It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palin Asked About Potentially Banning Books

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Everything by JK Rowling

If Gov. (then Mayor) Palin supposedly tried to ban JK Rowling in 1996 that would be a miracle - since most of Rowlings work didn't even start to come out until at least 1997 .

Edited immediately to add link.

[edit on 9/6/2008 by FlyersFan]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

the list looks bogus but the story is true.

I had the radio on last night they had a lady from Wasilla and she went through the story. She didnt know which books it was but 100 people turned up at the town hall to support the library. At that time 1000 people voted in the mayor elections in Wasilla. Palin backed down and withdrew the letter terminating the librarians position.

[edit on 6-9-2008 by yeti101]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
the list looks bogus but the story is true.

- The list is bogus.

- The story that she wanted a librarian fired is true.

- The link between firing the librarian and the librarian refusing to 'ban books' is questionable. There was a time lapse. It may be .. but it also may not be. It's hard to tell.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
- The link between firing the librarian and the librarian refusing to 'ban books' is questionable. There was a time lapse. It may be .. but it also may not be. It's hard to tell.

According to the Anchorage Daily News article:

In December 1996, Emmons told her hometown newspaper, the Frontiersman, that Palin three times asked her -- starting before she was sworn in -- about possibly removing objectionable books from the library if the need arose.

Emmons told the Frontiersman she flatly refused to consider any kind of censorship.

When the matter came up for the second time in October 1996, during a City Council meeting, Anne Kilkenny, a Wasilla housewife who often attends council meetings, was there.

Like many Alaskans, Kilkenny calls the governor by her first name.

"Sarah said to Mary Ellen, 'What would your response be if I asked you to remove some books from the collection?" Kilkenny said.

"I was shocked. Mary Ellen sat up straight and said something along the line of, 'The books in the Wasilla Library collection were selected on the basis of national selection criteria for libraries of this size, and I would absolutely resist all efforts to ban books.'"

Palin didn't mention specific books at that meeting, Kilkenny said.

Palin herself, questioned at the time, called her inquiries rhetorical and simply part of a policy discussion with a department head "about understanding and following administration agendas," according to the Frontiersman article.

Four days before the exchange at the City Council, Emmons got a letter from Palin asking for her resignation. Similar letters went to police chief Irl Stambaugh, public works director Jack Felton and finance director Duane Dvorak. John Cooper, a fifth director, resigned after Palin eliminated his job overseeing the city museum...

What's this mean? Four days before the Council meeting exchange, four letters go out asking for the resignations of the librarian, police chief, public works director, and finance director. Palin says they were to "test their loyalty." Does that mean if they weren't 100% loyal they would be fired? Seems kind of heavy handed to me. Sounds like Palin was on a bit of a power trip as Mayor. Hate to see what she comes up with as VP.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
Palin says they were to "test their loyalty."

Yep. There is a thread floating around here about a 'loyalty oath' or something. It kind of died off, but it was brought up. I don't know if it's real or if it's even legal. The State of California still uses them. That surprised me.

Sounds like Palin was on a bit of a power trip as Mayor.

Much like Hillary Clinton is ALWAYS on a power trip.
They are alike in many ways.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I have to agree with you about Hillary. I really don't think she would be good in power either. I'm glad she lost out.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Here are the books:

For Inappropriate language

A Wrinkle in Time
Brave New World
Catch 22
Anything by Stephen King
Everything by JK Rowling
Most of Shakespeare
Webster’s 9th New Collegiate Dictionary.

This is according to a PODcast made by a woman who read the Time Magazine story. She says the librarian's name was Mary Ellen Baker, who was actually fired by Palin, but then was given her job back under public outcry.

Hang on, you say it's based off a podcast by a woman who read a Time Magazine article. How accurate is this source? Were these book titles listed in the Time Magazine article? If not, then how does this woman know which books were on the block?

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Everything by JK Rowling

If Gov. (then Mayor) Palin supposedly tried to ban JK Rowling in 1996 that would be a miracle - since most of Rowlings work didn't even start to come out until at least 1997 .

Edited immediately to add link.

[edit on 9/6/2008 by FlyersFan]

Excellent detective work! Star for your post!

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   

This is according to a PODcast made by a woman who read the Time Magazine story.

The list may be bogus. I was totally open about my source. I can't vouch for the validity of the information myself.

But the story seems to be true, even if some details are unknown.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I frankly do not care about the specifics. Evidently the report that Palin tried to have some books banned is true, and that is inexcusable.

Bad politician! No cookie for you!

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Except for the part that the librarian was fired and the books were banned. The librarian resigned during/just prior to Palin's second term, and no books were actually banned. Not to mention, Palin asked for the resignation of several city officials that were not in synch with what Palin wanted to accomplish in Wasilla.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swampfox46_1999
Except for the part that the librarian was fired

She WAS fired. The town made a big fuss and Palin gave her back her job. Read the story.

and the books were banned.

No one claimed any books were actually banned. Read the title.

Not to mention, Palin asked for the resignation of several city officials that were not in synch with what Palin wanted to accomplish in Wasilla.

Exactly. She fired several people that didn't agree with her. Great way to handle disagreement. Get rid of them.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Open_Minded Skeptic
I frankly do not care about the specifics. Evidently the report that Palin tried to have some books banned is true, and that is inexcusable.

Bad politician! No cookie for you!

Then again, I refer you to the example of the Obama campaign attempting to limit free speech.

That, sir, is also inexcusable.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

But as I stated before, campaigns are full of dirty tricks on both sides. In this case Palin cannot use the excuse that she was in a campaign. It is different and way worse IMO

[edit on 6-9-2008 by TheComte]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
If I were a betting man I'd guess it was the Harry Potters for their witchcraft and occultism.

Nah, I doubt she minds witchcraft all that much.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that she's a big Charmed and Buffy fan.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Alrighty go to this website and click

on the link that says

Banned or Censured Books Response

There are 3 or 4 names on the list who requested books be removed

Maybe this will help.

I don't see why asking somebody if they can ban a book is so controversial..What happened to freedom of speech.

If she had done it then I could see a reason to react.....

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

OK, I did that and found this in the document:

This library holds censorship to be a purely individual matter and declares that – while anyone is free to reject for himself books and other materials of which he does not approve – he cannot exercise this right of censorship to restrict the freedom of others.”

Which is exactly what Mayor Palin attempted to do. As mayor, she attempted to restrict the freedom of others.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

Is her name on the list of people who asked for books to be removed?

asking somebody does not constitute restricting the freedom of others.

No books were ever removed so the people still had the same freedom.

If I asked somebody how to rob a bank, would that mean that I am attempting to rob a bank.

Maybe I need the info to write a book.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

There were no names of the people who made the requests.

The books remained on the shelf because the librarian refused Palin's request. When she was fired, the town stood up in favour of the librarian and she was re-instated.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Remember, Hitler banned books. And I heard that Sarah is friends with NAZI symphatizers. Hmmm, connection?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join