It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China dolls...why?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Why are so many people scared to death by these tiny little 'lifeless' things.

I know I myself am scared enough that seeing a picture of one genuinely makes my heart rate increase and I would rather break the computer than look at it. I turn over if they ever come on TV and have to walk out of any shop containing one.

On a holiday a few years ago there was a china doll placed next to the bed... I daredn't even move it or ask for it to be moved, and I'm 16. Every night I would wake up to check it was still in its place, and everynight it was, and every night it looked like it was staring at me.

But why? Why is it people are so scared of thse things? What is it about these, but not fluffy little teddy bears, or action men or barbie dolls...

Heck writing this thread honestly has me checking my back.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I'm... not that scared of them?

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
uh, well they don't do anything for me.

It's probably an uncanny valley thing. Look it up if you haven't heard of it. Kind of why people like watching cartoony pixar films instead of near-photo realistic square enix films (OK, besides the fact that the latter are awful in every way besides technical prowess)

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Probably because of the Chucky movies or other films featuring demented dolls that come to life. I don't like some dolls either, and sometimes feel uncomfortable in a home where a person collects creepy looking dolls and other hideous child-themed items, but I'm ok with barbie!

It's the same with clowns and rag dolls, alot of people don't like them.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:15 AM
link   
It dosen't matter what makes others afraid of them. Not that I am or have ever known anyone else to be.

But if you are, then you need to ask yourself, why you are.

Usually we associate something we fear with a traumatic event, and generalize it. For instance we might be holding a stuffed bunny as a child, and a baloon bursts frightening us. Later we might develop an aversion to anything white and furry.

It sounds like something creeped you out, as a small child. If you can recall it, you can overcome this aversion.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by umbr45

The only reason I would be scared of China Dolls is because I am a klutz and tend to knock a lot of things over. Knocking over a teddy bear is OK, but knocking over my sister's China Doll got me a swift kick in the jatz crackers.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:16 AM
link   
haha nice lolz
there scary as

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Maybe because they look like dead people?

I mean, they're very realistic...but their lack of animation, or breathing, blinking, whatever...their lifelessness is evocative of death?

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
There are people out there afraid of China Dolls? News to me, but then again,there is probably someone, somewhere scared of everything, so I guess it's normal(ish).

There are only 2 china Dolls that scare me.

The one that looked like George Costanza's mother.

And chyna, the ex wrestler, who used to be known as Chyna Doll.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Surprised there arn't more people afraid of it here... It is quite common around my school and on forums I used to frequent...

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
In Japan dolls are said to contain souls,this fact drives most people to find suitable homes for their dolls after they die this belief even spans over to dolls of the "dutch wife" persuasion.Maybe it is the fact that they look so much like once living beings that make them so terrifying.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
It must be something like that.

I have no idea why I am afraid of them, I just have been since I can remember... They just seem to encapsulate evil for me.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I used to be afraid of looking at grey aliens. Just the simplicity of their features but with those creepy big black eyes...

If you really wanna scare yourself look at pictures of greys while listening to the x files theme song one night.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
If you are talking about porcelain dolls, both my daughters are afraid of them. When they were little, I used to buy them dolls each Christmas, but they'd never get taken out of the box. They sit on the shelf in the closet still in the original boxes. The only doll they did take out of the box, was placed on their dresser. That doll has had her face to the wall for 15 yrs now. I keep hoping one day they will lose their fear and turn the doll around the right way. Looks like it's not going to happen.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by virraszto]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Ha!
I wasn't sure I could really remember what they looked like so I googled some images up...
Well, they are freakishly spooky looking

I never would have thought about it before, but they are indeed disturbing to look at.
I'm rather surprised

I actually got a weird, sideways look from my wife when I started spontaneously laughing at my screen.
Yes, they are spooky looking little thingies, for sure.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Here's another vote for the Uncanny Valley effect:

en.wikipedia.org...

Mori's hypothesis states that as a robot is made more humanlike in its appearance and motion, the emotional response from a human being to the robot will become increasingly positive and empathic, until a point is reached beyond which the response quickly becomes that of strong repulsion. However, as the appearance and motion continue to become less distinguishable from a human being, the emotional response becomes positive once more and approaches human-to-human empathy levels.[2]

This area of repulsive response aroused by a robot with appearance and motion between a "barely-human" and "fully human" entity is called the uncanny valley. The name captures the idea that a robot which is "almost human" will seem overly "strange" to a human being and thus will fail to evoke the empathetic response required for productive human-robot interaction.[2]

of course, this applies to the China Dolls. I can't say I'm afraid of them, but I certainly recall staying with a relative when I was younger, and I slept in a room FULL of these dolls. Let's just say it was awkward waking up to hundreds of little eyes on emotionless faces staring at you.

new topics

top topics

join