It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

NEWS: Taiwan's President & Vice President Shot

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Lien Chen, Taiwan's President, was rushed to the hospital after being shot in the abdomen while campaging for Saturday's election. The shooting happened in Taipei, at 1:45pm local time (0545 GMT Friday).
 

CNN.com

Vice President Annette Lu was grazed in the right leg by a bullet.

Neither's condition is critical and President Chen urged for calm. The elections will go on as planned. Note that Taiwan is expected to declare sovereignty on the same day.

Chen and Lu had been riding in the back of a four wheel drive while campaigning in Chen's hometown. As the motorcade rolled down a busy street lined with residents and with firecrackers going off, an unknown gunman opened fire. Intially it was thought that an exploding firecracker had hit them.

A bullet hole was clearly visible in the front passenger side window of the vehicle. Both are listed in stable condition at a local hospital.

Related Stories:
Reuters


[Edited on 19-3-2004 by Banshee]




posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Sounds like WWI all over again, does it not? Seems the predictions for volatile days on the 19th and 20th are starting to come true.



posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 05:27 AM
link   
There is clearly people that dont want him in power. They dont want the refurendum to go on. This was just mearly an attempt to discourage the refurendum. I doubt they hurt it at all now that the president did not die it probly but a new fire under it.Dont worry tho the major news media will brush it aside (out of the major news networks i only see 1 headline for the incident) They will blame it on a terrorist or a discontent citizen of tawian. This story will be non-existant by tonight because of the US news media. This is a story of great magnitude taht coulod have turned out really bad and led us into war. Thankfully it didnt. Well lets see what tomarrow brings.



posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 09:31 AM
link   
The article I am linking too below shows that the French are holding joint military exercises with China right now. Seen as a show of force against Tawain. What are the French up too? They stood against us in the Iraq war which would have been fine if we had not also found out they were essentially on the take from Saddam. Now they align with China? I wonder how others in Europe see this? Are they so desperate for allies they will risk aligning themselves with what is apparently the most oppressive regime in the world?

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. I would hate to be in Tawain right now. Threats from China, assasination attempts and now a major EU power aligning against you as well.

UPI article



posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by nativeokie
The article I am linking too below shows that the French are holding joint military exercises with China right now. Seen as a show of force against Tawain. What are the French up too? They stood against us in the Iraq war which would have been fine if we had not also found out they were essentially on the take from Saddam. Now they align with China? I wonder how others in Europe see this? Are they so desperate for allies they will risk aligning themselves with what is apparently the most oppressive regime in the world?


I think France is just looking for a way to get closer economic ties with China so that they can get more money out of them. But that is just my opinion.



posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 02:45 AM
link   
No offense, but the person assasinated on March 19 was Chen Shui-Bian instead of Lien Chen. However, Chen Shui-Bian is indeed the current Presdient. Lien Chen was his opponent in the election held on March 20.

[Edited on 21-3-2004 by rastobark]



posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   
[These photos are explicit and contain bleeding. These photos are not for children]

news.bbc.co.uk...

news.bbc.co.uk...

news.bbc.co.uk...

source: news.bbc.co.uk...

[Edited on 21-3-2004 by ktprktpr]



posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quicksilver
There is clearly people that dont want him in power. They dont want the refurendum to go on. This was just mearly an attempt to discourage the refurendum. I doubt they hurt it at all now that the president did not die it probly but a new fire under it.Dont worry tho the major news media will brush it aside (out of the major news networks i only see 1 headline for the incident) They will blame it on a terrorist or a discontent citizen of tawian. This story will be non-existant by tonight because of the US news media. This is a story of great magnitude taht coulod have turned out really bad and led us into war. Thankfully it didnt. Well lets see what tomarrow brings.


Err the people have re-elected him i reckon it was the Chinese government who sent someone to try and put an end to his term as President.

Chen Shiu Bien is a good leader, he wants what the people want and that is not to be part of China.



posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Here is something, the shooting might have been staged!


"Why don't we trust the government? Because there are too many things under a cloud of suspicion," Lien, the scion of one of Taiwan's wealthiest families, told his supporters.

There has been widespread speculation that the shooting may have been staged, but officials have denied this.

www.reuters.com...;:405dda37:2d85dc89fa1272de?type=worldNews&locale=en_IN&storyID=4613454


The shooting of President Chen Shui-bian and Vice President Annette Lu on the eve of yesterday's election left crucial questions unanswered - the biggest being who did it and why.

Presidential assassinations or attempts inevitably provide a mountain of grist for conspiracy theorists and the timing and many circumstances of Taiwan's will ensure this one is no exception.

An opposition lawmaker was already asking why President Chen Shui-bian had been taken to a hospital more than 5 kilometers from the shooting site in Chen's hometown of Tainan and not rushed to the nearest facility.

www.etaiwannews.com...

[Edited on 21-3-2004 by SpittinCobra]



posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   
idk prob just mere speculation. i mean why even risk that?? A chance you might die and if you die it is for sure that ur opponent will win?? This looks more like the work of the chinese or at least a chinese citizen whos mad at taiwan. Also hes a politician how many people that are in politics are willing to take a bullet???



posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quicksilver
Also hes a politician how many people that are in politics are willing to take a bullet???


Im sure alot would to keep control of a country. Maybe he would rather be dead than lose control. Power makes people do crazy things, keeping it makes them even crazier.



posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   
but im thinkin about like american politicians?? I mean chen still had a chance to lose and that would suck even more gettin a bullet then loseing. no doubt it probly helped him but i dont think it was planned.



posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   
but im thinkin about like american politicians?? I mean chen still had a chance to lose and that would suck even more gettin a bullet then loseing. no doubt it probly helped him but i dont think it was planned.



posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quicksilver
but im thinkin about like american politicians??



Ok, if that is the case, you need to state so. I dont know how I could come to this conclusion. We are not talking about the US at all.




top topics



 
0

log in

join