It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Drill Baby Drill" Noun+Verb=GOP EnergyPolicy(let's all chant)

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Rook1545

I hate to disagree... no I don't because the fact is, is that we buy a lot of oil from Terroist Saudi (Madrassa school Bin Laden) Arabia. Millions of it from Venesuala (Dictator), Mexico (corrupt drug smuggler and human traffic exporter). We need to get off the foreign oil and get it from our own land and sea areas. Canada has long been our friend to the north and is as one of us.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

Originally posted by Valhall
The energy policy has to include drilling, advanced technologies to improve fossil fuel burning (i.e. decreased emissions), alternative energy promotion, and CONSERVATION. While McCain did a much better job of promoting the alternative energy sources in his speech last night than Palin did in hers, I still didn't hear a single word on the most important point CONSERVATION.

While we can't NOT drill...we also need an administration that promotes a new "American way".

Absolutely correct!
Conservation is key, for all our natural resources. I think Val is the first to mention this in this thread.

I cannot believe that our average car is not getting 40 mpg mileage by now. Even Toyota and Honda seem to have plateaued in the low to mid 30's.

We need to do all the things such as carpooling, combining trips, etc. to conserve.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

Originally posted by RFBurns
To add to my opinion on the compromise.

Ok so the oil companies will not get their tax breaks of 80 some odd million. They feel that they would be punished by the compromise.

Well....boy thats a deep subject!! How much punishment are we getting out of this energy crisis when these oil companies report profits that reach well over 40+ BILLION???

Does anyone honestly think that with such profit margins that them not getting an 80 some million tax break is a punishment????

Cmon...80 million is pocket change compared to 40+BILLION profit!!!

Hi RF

Just a correction - it's $84 billion, not million. A factor of 1,000. I don't know any industry that can absorb that kind of hit. The little guy will end up paying for it.

And while the absolute numbers of their profit may be large, they are totally in line with the average percentage of profit. It works out to about 7.6%, as opposed to the 9.2% in other industries such as autos.

fpc.state.gov...

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
reply to post by Rook1545

I hate to disagree... no I don't because the fact is, is that we buy a lot of oil from Terroist Saudi (Madrassa school Bin Laden) Arabia. Millions of it from Venesuala (Dictator), Mexico (corrupt drug smuggler and human traffic exporter). We need to get off the foreign oil and get it from our own land and sea areas. Canada has long been our friend to the north and is as one of us.

I agreed that Saudi Arabia is a terrorist nation. Venezuela is not a dictatorship anymore than the US is, possibly less so. They have elections there and the people vote for Chavez, he does not need to steal them. Just because it does not jive with American policy does not make it wrong.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by feydrautha

You are very naive if you think that with drilling with are going to resolve the problem of energy independence that this country face and on top of that get us out of this sluggish economy. Certainly drilling would create jobs in the oil sector but the extent if that job growth is going to be limited to skills and geography.

I get your point that you want to drill but what else should we do besides drilling? We are not going to achieve energy independence solely on drilling. What about biofuels, wind, solar, clean coal, throughout the thread you have choosen to ignore those whenever they are mention. Almost half that the energy we consume is coal. If we increase clean coal production, along with biofuels for transportation, wind for urban needs and nuclear for urban/industrial, we get energy independence without one single well been drill.

By using renewable we are talking about creating new industries, the building blocks of which are already in place, renewable projects are going to create direct and indirect jobs across the entire job spectrum in almost EVERY STATE on the nation, thats what you have to look for if what you want is jobs and consistent economic growth for decades to come while achieving TRUE AND REAL ENERGY INDEPENDENCE.

[edit on 5-9-2008 by Bunch]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Everyone is looking at this like wind, solar, and Nat gas are the only way to stop our dependency on foreign oil. The solution is really simple but most people have been brain washed and they won't even acknowledge the truth. If we started growing Hemp we could be on our way to freedom in one year. I'm not talking about the kind that gets you high but the industrial kind, the kind that saved this country many times over prior to the Duponts eliminating the competing material. Since we don't don't eat hemp you are not competing for a food source like ethanol. There are people that have driven cars using hemp seed oil just to prove the use but what do we do, we say no because it is hard to tell the non THC hemp from the kind that is used to help the sick lead a decent life prior to dying. If you haven't read the book "The Emperor Wears No clothes" I would highly recommend it so that the history of Hemp is clear in your mind.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch
You are very naive if you think that with drilling with are going to resolve the problem of energy independence that this country face and on top of that get us out of this sluggish economy. Certainly drilling would create jobs in the oil sector but the extent if that job growth is going to be limited to skills and geography.

your lack of basic comprehension is taken into account, so you get a pass.

you obviously did not see how i never declared that drilling alone is the only answer, thats your bias showing (oopsie!) you might have missed where i made very clear that the only way for all electric cars to become practical is to have access to cheap, plentiful electricity.

which means more nuclear power plants, in combination with wind, wave and hydrogen tech is the way to go. combined, will reduce our dependence and vulnerability immensely, as anyone can recognise as being very obvious. the up side is the creation of many, many good paying jobs.

coal is dirty, expensive and very dangerous to mine, will you be donning a hardhat soon? see you in the mines...

biofuels make food very expensive and to produce is just as dirty as any fossil fuels, production pollutes quite a bit.

wind turbines are still very expensive and not very efficient, i work in the industry that innovates that technology, and it will be margianally profitable at best, even that has a looong way to go.

none of that will help empty gas tanks right now, when gas will soon be over $5 a gallon, and show few signs of dropping... we think $3.75 is a bargain now, which is a joke, but compared what next years price will be, these will seem like the good old days.

i understand that you cannot be for drilling at all, since the party line will not allow it, and thats also taken into account. noted.

btw, coal is not renewable...

anything but drilling, is it? interesting. well, if obama says so, eh?

[edit on 5-9-2008 by feydrautha]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
I would like to see evidence of it costing someone 300 a month to keep a typical house warm with natural gas!!

i'll email you a copy of my utility bill, tell me where to send it, i'm guessing you live in a warmer climate?

I live in Wy, gets mighty cold up here and I use natural gas to keep my thin walled trailer warm, costs me only 60 bucks a month.

the cubic feet of air in a trailer compared to a typical single family home is a mere fraction. what are you paying a cubic foot, and how many do you use a month?

Natural gas is not more dangerous to aquire, neither is coal. New technologies to mine it and refine it as well as use it make it a logical choice to move this nation to energy independance.

no one said ng was dangerous to acquire, but coal? have you paid attention to the news? not dangerous to mine? ask all the coal miner's widows and their children how dangerous it is

Yes creating more jobs for the USA is one good point in drilling more holes.

But your not looking at the reality of what it takes nor the costs to even just drill that hole and hopefully you tap into a oil supply.

It costs up to 4 million dollars to drill just 1 hole to find oil...

Right now there is abundant natural gas wells just sitting with tons of energy just waiting to be used...

Then why do you want to drill more holes in the ground that wont get you those reliefs in prices for another 15 years???

Makes absolutely no sense.

If the nation moves to use natural gas, the price will be even cheaper...

Coal is cheap, safe ...

BTW, natural gas burns clean....

Cheers!!!

again ng, very expensive and a near monopoly in most regions.

coal dangerous and dirty, expensive to clean.

simply discussing the drilling seriously in the world news affected the markets, that was an immediate benefit.

when rigs and platforms are constructed, along with more refineries, and nuke plants start coming online, i dont think it will surprise anyone (excluding a few obama-droids, apparently) that the price of a barrel will fall dramatically

and as long as we're independant, it will stay that way, long enough for us to go completely electric.

about 25 years should do it, at least.

"If the nation moves to use natural gas,"

so your saying increased demand will actually LOWER prices?

ha ha! well, that explains plenty! yeah, that makes sense!

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
here is the thing that gets me.

Republicans, pay attention here.

we can start drilling today, or we can start today researching clean renewable energy tech more seriously.

either one of these will take ten to twenty years to significantly dent our energy problems.

but in a hundred, or a hundred and fifty years, oil will run out. it will be gone; that is to say, there will not be any left.

let me repeat that one more time for the right-wingers: the oil will not be there any more.

the wind and the sun, however, i am confident, will remain.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by The Parallelogram

Why don't we drill today, encourage fuel economy in our vehicles( I drive a Honda so I am not hypocritical on this) cut idiotic spending in other areas, and invest in clean-renewable energy technology at the same time.

We need proven energy now to survive.

We need that oil in order to last (and we need the oil to last) until the point where solar, wind, fusion power will take over.

By drilling, I am not just for offshore but also for refining shale oil and using our coal resources to keep our economy going at the present time. (we have 25% of the world's coal so there really shouldn't be any question about U.S. energy reserves for the time being) So long as we use our resources wisely, the U.S. can achieve a point where energy is clean and renewable without breaking the bank on false promises that will sure to occur along the way.

Besides what good does that oil do when it is underground? Increase the OPEC manufactured oil demand?

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   

so, it has to be a choice between the two? thats pretty absolute...

mccain promised both, you cant say the same for obama...

and again, the tired, played out mantra of "no results for x years" is patently invalid

the market responded to serious discussion about drilling, is it beyond imagination how it will respond to actual infrastructure creation?

not at all.

i cant wait for the next one to parrot the obama mantra "no results for x years (10, 20, whatever...) so why even try?"

watch for it, kids!

its all they can say, because it is the corner obama painted himself into...

very inflexible indeed.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by feydrautha
again ng, very expensive and a near monopoly in most regions.

coal dangerous and dirty, expensive to clean.

It is more expensive, dirty and dangerous to go to war to secure energy resources around the world.

Oil ain't gonna cut it alone

[edit on 5-9-2008 by wutone]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by feydrautha

Yes I'm watching for those darn scientists, wait I mean Democrats.

With their stupid stupid inflexible facts and figures.

Nazi-Commies the whole lot.

I hate them so MUCH!

[edit on 9/5/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Originally posted by TheAgentNineteen
If you have any imaginative ideas that somehow this proposal will make any difference without an executive sign-off, then you are sorely mistaken.

I'm sorry, I honestly didn't mean to sidetrack my own thread. In fact I didn't really, the humor of the moment overtook me and brought us back to the original topic.

And you are correct in what you are saying, I indeed do not hold such "imaginative" ideas.

In fact, if you look over the last few pages, we were banging heads to no avail on this topic. I honestly have no further information or opinion to offer without repeating myself and no one wants that.

Edit to add: Also I would like to apologize for my extravagant and excessive use of smileys. I should know better than that. Terrible job, really.

[edit on 9/5/2008 by schrodingers dog]

Well to be honest, there are issues deeply entrenched within our society upon which many will never completely agree. We all know that there are many solutions for many problems, but the quickest, most logical, and most efficient route towards employing such solutions is what we debate. People are simply tired of the Prices at the Pumps, and the fact that we keep doling out tons of money to Nations that despise the U.S. We do need alternative energy forms, but the technology to implement them as a Vast Nationwide System is not fully there yet. In the meantime, the vast increase in domestic drilling can begin with existing knowledge and technology, practically the minute it is approved. Have you ever looked into T. Boone Pickens, the Oilman? He has been pushing for this most logical of processes for quite some time now. The Expanded Domestic Drilling is the the short to mid-term solution, while the Alternative Forms of Energy are the long-term solution. In order to exist long enough to see the long-term solutions, we obviously need the short and mid-term ones.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by wutone
It is more expensive, dirty and dangerous to go to war to secure energy resources around the world.

Oil ain't gonna cut it alone

true, if that were the case for any war we've embarked upon...

iraq for example wasnt solely based on oil, counter to the chants

though oil would make terrorists more dangerous than they are now, and good on us for securing it

no one has ever suggested that oil is the only answer, have they?

well, no one but the anti-drill types on the board here... putting words into pro-drill mouths; the only way they can support their position

no one falls for it, do they?

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I find it hilarious that you think i'm the one 'parroting' a 'mantra'; please, read the first post in this thread, and mull that one over for a while.

My opinion on this has nothing to do with Obama. I am not going to vote for Obama. You know nothing of my politics, and I will thank you to leave them out of this question, which from my perspective concerns the future of all Earth and not only the hollow ideologues you so concern yourself with.

My only reason for targeting Republicans in my last post is their habitual focus on oil; the Right's unwillingness to deviate from the past century's status quo, however inauspicious that status quo may be, is far greater than the Left's.

And when did I say I opposed drilling? I simply stated that neither alternative is a magic bullet, but that one of the two is sustainable in the long-term, and one is not.

All I oppose is your negligence of the fact that oil is not a viable foundation for a global energy economy that can sustain itself for more than a century.

This is not about politics, it's about the prosperity of future generations of human beings; the self-destructive tendencies of this nation and the political party that has dominated it for eight years, however, make me wonder whether our self-imposed extinction might not be a more just fate after all.

[edit on 6-9-2008 by The Parallelogram]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   

why not vote for obama? you're a natural... you've got all their rhetoric on the tip of your tongue, almost word for word from their marching papers

that might be the party for you... with mccain, you will get americans drilling our own oil, along with the pursuit of alternative energy

parallelograms are by nature, a little skewed, but this seems clear to me...

the obamessiah might just be your guy!

A Feminist Responds to Palin Pick

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Parallelogram
I find it hilarious that you think i'm the one 'parroting' a 'mantra'; please, read the first post in this thread, and mull that one over for a while.

My opinion on this has nothing to do with Obama. I am not going to vote for Obama. You know nothing of my politics, and I will thank you to leave them out of this question, which from my perspective concerns the future of all Earth and not only the hollow ideologues you so concern yourself with.

There is no point in trying with a few of these people. They cannot see beyond party lines. Everything is is either red or blue with them. You mentioned that drilling might not be the BEST idea, so therefore you are against drilling, and if you are against drilling you are an Obamatron.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Oh god. People are such idiots.

Things like this make you lose your faith in humanity. It's a short term solution anyway, and what about the PLANET IDIOTS?

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Parallelogram
All I oppose is your negligence of the fact that oil is not a viable foundation for a global energy economy that can sustain itself for more than a century.

This is not about politics, it's about the prosperity of future generations of human beings; the self-destructive tendencies of this nation and the political party that has dominated it for eight years, however, make me wonder whether our self-imposed extinction might not be a more just fate after all.

[edit on 6-9-2008 by The Parallelogram]

But the fact is that oil is the foundation of the economy at the present time.

Until new technology starts bearing fruit, oil needs to be drilled. We can't just cut ourselves off because we need to force ourselves to find something new, we already are. Why do we have to suffer in that process. Why does food and energy have to cost so much when it is there for the taking.

The U.S. can relieve a part of it's oil burdens by the use of nuclear energy and electric cars but all the people complaining about drilling oil are the same exact people who complained about nuke plants.

I honestly don't think that the opponents of oil exploration, at least the more elite opponents want to solve the energy problems. I think they want people to starve. I think they want the general population to live in a life of feudal suck while they fly around in their private jets.

I can make a prediction right now that if a solar plant was developed and performed well enough to power the U.S., the environmentalists will start suing to stop their construction because of some "endangered" worm or fly on their proposed sites.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join