It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge ice sheet breaks loose in Canadian arctic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Huge ice sheet breaks loose in Canadian arctic

www.msnbc.msn.com

TORONTO - A chunk of ice shelf nearly the size of Manhattan has broken away from Ellesmere Island in Canada's northern Arctic, another dramatic indication of how warmer temperatures are changing the polar frontier, scientists said Wednesday.

"The Markham Ice Shelf was a big surprise because it suddenly disappeared. We went under cloud for a bit during our research and when the weather cleared up, all of a sudden there was no more ice shelf.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I live in Canada, seems like the two territories might get flooded sooner or later, not sure if they are above sea level or not.

It seems that some understand the dangers but perhaps underestimated the speed at which the outcome will finally arrive.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Ice melts. As it ,elts, its rate of melting accelerates. At first, this process is slow, but it gets quicker.

We're talking massive ice-sheets here. They've been melting since the last ice-age started thawing. If it is happening quicker than we expected it to - so what?

Whilst I'm sorry for those directly affected, that's life.

All this talk of MMGW is rubbish. Has everyone forgotten that the Earth was molten rock at its inception?

[edit on 3-9-2008 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by mirageofdeceit

All this talk of MMGW is rubbish. Has everyone forgotten that the Earth was molten rock at its inception?

[edit on 3-9-2008 by mirageofdeceit]

So...you're okay with going back to that?

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
That's okay.
I need some ice for my cocktails, as I sit in my 300 foot yacht, a mile offshore of my half billion dollar mansion here in Palm Beach..

Oh, and please tell my chef that I like my barbecued bald eagle slightly crispy on the outside..

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I've got a question...

why was this reported from Toronto?
Wouldn't it make more sense if it were reported from Newfoundland? I mean... it IS inhabited. lol.

One thing I find funny. Is how the United States reports that the arctic has grown 30% this year... yet here we are at the scene, watching small nation sized chunks of it float by us.

Yeah... it's growing alright... if you're looking at a map with perspective.
Then again, the maps the US uses makes Canada look tiny with their perspective. Anything moving south will look like it's growing to the yanks.

new topics

top topics

join