It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sarah Palin's RNC Speech

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Absolutely. She's brilliant, isn't she?

And to think, Obama and his team have been so unashamedly triumphalist in recent weeks.

How silly and embarrassing is that going to seem looking back?

McCain + Sarah Palin = Masterstroke

The Republicans will win it.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I really enjoyed her speech. I hear some say that "the bar was set low". I highly disagree with that. If she had failed in execution tonight Obama might as well have been inaugurated tommorrow. I was very interested in how she would handle the pressure from the scrutiny of the past week. She performed admirably. John McCain has not only chosen a formidable lady as a running mate in a gutsy choice. He has also elevated a figure into the higher rungs of the party who if she choses, will be a force to be reckoned with for a long time in that party. I'm not saying that I still don't have some concerns about her suitabillity for the job of President, but I'm very impressed with her so far.

I haven't voted a Dem for Pres since '96, and don't feel the need to this year.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Wow Gov. Palin REALLY has the looks!!

First lets start with this:

There was a flutter of attention when McCain campaign manager Rick Davis told a group of Post reporters and editors yesterday that his team was having to rework the vice presidential acceptance speech because the original draft, prepared before Gov. Sarah Palin was chosen, was too "masculine." While we all wondered to ourselves what might make a speech masculine or feminine, no one batted an eye at the underlying revelation: that the campaign was writing the nominee's speech before knowing who the nominee would be.

voices.washingtonpost.com...

Setting: I think the GOP could have done themselves a favor by having someone other than Rudy Giuliani speaking before Gov. Palin SERIOUSLY!!, (Former Gov. Huckabee would have been GREAT)His speech was all over the place full of the stupid sarcasm
that reminds me of President Bush, and spewing out the same old political garbage... As I was watching that I ask myself: Does the McCain staff realize that there is going to be a lot of undecided, independent, moderate voters that are going to be tuning in to watch this? Is that the first thing you want them to see?

The speech: It was very well delivered no doubt about that. Now, she made a couple of points about herself and the Obama campaign that opens the door for more fact finding and so far she has not fair well in that area.

Another thing about the speech is that it was written by former President Bush aide ans speechwriter Matthew Scully , so it just serves to the Obama campaign and their message that this McCain/Palin ticket is just more of the same.

Context: Smart but full of sarcasm and snideness (I guess is on republicans DNA), if you want to criticize someone make your point and move on.

Also when she said this:

How are they going to be any better off if taxes go up? Or maybe you're trying to keep your job at a plant in Michigan or Ohio ... or create jobs with clean coal from Pennsylvania or West Virginia ... or keep a small farm in the family right here in Minnesota.

www.cnn.com...

I couldn't stop myself from laughing because if thats not political pandering I dont know what it is, what a coincidence that she mention Michigan,Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia, basically the states they need to win in order to get into the White House. Of course you can see the hand of Matthew Scully at work there.

Overall: If the GOP goal in this introduction of Gov. Palin was to rally the base, I think they accomplish that but if they goal was to appeal to a broad base like independents, undecided and so, they really miss a big chance here because I can bet that millions of Americans were watching tonight.

[edit on 3-9-2008 by Bunch]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jefwane

I agree. She had the pressure of the world on her and against her. If she had not done good, it would have been game, set, and match. John McCain would have gone down in history as choosing the worst VP ever.

I bet you Hillary is grinning in the mirror right now...

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
The folks in Alaska call her the "Barracuda" because when someone pisses her off she goes after them and doesn't back down until the issue is resolved to her satisfaction. I like it!

Oh, I thought it was because she lunges and bites people wearing shiny jewelry....

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch

I couldn't stop myself from laughing because if thats not political pandering I dont know what it is, what a coincidence that she mention Michigan,Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia, basically the states they need to win in order to get into the White House. Of course you can see the hand of Matthew Scully at work here.

Overall: If the GOP goal in this introduction of Gov. Palin was to rally the base, I think they accomplish that but if they goal was to appeal to a broad base like independents, undecided and so, they really miss a big chance here because I can bet that millions of Americans were watching tonight.

Oh, and you were SO close with the right answer.

Michigan. Ohio. Pennsylvania. Bush only won Ohio in 2004 and won the election.

Kerry won PA and MI by only 3% in 2004.

McCain only has to pick up a handful of white, middle-class voters in these states and Obama is done. Palin will pick up at least 10% in these states.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by chips
She's brilliant, isn't she?

She's normal and that will be the undoing of Obama's campaign.

Working America will find her very compelling.

Palin will excel at making Obama/Biden look like contrived, out-of-touch elitist.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Its nice to see a "Normal" person involved for once, Hot just another Ivy league elitist non practicing lawyer or washington dinosaur.

Hopefully she will be able to avoid the corrupt washington machine and stay true to herself.

I like her husband, looks like a guy you could have a beer with while you fix your pickup truck.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Great speech!

The democrats are the big jocks/bully this time around, picking on the little skinny guy on the playground. They did not expect to get hit back, much less this hard.

The skinny/nerdy guy (aka Palin/McCain) just whooped the crap outta the bigger stronger bully.

[edit on 9/3/2008 by AndrewTB]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
She is what real Americans are all about. None of the greed and fantasy, just pure heart and passion. Expect more of this from her, maybe we aren't all lost just yet.

She was BRILLIANT, simply BRILLIANT...

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Sorry but I dont share your excitment...all she prove tonight is that she know how to read words fed to her on a teleprompter, maintain her composure at a high stage, be snide and sarcastic.

We also got a glance and her dreams of pipelines all over the country, even when gas prices are going down but what can you expect, talking about a lady that prays to God for pipelines.

Another thing when she said this

Well, I'm not a member of the permanent political establishment. And I've learned quickly these last few days that, if you're not a member in good standing of the Washington elite, then some in the media consider a candidate unqualified for that reason alone.

But -- now, here's a little newsflash. Here's a little newsflash for those reporters and commentators: I'm not going to Washington to seek their good opinion. I'm going to Washington to serve the people of this great country.

www.cnn.com...

Isn't the same whining that she criticize Hillary Clinton for here

Ridiculous in my opinion!

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

She's normal and that will be the undoing of Obama's campaign.

Working America will find her very compelling.

Palin will excel at making Obama/Biden look like contrived, out-of-touch elitist.

Loam, you just summarized in three lines what a lot of "experts" and political consultants get paid big bucks to analyze.

She's normal.
She'll appeal to millions of working people.
By contrast, Obama and Biden look like elitist snobs.

Barring an unforeseen calamity, Obama and Biden are in serious trouble.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Patriot207

Hot just another Ivy league elitist non practicing lawyer or washington dinosaur.

Awwww, was that a freudian slip?
Hot!

Yes, I agree with you. It is VERY nice to have a REAL Washington outsider who lives a relatively normal life with a normal family with normal issues

[edit on 9/3/2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Loam, you just summarized in three lines what a lot of "experts" and political consultants get paid big bucks to analyze.

She's normal.
She'll appeal to millions of working people.
By contrast, Obama and Biden look like elitist snobs.

Barring an unforeseen calamity, Obama and Biden are in serious trouble.

And if there wasn't a calamity, it would be necessary to create one.

There's no telling what Obama will try to pull by proxy. He seems willing to do anything it takes to win .. as he gets more desparate so will be his tactics.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

That is okay that you don't share it

However, I lived in Alaska and saw her speak many many many times. So, what I saw tonight is WHO AND WHAT SHE IS

She may have read a scripted speech on a teleprompter....but the way she delivered it is how she is off teleprompter. Yes, its just my word....but I have seen her for the past few years

The way she deliverd her speach tonight, is the way she will deliver all her debates and interviews.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

Speaking of a calamity, there apparently was a security incident in the crowd during her speech:

0:45 p.m. A pair of Code Pink activists just got to the very edge of the stage and were a moment away from apparently running on stage, right by the Kentucky slot on the floor next to a host of McCain's most senior staffers.

Article

Good grief. How in the hell does this happen at an event like this?

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
As a former resident of Alaska, who voted for her there and saw her speak often.....

She was absolutely fabulous!
and actually [finally] got me exicted about this election

She will debate Biden and put his booty in its place. I think she could totally hold her own against Obama too.

[edit on 9/3/2008 by greeneyedleo]

Starred.

And absolutely correct IMO.

Also IMO, the dems/libs on this thread show all at once how scared they are of Palin and how pathetic they are when all they can think of to attack is the sound of her voice. Again truly pathetic, and hardly worth the electrons used to post their words.

So many lines I liked - like the one about Obama writing 2 memoirs but no legislation. And even better, the one about some politicians use change to try and further their careers (Obama), while others use their careers to bring about change (McCain). A zinger that hurt the dems about once every 10 seconds. I'll bet Obiden were saying "ouch" a lot tonight.

[edit on 9/4/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
MSNBC reported that there was some type of teleprompter malfunction during the speech, she was able to work through it though. I didn't even notice.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I wasn't overly impressed, as she seemed quite snotty almost mugging for the camera.
Like I've said before though, I'm anxious to see where she is on the issues that I am actually concerned about.
But, as first impressions go, I as an undecided voter am thus far unimpressed.

It was, however, just an acceptance speech so I'm still withholding judgment.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83

I've got another freebie:

Obama's people have it all wrong when they think it's a good idea to attack Palin on the experience front.

The electorate EXPECTS change this election cycle. It's why McCain and Obama are on their respective tickets.

So in this cycle, when you attack someone for not having the experience to be President, you immediately abandon your own 'outsider' status. Rather ironic, huh, coming from the Change Candidate?

Bad move in this environment.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join