It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you? or Wouldn't you?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Hiya People,

Emotive question for you all that I'v just been thinking about, imagine SitX has hit or TSHTF and someone close to you either a very close friend or a relative even, is injured/ill/can't cope and is actually slowing you and other members of your group down.

Imagine that this person, however close to you, is actually impeading your chances of survival and in all likelyhood is going to halt you getting help/where you need to be/equipment etc

What would you do? Realistically?

Would you leave them and let them chance it alone? Would you abandon the rest of the group and stick it out with your loved one? Or would you persuade the rest of the group to help you and move on as a team?

I think its a horrible situation to be in, but thousands of people in the world face this dilemma every single day.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
A lot would depend on what injury, illness or why they cant cope. Once that has been evaluated then you will have a better idea of what to do or not to do next. Good affective triageing is vital.

Another factor would be, how many people are in your team? If there is enough, then a stretcher could be made and by taking it in turns a relay system could be done to move the injured/sick person.

You would have to think on what your conscience will be like if you abandon a loved one.

There are too many variables to ascertain for sure.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
While I agree with Wotan in that there's a lot of variables that should be considered, I'd also like to think that I would most likely stay behind if there's no hope. I'm mainly considering my wife in this case; I can't imagine leaving her behind just because she'd be slowing down the rest of the group. Let the group go on, and I'd stay behind with her. Lord knows she's done just as much (if not more) for me.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I think the number one factor is WHO IS THE PERSON you are contemplating leaving behind. Is it the wife/husband, one of your children, a friend or a complete stranger?

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wotan
I think the number one factor is WHO IS THE PERSON you are contemplating leaving behind. Is it the wife/husband, one of your children, a friend or a complete stranger?

I'll build my point on that, within the context of the group's understanding of my relationship with that person, I would hold on until the rest of the group told me it was pointless. I would probably still try to hold on, but that person may tell me to let go.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I would stick it out and help them. If they are a friend or family then it's worth dying to save them. Especially my children.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
if the illness or injury is survivable, i will not leave them for dead. if it is not survivable, i will not leave them to die alone. if they are already dead, i will not leave the body to the elements or the enemy, although in that case i may elect to go back for it later, as a retrieval. these things i know from experience, and i will not compromise on them. death is very personal, very real, and most permanent. and i have to live with myself in the aftermath. if the rest of the group wants to leave 'em, fine. they can go on without me. after all, they have to live with themselves in the aftermath too.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
serious life threatening injury to an immediate loved one who wanted to be ''left'' behind alone would be given a gun and a farewell. now if this loved one didn't want to be left behind alone but was slowing the group down with no way of transporting him/her i would then choose to stay with them till the end and let the group go on without us ....if they want me to stay ...i stay !! if they want me to leave .... i leave, that's the only way id be able to live with myself afterwards, by carrying out there last wishes

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
If you are the leader of a group and have to make this descision, you could run into problems either way.

If you choose to leave someone behind it could have a huge negative effect on the psychology of the group. People may resent you for leaving someone behind and perceive you as cold and emotionless, they might start to wonder if you would do the same thing to them in the same situation. Particularly if you have a large group of "regular" (non-survivalist type) people.

On the other hand if you decide to stay you might be perceived as wasting time and resources and clinging to something behind hope.

It really depends on the situation... if somebody has a broken back or neck, there is really no hope for them and it's probably better to put them out of it than have them writhe in pain for their last hours/days. If they have a sprained or even broken limb it's another story and I would probably want to stay and help, set up camp if we weren't running away from something and we could do it.

Ultimately I think the most fair thing would be to let the group have a vote and decide for themself. Hopefully it would be clear (70%+), if it was 50/50 it would end up destroying your group.

All I know is that would be a terrible and horrifying way to die... say if you got paralzed from the waist down and abandoned, all you could do is lay there and die... damn.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I would stick by their side no matter what. If it means I die too so be it. If they are dying, I'd comfort them and make their last stretch on Earth as bearable as possible.

If they were sick, then I'd pace the rest of the group so that they could keep up. No-one would ever be left behind, no matter what the circumstances.

Because what's the point in surviving if you haven't got your loved ones?

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I would give the person a choice depending on the situation. Some people might want to end it for themselves right there and not suffer anymore. or i would stay with them. Im not sure how well i would handle leaving a person very close to my heart behind. And that would might do more harm then just staying there with the person.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
this is a bad question.

You cannot war game this scenario

there is not right answer

Trying to speculate now WILL make you second guess yourself if that situation does occur.

you have to trust you self to make the right decision at that time with the knowledge you have then on the the ground.

the best answer is, either! Just do not second guess your self.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Leave no one behind. That is the unwritten rule for the US military forces. If it's good enough for them it's good enough for anybody. Anyone who would violate that compact is morally bankrupt.

Period.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
This is not true.

Mission first. that is rule 1.

My men and I knew that there are many situations in which a person could get left behind, in an exposed position bleeding to death, or captured.

That is life.

It is good to know that every effort will be made to leave no man behind and get the mission done.

Its not the best and it is not advertised but damned if I am going to lose the battle to save one person.

Again, let me stress that it is priority 2

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by irongunner

Well, I never even saw a persons body left behind even when they were in pieces. Please tell me you weren't a Marine.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
My mindset has been to leave nobody behind as well. Having said that, I would not want any of my group members to fret over my body, nor waste time with excavating a grave, if they were under pressure. I would know if I were mortally wounded, I believe, having been injured/wounded many times in the past. If I were unconscious and unable to contribute toward the decision, m'Bride would make decisions for me and vice-versa. My Bride would not leave me, nor would I leave her -- I know that as true as much as I know anything.

In as much as it's an uncomfortable thing to think about, I believe it's an important thing to ponder. Strategically, it can be beneficial to an enemy to wound one of your members, rather than kill them, in that it consumes more labor to deal with a wounded person.

It's part of why we moved to a practically ignored nonstrategic island nation. Come what may, we are making our stand here. That thought gives us a lot of peace of mind. There is noplace to bug out TO, just the other end/side of the island.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Yeah, what's the point of survival if we lose our humanity in the process?

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Personally leaving behind your spouse or child to die alone. Just to save your own hide your hide isn't worth saving in the first place . I would give my life to save my family any day . If I lost my life bringing comfort to a loved one in their last hours then so be it time well spent .

If we loose our humanity we have lost all that we are .Whats use is there if we are so concerned with survival we lose our humanity by leaving behind a loved one to die alone ? Why survive that would be a fate worse than death packing around the guilt of leaving your wife of child to die alone ! That is if you have a conscience.

Many wild animals will risk a fight with man or any other creature to stay with their dieing offspring or mate . And we consider our selves a higher life form than them . Are we really ?

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron
Hiya People,

Emotive question for you all that I'v just been thinking about, imagine SitX has hit or TSHTF and someone close to you either a very close friend or a relative even, is injured/ill/can't cope and is actually slowing you and other members of your group down.

Imagine that this person, however close to you, is actually impeading your chances of survival and in all likelyhood is going to halt you getting help/where you need to be/equipment etc

What would you do? Realistically?

Would you leave them and let them chance it alone? Would you abandon the rest of the group and stick it out with your loved one? Or would you persuade the rest of the group to help you and move on as a team?

I think its a horrible situation to be in, but thousands of people in the world face this dilemma every single day.

A child we take with us, moving at the speed of the slowest, and adult depends on his skills usefulness, IE if he is a doctor or farmer or power gen energineer we try and save him, if hes just another person part of the group he will probably get left somewhere as safe as possible, until we can get the main party to a safe haven then go back and get him. Mind you if a tsunamai, pyroclastic flow, cloud of gas etc is coming we will just dump him and try and get the groups children to safety.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zanzibar
I would stick by their side no matter what. If it means I die too so be it. If they are dying, I'd comfort them and make their last stretch on Earth as bearable as possible.

Because what's the point in surviving if you haven't got your loved ones?

So because Granny has collapsed through illness, exhaution or just old age, you will stay with her til the end giving up your own life as well, and either letting your children die as well, or abandoning them to survive on their own.

Thats not survivalism, that herd mentality,With respect I dont think survivalism is for you. If you have a family you will let them all die to stay with one till the end. In the real world most leaders of families(mum or dad) will do anything to keep their children alive and safe, including abandoning granny.

[edit on 1-10-2008 by Northern Raider]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join