It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Registration Date

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I was wondering why the member registration date info in the avatar is in a very cryptic format?

Why doesn't it just display it coherently with a standard format? Such as 7/20/1982, for example...

I for one would much perfer the latter, as my brain strongly disagrees with the current format.

[edit on 093030p://3u51 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Its your own fault for joining on the Ninth day of the Eighteenth month.

Actually, its a board setting I believe, and the European date layout is Chic, just ask Simon.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
It is standard in most (maybe all but US) of the world to put the day before the month.

You can change your own to go the other way in your MemCenter.

EDIT: OOooh, I had assumed it would just change my own. Actually, it changes everyone's!

[edit on 9/3/08 by americandingbat]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
You can change all those settings in the member center.

I use mm/dd/yyyy personally because that's what I've grown up with.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I know many countries (including Australia) use the format dd/mm/yyyy

Personally I don't know how you guys can read it mm/dd/yyyy it hurts my brain thinking about it

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
It´s perfectly logical to read a date from the smallest increment (ie day) to the largest (ie year). I have always wondered why the US insists on using their weird date format.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
NOW I learn that we can adjust this setting to display whatever we're most comfortable with and accustomed to... now, after I've been here long enough to get used to it and find that when I'm reading something somewhere else that uses the mm/dd/yyyy format I stumble for a moment because I've become used to d/mm/yyyy.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Psychopump
It´s perfectly logical to read a date from the smallest increment (ie day) to the largest (ie year). I have always wondered why the US insists on using their weird date format.

It also kind of makes sense to do it in Year/Month/Day order as well, with the Most Significant Digit first like in numbers, eg 1,024. But I can't see how anyone thought it was logical to use Month/Day/year.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
It is a global website, after all - and what is set at default is a global norm. Certainly the professional websites I have a part in that have a global reach would always use what the rest of the world uses...

LW

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
i don't think it has anything to do with increments and all to do with the way you say it, some people say the 5th of september so 5/9/2008 looks right, some people say september 5th so 9/5/2008 looks right. semantics.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

...very cryptic format?...

Why doesn't it just display it coherently with a standard format?

I don't wish to ruffle any feathers here but the site's motto is 'Deny Ignorance' and yet clearly the OP is ignorant of the fact that there is a world outside the window, and not everything in the world revolves around America and its standardisations.

Like I said, not trying to ruffle feathers
Just a point is all

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
This is my question. Why do some edited posts (like the ones in the OP) end with this:

[edit on 093030p://3u51 by Lucid Lunacy]

While others end in things like this:

[edit on 9/6/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

I don't wish to ruffle any feathers here but the site's motto is 'Deny Ignorance'

My feathers are fine, thanks.

and yet clearly the OP is ignorant of the fact that there is a world outside the window

I see no evidence for this.

and not everything in the world revolves around America and its standardisations.

Revolves around America? I don't think another world revolves around America no.. a Moon and a Star sure..

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Thanks to everyone that posted
I figured there was a method to the madness I just didn't figure it was a world standard
Admittedly, I still don't quite understand my current format... I am off to the memcenter to 'americanize' my time!

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Hmm, interesting catch. I guess that's probably also connected to the member settings?

Have you adjusted yours? How does your time format display in your avatar versus your 'edited'?

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

I have it set to month/day/year so it looks like this:

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Psychopump

because they are weird and want to
make them selves more unique
so they make up some stuff and use it as a alternative to things that have been used for ages

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

I can actually answer this.

When one have gone over the limit and look
at the calendar to make sure the morning isn't a work
day we see the month first. We stumble down the
calendar and barely find the day. The year I'll
figure out tomorrow!

[edit on 24/11/08 by toochaos4u]

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Psychopump

And we like the English Standard System too. Get offa our backs!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Standard for uhmericuh is not standard for the rest of the world.
dd/mm/yy seems correct to me

new topics

top topics

join