It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major Hurricane Ike

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by anachryon

Thankyou for all you did through out the night, blessings and sleep well my friend.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Louisiana | 10:45 a.m. Texas is earning most of the attention at the moment, but a portion of Louisiana’s low-lying coast was also under a hurricane warning before Ike made landfall. Now, a wire report brings word of serious flooding in Lake Charles, La., a town close to the border with Texas.

So serious was the situation that a local television station’s employees were unable to report on the story, as several updates on their blog this morning showed:

We are unable to leave the station, the water is too high at the moment.

[…] We keep calling the radio stations. We fear they may be underwater as we cannot reach anyone about our coverage.

thelede.blogs.nytimes.com...

"Scores of windows were blown out at the JPMorgan Chase Tower in Houston."

[edit on 13-9-2008 by arktkchr]

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by arktkchr

Ah, at least something good came from this (major damage to a JP Morgan asset.) Chase was the most evil, untrustworthy, and lying credit card company I have dealt with. It serves them right to have their building take a hit. If only their data was all stored in one place and got wiped out, now that would be even better!

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
It is 11:30 AM in Anderson County Texas and we are catching some of the wind and rain from Ike. The electric power has been going off and on for the last 2 hours, things are calming now, but that can change at any moment. My wife moved her truck to the edge of our property in case the access easement is blocked by fallen trees, or washed out by rain. Well I just lost power again, but I am on my lap top and was saved by the battery. Power is on again. This kind of weather is something that is pretty common in Texas really, I'm hoping that there aren't to many tornadoes spawned by this thing.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I grew up in Houston and still have family there, so I have been following Ike very closely. Something, even from the beginning when it formed, told me it was heading straight for Houston. I don't know what made me think that but clearly, what ever it was, was right.

I'm moving back down there in three weeks, and was actually supposed to be down there today, but something happened that prevented me from heading down there.

I agree with what Indy said here. Something just doesn't add up with Ike. Although I'm certainly glad it didn't strengthen to a Category 4 or 5 by the time it hit Galveston, there's no natural reason that I can see that it didn't strengthen. Its over warm waters with little or no wind shear and no other weather systems to kill it. It makes absolutely no sense.

Hurricane Ike In Pictures
Pictures and captions courtesy of the Houston Chronicle

Damage to JPMorgan Chase Tower is seen from a building across Travis

Window blinds litter the street after the JPMorgan Chase Tower was heavily damaged by Hurricane Ike

Hurricane Ike's gusts toppled this pine tree in Pearland

This building in Galveston was heavily damaged by Hurricane Ike. The massive hurricane ravaged southeast Texas early Saturday, battering the coast with driving rain and ferocious wind gusts

A washateria is seen with destruction caused from the winds of Hurricane Ike

Arbor Street just southwest of downtown Houston flooded this morning

An uncontrolled fire burns in the distance as the eye of Hurricane Ike passes over Galveston this morning

Hurricane damage at this Galveston cafe is seen this morning

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Hi all,

I just wanted to say a massive thank you to everyone who has been keeping this thread updated with all the information available and explaining it for those of us who aren't too scientific.

I managed to talk to may family in Brazoria about 2 hours ago, and they are fine...windswept, but fine. They have cellphone signals, but no landlines or power, and my Dad's little wooden house was totalled by a fallen tree, but he, thankfully, was staying with friends.

God willing there will be no more loss of life.

I wish I could give the regular posters here a gift of points of something just as an official thank you for a fabulous job, so I hope the Mods are watching and do it on my behalf....

Cait

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Three very fortunate people in Galveston. A man, finance and friend decide to ride the storm in the 91st street fishing pier. After the bottom floor (concrete) washes away they go to the second level which manged to barely survive the waves. Their calls for rescue during the storm went without response due to the weather.

Reports are stating the the historic Balinese Room, a 600 foot pier based restaurant, has been lost.

Kemah, TX and it's board walk are still under water on the west side of Galveston Bay.

[edit on 9/13/2008 by roadgravel]

[edit on 9/13/2008 by roadgravel]

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Whew. Best night of sleep I've had in awhile. The little one had a softball game this morning so I'm still catching up.

It's way too early to say for certain, but it looks like Galveston was lucky...all things considered. If Ike had made landfall 40 miles west of where he did, the news this morning would have been horrendous. The eyewall passing over allowed a couple hours respite for people in serious trouble to make their way to safer spots on the island; apparently an entire family arrived at the San Luis hotel (where the media has been broadcasting from) because their house was underwater. They apparently weren't the only ones to make their way there.
In addition, the landfall point kept the highest storm surge east of Galveston Island. Galveston got 13.5' from what I understand. The west end of the island is reportedly completely underwater and much of the city proper has standing water.

The damage across a wide area looks to be extensive. Lots of collapsed buildings, roofs torn away, downed trees, and obviously the flooding.

Ike has just now been downgraded to a tropical storm - 12 hours after landfall.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Some Coast Guard aerial footage has recently been released. It shows amazingly extensive flooding...miles and miles of neighborhoods that are just completely underwater. You can't see any streets or landmarks, just the top part of houses and trees. Looks like maybe 4-6' of water, though it's hard to tell from an aerial standpoint exactly how much. The footage is, frankly, disturbing. I hope no one was in those houses.

Coast Guard aerial rescues are ongoing. They're plucking people from rooftops, not just in Galveston but in surrounding areas as well.

Beaumont, TX is reportedly in "bad shape" per an EMT there.

Reliant Stadium in Houston has been damaged, extent unknown but significant enough to cancel an upcoming football game. Part of the roof has been ripped off, and there's other structural damage as well.

Numerous buildings in Galveston have been destroyed. Footage on MSNBC showed a huge twisted pile of rubble and lumber, and the reporter on scene said something to the effect of "This used to be Hooters."

Numerous large boats have been washed up into the streets of Galveston. This is probably on the bay side of the island.

The Strand (Galv.) under 6-8' of water.

All but two piers on the Galveston seawall are reportedly completely gone. The bay side is largely underwater.

Entergy TX reports nearly all of its subscribers are without power and that they have suffered extensive infrastructure damage "much worse than Rita." Power restoration is not expected for "weeks."

Water and sewer service is down for many.

Gov. Rick Perry says there is extensive infrastructure damage in Galveston and surrounding areas. Galveston Island is closed; no one but emergency personnel will be allowed in until further notice.

Rumors of a media quarantine on Galveston Island.
We may not be hearing the real story there yet.

More updates to follow.

EDIT: some damage photos from the Austin Statesman

[edit on 9/13/2008 by anachryon]

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Thanks for the above pictures and Cait, I am very happy that your Dad is safe.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Here's some more pictures.

Incredible...

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The three people who wanted to ride out the storm drinking on the fishing have been rescued today by coast guard helicopter. One just has to wonder how some people's minds work. It would appear they just missed becoming floatsam in the storm.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
We made it in Sugar Land. In fact, we did fantastic on our property. There are more shingles in our yard then there are missing from our roof.

Three houses down, a family is missing more then half their shingles and also lost their chimney. There is a hole in their roof were the chimney used to be and completely exposed wooden panels on the roof. The term "water damage" is probably an understatement.

Only 100 feet from our house, it seems the storm was worse. Trees are down. More extensive roof damage. So we feel crazy lucky.

This morning, it wasn't possible to drive anywhere. The streets were cleared (sort of) allowing people to play with their lives every time they came across a blacked out intersection.

Many, many traffic lights dangle loosely from the vine. It's a dangerous situation.

We were without power for about 12 hours. We were just outside the eye on the west side so some of the storm trained over us between 2am and 4am.

During that time, wind and rain water seeped through our front door the same way a ghost would seep through. The wind forced it's way THROUGH the door, making an awful kazoo sounding scream each with each heavy gust.

It was very unnerving but once we realized what was happening, there was some mental comfort.

We do have our electricity back but my cell phone is no better then a toy right now. And I believe my new computer suffered some type of power surge.

But we're okay. For those of you with DirecTV, channel 361 is showing Houston's channel 11 (KHOU/CBS).

Thanks everybody for all your direct and indirect support.

A local electric company reported that 2.3 of it's 2.6 million customers were without power. But for the most part, I believe Fort Bend and Wharton counties are back on line. But north and east of Fort Bend, it's a terrible tragedy.

Oh yeah, and 25% of our fuel service has been suspended NATIONWIDE. Get ready to dig deep for a tank of gas. Dig deep. In your wallet.

Edit: Does anyone know of any gas stations open in the Houston area?

[edit on 9/14/2008 by Genfinity]

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Not to downplay the land fall area in the least but what is left of Ike is currently buffeting my little slice of home 35 mile north of Cincinnati, OH.

Lots of wind and wind damage, trees down power is out to over 350, 000 customers of Duke Energy. The area looks as though a tornado hit due to the winds but we have not yet had any rain.

As for me, the laptop and G3 mobile broadband have been able to keep me online as well as my battery backup of a car jumpstarter hooked up through a normal 12V car adapter. So long as the cell towers hold I have internet service on demand and in short burst to conserve power.

Just wanted people to know how big of an event Ike really is since Galveston is about 1000 miles away.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Last NHC Advisory was issued at 4 AM, the last 3 day track indicated redeveloping of Tropical Storm Force Characteristics near the Great Lakes as it moved through Canada and into the North Atlantic. I'm not sure if that has to do with front intensification, or if it's just the strength of the front they're measuring, but they indicated windspeeds increasing with Ike to 45 MPH by 48 hours (now 36).

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
We had sustained winds in the 35-45MPH range with gusts upwards of 65MPH today. And I am still without power (8 hours now) as is most of Cincinnati and surrouning areas.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
All the way to Ohio?

Thats crazy.

Here is what happened today. A cold front is pushing it's way through Houston. As it approached, it triggered severe rain in the already moist city of Houston.

Many people who thought their roofs did great got a reality check, including me.

Damage to our roof, although still minor, was greater then we originally thought. The storm displaced some loose shingles to reveal the true damage.

Across the street, part of a roof caved in. I could go on.

My job has the reopen itch but our particular location is still without power.

Intersections and their traffic lights are still a mess. So are some people's common sense as they approach them. Most gas stations and grocery stores are closed. Of those that are open, the lines are long in distance and in time. Many open gas stations only have the premium grade (really?) and most grocery stores are out of ice, milk, bread, meat.

Although I am one of the lucky ones, most are still without power. And it is beginning to take over peoples minds. People are starting to get weird.

The pioneers would be ashamed of us (they would probably be afraid of us, as mean and tough as they were).

I have made two "exploration" trips since the hurricane hit. I will not make anymore unless it is truly required. I don't think it will be like this much longer in Sugar Land but I am afraid for what is going on north and east of here.

We didn't learn from 911 or any of the other disasters in the last few decades.

From now on, I am putting some of my paycheck into survival gear. Water, food, cold hard cash (some places that are open but without power are only taking cash), and additional cash for fuel.

I am also going to buy a heavy duty bicycle as well as some camping equipment. And update my firearms.

The next time a hurricane blows through Houston (a cat 3 or worse), I want to get out of here.

Dry air in the western gulf stopped Ike from turning into a cat 4. Think this is bad? A cold front saved Houston from having the storm linger around for awhile.

We are double lucky. The next time this happens, I am out. If I get in trouble at work for bugging out early, oh well.

Americans have come a long way in technology but in survival skills, we have taken big steps backwards. Including me.

Get your kids in boy scouts or girl scouts. You may not agree with some of their ways bu at least they teach your kids how to survive.

For those of you in the path of Ike, take care of yourself and take care of your family.

And thanks everybody for your moral support.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I am so glad yall made it through ..
We was praying for you all .Thank you LORD ....
So sorry you had to go through all of that

And sorry to hear so many without power ....even in OH ..
I know that has to be uncomfortable .

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
The good new for places without power LIKE Ohio (midwest, East Coast -- not so much in the south), is that temperatures are mild, and once the front moves through, it's quite nice behind it. So there's no "misery" per say as far as air temp goes. That's the good side of the scope.

We're drying out now here on the far North side of where Ike went, in fact we had a spot of sunshine today and the moon was around earlier this evening too! We got a total of 13.7 inches of rain here, quite a lot for this area!

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Tail end of the storm has just passed the northern border, we got the whimpering last shreds of the storm here in Toronto a short while ago. Just gusting winds and a little rain is all that's left of Ike, reduced to a small shower.

They usually are by the time they make it this far north. It's Ice storms we have to fear up here.

It's incredible the number of fronts that have hit the US lately.

And the hell Cuba has gone through, just amazing.

Well, best wishes, hope no loved ones got hurt by Ike. Good luck with restorations.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join