It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ike now a hurricane

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Ike now a hurricane

www.baynews9.com

Forecasters say Ike has become the fifth hurricane in the Atlantic this season.

Ike has sustained winds near 80 mph and is about 670 miles east-northeast of the Leeward Islands. It is moving west-northwest near 18 mph.

It is too early to say whether Ike might threaten land. It is currently a Category One hurricane.

Bay News 9 Chief Meteorologist Mike Clay says Ike could be a threat to Florida on the east coast.

Ike is behind Tropical Storm Hanna, which is battering Haiti, where it has killed 26 people.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 3/9/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Hanna is trying to grow into a monster and here comes little Ike on a collision course with her. Ike is small but well organized and Hanna is a massive system, Could they join and form into one massive catastrophic storm?

I know they tend to affect each other negatively but Ike is moving fast while Hanna is not moving out of the way fast enough. It looks like Ike is plowing into Hanna now.

I hope for everyones sake that they extinguish each other but we couldn't get that lucky could we?

www.baynews9.com...

www.baynews9.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 3/9/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
They won't collide. No chance of that. Hanna's going north, Ike is going west.

If storms get close enough, and we're talking real close geographically, they may display the Fujiwhara effect. This article describes it well.

It also discusses storms "merging." It's fairly rare for two tropical cyclones to "merge," but if they do come that close together the bigger one just tears up the weaker one. They do not and will not combine to create a "super" hurricane.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher
It looks like Ike is plowing into Hanna now.

I'd like to plow into Hanna as well, but of course we're probably not talking about the same thing here. I just find it interesting that they named this hurricane Ike and the previous Gustav. Global and political events must be a hot topic at the National Weather Center.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by anachryon
They won't collide. No chance of that. Hanna's going north, Ike is going west.

Did you see the looped satellite shot? Hanna is massive in size so no Westpoint you wouldn't want to hit it lol.

I just want people to keep their eyes on this one because I have a bad feeling about this. I have a feeling they will become one and turn into a super storm.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Hanna and Ike look pretty merged to me. This is the latest from NOAA.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher
Did you see the looped satellite shot? Hanna is massive in size so no Westpoint you wouldn't want to hit it lol.

I just want people to keep their eyes on this one because I have a bad feeling about this. I have a feeling they will become one and turn into a super storm.

Which looped sat? Visible? IR? WV? Doppler? Dvorak? Let me know what you're looking at.

They won't "become one and turn into a super storm" because that's not meteorologically possible. Please read over this link where that question is answered by a Louisiana meteorologist. He explains it well.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by UFOTECH

Here is a better image of the two storms I posted over in the existing Ike discussion. Don't be fooled by the vapor thrown off around Hanna; those are just clouds. Look for the denser lump of solid cover near her thumbtack to find the actual TS Hanna.

Looking at it that way, you can see that the two storms are quite far apart!

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by WestPoint23

I'd like to plow into Hanna as well

Yikes!

theres enough cheese here to feed the worlds poor!.

new topics

top topics

join