It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sarah Palin's RNC Speech

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
palin will use up the worlds supply of botox within a year if she keeps stuffing as much in her face as she did last night.

my god she could hardly crack a smile, i thought sly stallones botox was bad in Rambo 4. Palin just took it to another level.

Wow, now those are some good reasons not to like someone.

And besides, we all know that John Kerry has cornered the world supply of botox!

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

haha so true about kerry. The american culture is alot to do with looks/appearance i dont hold it against her. Like i said i have friends that do it.

someone else said

Palin IS change.

how much influence will she really have and in what areas? She's more right wing than bush , creationism in science class? thats not the sort of change you want surely?

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I couldn't care less if Sarah Palin uses Botox.

I couldn't care less about her daughter's pregnancy.

What does bug me is that she went up and delivered a speech straight out of the Rush Limbaugh playbook. Well the second half actually, the first half, where she was introducing herself and praising John McCain, was fine... the second half was more shallow and blatantly deceptive attack politics.

However, as I said earlier, she has exposed herself as a member of the far right of the Republican Party, not even the moderate wing McCain represented until recently.

This is not going to play well among the independents and undecideds McCain needs to appeal to in order to win. It has earned her the undying love of hardcore GOP partisans - but they weren't going to be voting for Obama anyway, under any circumstances.

I'm glad her speech got good TV ratings - a lot of people got to see the real GOP in action. Contrary to the belief of the far right, I think she's going to cost them more votes than she'll get them.

As an aside, the same people who criticize the supposed cult of personality around Obama are reacting to Palin with precisely the kind of cultish zeal they claim to hate so much - it's actually pretty funny

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Well I totally loved her speech, it seems to me that conservatives love her and liberals hate her so I guess I am a conservative. I think Obama might want to ditch his VP and get someone else and we might witness him scrambling to do this as he has a history of changing his mind. I was a disgruntled Republican who was thinking about staying home in November but not now. I want this woman in Washington.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

So I guess the democrats are the only ones that are allowed to attack?

I guess the Plain decision really did make Obama's convention speech forgotten because all he did for the first part of the speech was to attack McCain.

Obama has been bashing from day one. The obama media has been bashing from day one.

Now the Obama people are bashing people for bashing.

The act for attacking someone for being divisive, is in fact an attack an it is divisive.

I say it's time for Obama to taste a bit of his own medicine.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Obama attacks on policy - you don't see him demeaning McCain's military record, for instance. You don't see him maligning his patriotism - you see him attacking dumb policies.

The GOP on the other hand, ignores actual issues as much as possible, or distorts them shamelessly - for example tax policy: "Obama's going to raise your taxes!!!" Well yeah - if you're one of the richest 3%...

What they don't mention is that Obama's tax plan only raises taxes on the top 2% or 3% of earners (basically people making over $200k/yr), and everyone else pays less. In fact, most people in the middle class & working class (everybody up to about $111k) would be paying less taxes under Obama's plan than under McCain's.

From here.

And before you start bleating about the "liberal media", feel free to run the numbers yourself. That's the great thing about math - numbers add up the same way regardless of who is doing the adding

But those kinds of policy arguments are minimal - mostly the Republicans go after cultural "wedge issues" (portraying their opponents as "unpatriotic" and "elitists", etc), and ignores policy or factual arguments as much as possible. It's all about "narratives" and "positioning" and marketing BS designed to appeal to emotional needs - "facts" are something only "snobby elitists" care about, apparently

I think the GOP is in for a wake up call - after eight years of this nonsense, they're going to find Americans are not as dumb, or as easily manipulated, as they'd like to think. You can't fool all the people, all the time - to quote a great Republican President.

A party that basically fights for the prosperity of only the top few percent of the American people is treading on very shaky ground trying to portray themselves as "populists" in touch with the "common man"

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Scary.

They're not even trying to be moderate. For all of their lip service to "the working class," and "real Americans," this election's crop of rabid conservatives is even more vehemently hard-right than Bush and Cheney were in 2000. We saw what happened to our civil rights when we gave their ilk the reins. We are talking about a woman who believes that Creationism should be taught in schools and that Roe v. Wade should be overturned.

Don't be fooled by her gender, her snidely sophomoric and ignorant witticisms, or her "small town" facade; she represents Day 1 of the restrictive, fascist, anti-science, Dominionist, hegemonic police state, from which the real America could never recover.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1
Well, what do y'all think so far?

She's gotten some digs in on Obama, some on the press....and those folks in that crowd seem to love her.

She's funny, engaging, seemingly witty....but not too many specifics as of yet.

She's also a killer of wildlife. Proof read on........

She also is a flip flopper....remember the bridge to nowhere, she was all for it but then when the heat turned on she went against it.

About the wildlife slaughter, read these articles.......

www.huffingtonpost.com...

animalrights.about.com...

I myself wrote (email) to the Humane Society with these same web sites and they wrote me back the next day with this........

Quote,
"Dear Mr. Miller,

We are well aware of Gov. Palin's appalling record on wildlife issues. Our political wing, the Humane Society Legislative Fund, recently published a blog item on this subject. Please click on the link below:

the link they sent me.......
hslf.typepad.com...

Enquote

If this woman gets into the White House, who knows how much damage her power will do the National wildlife that might get in the way of special interests.
So far this out rage has been kept quiet, but hopefully not for long.
Thanks

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

Yay I am gonna get a bigger tax cut with Obama woohoo

One problem is that it won't matter with all the tax increases that will be applied to oil companies and other businesses.

Yea those evil oil companies are gonna get a tax increase. Guess what, they will just pass it along to us. The last time a president tried to tax windfall profits on oil companies, was during the Jimmy Carer era, and I just can't wait to get back to the Carter days.

I hope the Obama tax cut will pay for my gas.....

The biggest problem is that I don't believe Obama. He promises the world then he says he will cut taxes. Yea right, the American people will pay the taxes through higher prices, higher fees, and slower economic growth. The poorer people will pay the most as they see corporations pass their higher taxes along to the people by raising the price of goods.

If Obama really wanted to reform the government tax system, he would propose to get rid of the IRS altogether. That would get my vote.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
And that's why it's not generally worth debating true believers, anyhow.

You'll say "Obama's going to raise your taxes!"

Then I'll point out that both candidates have published very specific tax plans, and that with Obama's, most people will pay less in taxes.

So then it switches to "well Obama's a big fat liar and I refuse to listen to anything he says anyway"

What's the point of even discussing it if people are just going to stick their fingers in their ears and go "lalalalalala...."?

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

No, every product made by a business and distributed by businesses will be taxed highly under Obama. This results in INCREASED cost of goods, in effect a tax passed on to everybody who needs to eat and buy toilet paper.

People need to use their heads.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Palin beat Biden in the Neilson ratings with 37 million viewers. Thanks to all the attention by the angry left, more people got a chance to like Palin than Biden.

elections.foxnews.com...

Gov. Sarah Palin’s speech Wednesday night at the Republican National Convention drew 37 million viewers, which is more than those who watched Democratic vice president Joe Biden or potential first lady Michelle Obama or even Hillary Clinton during the Democratic National Convention in Denver.
According to Nielsen ratings, Palin’s number was just 1.1 million viewers shy of Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

Obama's tax policies might seem "for the people" but the heavy progressive income tax route is really a communist belief. This will lead to a command economy. We all know how wonderful those are.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
No, another lie, or at least a very creative distortion.

If progressive income tax rates are "communist", every President and most Representatives and Senators for almost the past 100 years - Republican and Democrat alike - has been a "communist"

Don't think so.

You know who put the modern income tax in place?

That flaming Communist, Republican William Howard Taft.

You know who ended the 94% top tax rate that had been in place since WW2, in 1964?!

Democrat John F. Kennedy

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
..."Obama's going to raise your taxes!!!" Well yeah - if you're one of the richest 3%...

What they don't mention is that Obama's tax plan only raises taxes on the top 2% or 3% of earners (basically people making over $200k/yr), and everyone else pays less.

So when the taxes of nearly every small business in America actually increase, you think the expense won't be passed on to everyone else why???

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
So when the taxes of nearly every small business in America actually increase

Do you have a source to back this claim up, or did you just pull it out of thin air?

On Obama's site, he has this document (PDF - I hate them
) : Small Business Plan

Seems to be all about tax cuts & tax breaks for employer's health insurance costs - not much about cranking up tax rates

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

A Preliminary Analysis of the 2008 Presidential Candidates' Tax Plans (Full Report .pdf)

What the Obama and McCain Plans Would Mean for Real Taxpayers

Obama's Empty Social Security Fix

Who Really Pays the Corporate Income Tax?

Individuals bear the burden of corporate taxes in one of three ways: as owners of capital who get a lower return on their investment, as workers who receive lower wages, or as consumers who pay higher prices.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
My personal take is that I ain't buying her canned garbage. Plus I think she is making a mistake running her mouth against obama/biden. I guess that's supposed to be her job but I predict in the long term it won't work out so well for her career.

She sure seems confident about being a VP and she can talk trash pretty well but I don't think she has the experience or qualities in her to make her a good VP. she seems sneaky and manipulating. I can spot a phony and someone who is BSing her way to a promotion when I see it. She's the type that falls upward.

So my take on her speech was this, considering all the trash talk:

Just because you have managed to enter the lions cage and after a few minutes haven't been attacked yet doesn't mean you should be cocky, arrogant and strategically stupid enough to go ahead and stick you head in the lions mouth. Which is what she did last night at the convention. She's going to get bit.

I think biden (if he doesn't hold back ) will basically bitch slap her back to her lame life in alaska during the debates. I don't think she is going to be that mentally quick on her feet when things aren't pre-stacked in her favor. I think she will be exposed.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
So far, I see nothing at all wrong with her. I been checking up on her a bit, but I honestly love the comments from Alaskans who have lived under her governorship. That is where the truth lies.

She is a good public speaker, very easy on the eyes, not too difficult to listen to, as she is very articulate.

In contrast to those who say she doesnt have the time in to qualify, I say that might just work in this nations favor. She hasnt been in those trenches getting bushwacked and brainwashed by the "good ole boys" that have been in there since Ceasar was in charge. I think a truly fresh outlook is what the nation needs.
Sadly, I am not overly fond of McCain, but if his "pit bull with lipstick" wont get shelved of shoved off on foreign aid missions around the globe, then it might just be worth it to vote them in.

I still remain sckeptical on both of the top candidates and will continue to wait and watch right up until the day the vote goes down.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I will say this about her,she's a good scapegoat for the GOP base,once they loose they will blame her for it,so Mr."POW" does not have to deal with it.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join