It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA seeks next Carl Sagan - and extraterrestrial life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   

NASA seeks next Carl Sagan - and extraterrestrial life

www.newsdaily.com

NEW YORK, Sep. 3, 2008 (Reuters) — The National Aeronautics and Space Administration, famous for its manned missions to the moon, announced the creation of the Carl Sagan Postdoctoral Fellowships in Exoplanet Exploration on Wednesday.

The fellows will search for life on planets outside our solar system, the so-called exoplanets, more than 300 of which have been discovered since 1994.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Wow. I hope this is signalling a policy shift within NASA to acclimate the general populace for Extra-solar life. This combined with the Mars information could crack the whole extra terrestrial nut wide open!

Fingers crossed.

www.newsdaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
What I can't understand is why they don't focus on finding life in our solar system ??? Not counting earth there are a number of planets / moons worthy of study . Not to mention that there " closer " proximity to Earth make them the more logical choice , no ?

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO
What I can't understand is why they don't focus on finding life in our solar system ???

Why that is an excellent question and springs to mind to anyone, including NASA. I can only think of one reason they might skip our solar system and start looking elsewhere is they already had the answer.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Shere Khaan

My thought as well , one other possibility could be a front operation that is used to funnel large amounts of money to some other area .

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

I'd rather they finally got round to exploring that great big ocean we have washing up on our shores before venturing into space, there's about 60% of it we know nothing about yet we'd rather go galavanting around in space looking for little green men

[edit on 3/9/08 by Discotech]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Finding life in our own solar system would be too close to home and immediately confronting for many people.

Finding life in the distant reaches of space wouldn't have the same impact and would probably fall off the front pages, when the next 17 year old daughter of a politican gets herself pregnant.

NASA probably have found life in our solar system, but they're keeping a lid on it. Who said that they had to divulge anything?

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Discotech

Right again .
Seems NASA is counting on the sell factor of this info release .

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Discotech
I'd rather they finally got round to exploring that great big ocean we have washing up on our shores before venturing into space,

They're alrady working on it like this expedition to the Cayman Trough. It's not like we can only do one scientific endeavour at one time. And besides who said anything about gallivanting off? I suppose it's possible if we suddenly develop faster than light space travel but I doubt it. I presume they will be using the improved telescope technology mainly (although "other means" is quite evocative).

n addition, the agency wants to attract young scientists who share Sagan's wonderment about the cosmos who will dedicate themselves to answering the question, "Are we alone?" through improved telescope technology or other means.

new topics

top topics

join