement, OP, says it all..... people who are "lonely and vulnerable"....... Stupid? Maybe, but having been lonely and vulnerable way in the past, might I have made a similar desperation play had I had the money? I'd like to think not, but do I really know?

I think people who perpetuate such scams on lonely people should be prosecuted to the full and complete extent of the law, including jail and reparations for the money lost. Carrion-eaters who prey on lonely people are not the very bottom of the bucket, but they are close.

Hopefully just your bringing this kind of thing to light might make some take a second look at their actions, and temper their longing for companionship with a healthy dose of reality. I can say that now. I am one of the lucky ones. We celebrate our 20th anniversary in a little more than a month.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
Hopefully just your bringing this kind of thing to light might make some take a second look at their actions, and temper their longing for companionship with a healthy dose of reality.

Which is why I posted...If for some rediculous reason no one is aware of this going on, the more outlets there are the better...Belive it or not I do have 'some' sympathy, but in general they do get what they deserve. As long as they learn from it

I can say that now. I am one of the lucky ones. We celebrate our 20th anniversary in a little more than a month.

Congratulations!!! I am half way there next month.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

And then there are the ones that won't have a chance to learn anything from their stupidity:

www.darwinawards.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

Clearly you don't know what it's like to be vulnerable, which is a good thing, as it sucks. Mental illness is no laughing matter.

Calling them stupid is like calling a cancer sufferer lazy.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join