It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Climate Study Indicates Hottest Decade in 1,300 Years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   

New Climate Study Indicates Hottest Decade in 1,300 Years

www.dailytech.com

Now one of the more cohesive studies to date, published by Penn State's Earth System Science Center, has offered up a factual analysis of exactly how much warming is occurring. Rather than focus on creative modeling often considered a refuge of global warming skeptics and alarmists alike, Penn state instead analyzed historic and contemporary data.

It found that the last 10 years for the Northern Hemisphere were the hottest in 1,300 years.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.pnas.org

environment.newscientist.com

[edit on 3/9/08 by Shere Khaan]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
As much as I don't like these kinds of reports it is comprehensive to say the least.

Among the extensive information used in the analysis were marine and lake sediment cores, ice cores, and coral cores.

This goes against the evidence cited that atmosphere temperatures have dropped in the last 10 years and was somewhat controversial.

Part of the paper's strength derives from its veritable who's who of climatologists and leading scientists -- Mann; Ray Bradley, university distinguished professor, geosciences and director, Climate System Research Center, University of Massachusetts; Malcolm Hughes, regents' professor, and Fenbiao Ni, research associate, the Laboratory of Tree Ring Research, University of Arizona; Zhihua Zhang and Sonya Miller, research associates, meteorology, Penn State; and Scott Rutherford, assistant professor, environmental sciences, Roger Williams University

www.dailytech.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shere Khaan

This goes against the evidence cited that atmosphere temperatures have dropped in the last 10 years and was somewhat controversial.

It sure has in Florida. It was much hotter here back in the late 80s and early to mid 90s. Someone else now has our heat waves I guess.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Interesting post. First of all there are are a lot of things I don't get about climate science. One of them has to be how there can be differing opinions on whether the temperature has fallen or risen in the past 10 years.
I mean I can understand that it's tricky determining the temperature centuries ago with varying methods and results etc. but today we have satellites and weather stations so how can people have different opinions

And actually the article you posted has apparently already been debunked here:

www.climateaudit.org...

Now most of this stuff is way over my head but apparently the gist of it is as follows:

The largest problem seems to be Mann has (yet again) chosen to use data that he knows (and even admits) is corrupted by influences other than climate -- Lake sediment in Finland, for instance. Rather than tossing out the spurious data, he "adjusts" it, by a novel statistical method he invents himself, and one that doesn't remove the signal at all.

-Taken from the comments box under the original article.

A lot of scientists also seem to be concerned that the suns activity is decreasing dramatically, and that this may lead to a period of cooling:

www.dailytech.com...

But I think the best argument that global warming is, at least not all man made, is the compelling evidence that the rest of the planets in the solar are also experiencing global warming:

www.enterprisemission.com...

It's a bit long but absolutely fascinating to read. And the source data used is all official, NASA, ESA, etc.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

Well it's not in northern Europe, I can tell you that!

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MrVertigo

All good points except for the solar system changes.

I wouldn't hold too much faith in the article on the planetary changes without thoroughly checking the references yourself. By your own arguments on the initial report, the data used is far worse and incomparable in any kind of statistical analysis.

Take for instance the Venus footnotes. They use an SRI report to justify a 2500% increase in brightness and yet they totally discount the initial measurement was taken with instruments 100 times inferior (10,000%), and they even state that further measurements are needed to be able to draw any kind of conclusion.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Here in Chicago, Tom Skilling says that this decade has the least amount of 90sF since 1930s with a very low amount of 90 degree days. We just hit 95F at Midway Airport yesterday, and it was the first 95F day in 700 days! and to be honest, I do remember it being much warmer when I was a kid during the late 1980s and 1990s. So in effect, its been getting cooler. Right now @ 8:07PM its about 65F.

"From External Source:
Decade has had fewest 90-degree days since 1930

By Tom Skilling
Chicago Tribune
August 13, 2008
August is the wettest and often the muggiest month of the year. Yet, summer heat continues in short supply, continuing a trend that has dominated much of the 21st Century's opening decade. There have been only 162 days 90 degrees or warmer at Midway Airport over the period from 2000 to 2008. That's by far the fewest 90-degree temperatures in the opening nine years of any decade on record here since 1930.

This summer's highest reading to date has been just 91 degrees. That's unusual. Since 1928, only one year—2000—has failed to record a higher warm-season temperature by Aug. 13."
suanews.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
What's with all this adjustment of temperatures, anyway?

"Removing signals" etc.. - is it warmer or not? Removing these "signals" to me, is nothing short of making the data read what you want it to.

You CAN'T ignore local varience! They're doing what they're doing because it makes the numbers stack up.

[edit on 3-9-2008 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I love this field of "science". Found this article here where WWF blames clobal cooling on carbon emissions. Simply awesome

Conservation group WWF has blamed climate change for the coldest August in Sydney for more than 60 years.

The freezing temperatures are proof of the urgent need to cut carbon pollution, according to WWF development and sustainability program manager Paul Toni.

new topics

top topics

join