It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheney Wags Finger At A Defiant Russia

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   

www.cbsnews.com

(CBS/AP) U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney assured Azerbaijan on Wednesday of America's "abiding interest" in the region's stability. It was the first stop on a tour of three ex-Soviet republics that are wary of Russia's intentions after its war with Georgia last month.

Russia was watching the trip with suspicion, and a top Russian security official accused Cheney of an ulterior motive: seeking to secure energy supplies in the South Caucasus in exchange for U.S. support.

Cheney met with U.S. Embassy officials and international oil executives before going to Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliev's residence on the Caspian Sea.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Way to go Dick!

Provoke the Russians, lets have WWIII happen while you and your Puppet are still in office!

It is all about oil... Whichever superpower can claim dominance over the majority of the world's energy supplies will truly rule the world.

www.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I hope that Russia deploys nuclear and biological weapons in Cuba and Venezuala , to protect them from the fascist genocidal american Govt

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Russia has no military interest in Azerbaijan.
Like I've said so many times before, the reason they went into Georgia, was because Georgia was shelling South Ossetia.

This is just an attempt to make people think Russia plans on attacking other countries. The three countries in question aren't going to be attacked by Russia, unless they do something as disgusting as Georgia.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Meanwhile, in Russia, Dmitri Medvedev and Vladimir Putin extend their hands outward and raise the middle finger in 'Salute' to Cheney's awesomeness.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

Perhaps, however it is possible that all of these things could be leading up to a fight for dominance over Middle Eastern and Caspian Sea basin oil and natural gas resources. Is it really is all about oil and energy? The nation which can attain this dominance will truly be the supreme world superpower.

It seems as though the closer the US presidential election gets the more urgent these issues have and will become.

[edit on 3-9-2008 by The_Alarmist2012]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Meanwhile, in Russia, Dmitri Medvedev and Vladimir Putin extend their hands outward and raise the middle finger in 'Salute' to Cheney's awesomeness.

Haha nice

They've been doing that for a few weeks now though, where have you been?

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Cheyney who?

Oh yeah that right wing, child murdering, war-mongering, oil obsessed psychopath responsible for America's downfall.

What a jerk.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
It's really quite clear what is going on here when you look at it.

Cheney said the principle of territorial integrity was endangered today, noting that they were meeting "in the shadow of the Russian invasion of Georgia."

He added that U.S. President George W. Bush had sent him with a clear message that the United States had a "deep and abiding interest" in the stability and security of countries in the region.

That is from the original article in the OP.

He met with oil executives before going to meet with the Azerbaijani President... The United States has a "deep and abiding interest" in the stability and security of countries in the region?

Better get that Polish missile defense shield operational soon Dick!

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by manson_322
I hope that Russia deploys nuclear and biological weapons in Cuba and Venezuala , to protect them from the fascist genocidal american Govt

Where do you come up with this malarky? The U.S. did not even sell Georgia Stingers or advanced anti-tank weapons to keep Russia happy and they still attacked Georgia.

I have seen more than enough proof that Russia had this war planned months ahead of time. Georgia did not start this, The Russian backed SO terrorist did by shelling Georgian villages with mortars starting days before to get Georgia to hit back giving Russia an excuse to invade them.

Georgia responded in defence of its country and SO is thier territory. Russia started the last conflict in this area and that is fact, Its also fact that they killed thousands and should have been brought up on war crimes then let alone now that they have tourched all the villages near SO. Georgians are also being found secretly burried in their homes or back yards so there is no sat pics of any mass graves.

Lug

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Alarmist2012

From the link in the OP

Cheney met with U.S. Embassy officials and international oil executives before going to Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliev's residence on the Caspian Sea.

Oil men, huh? What else is new? Cheney on a trip to that troublesome part of the world gives me a warm fuzzy all over, how about you? So, what's REALLY behind this tour?

Well, we're never going to get the truth to anything unless we look at what the opposition (enemy?) has to say about it;

MOSCOW. (RIA Novosti political commentator Andrei Fedyashin) - U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney started a Caucasian-Ukrainian tour yesterday. His challenging task is to promise weapons to Georgia and NATO membership to Ukraine, and to convince Azerbaijan to accept the Nabucco pipeline project.

en.rian.ru...

The Nabucco pipeline project, huh? Whazzat?

www.nabucco-pipeline.com...
www.nabucco-pipeline.com...

Well, I didn't expect it to carry Kool-aid.

In 1997, Cheney teamed up with Donald Rumsfeld, William Kristol and others to establish the Project for the New American Century, a neoconservative U.S. think tank whose self-stated goal is to "promote American global leadership." The project's ideas have been implanted in all the foreign policy programs of the Bush Administration.

Oh, yes. PNAC. Keep forgetting about that little idea.

Oil, guns and ambassador Dick on a mission from (...).

Woot

[edit on 3-9-2008 by Lug]

[edit on 3-9-2008 by Lug]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Lug

Exactly, I wonder how long these oil executives have been involved in US international affairs and foreign policy?

Great post Lug.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Lug

So where is the source of the oil, IRAN? So if Iran decides to push with the nuclear powerplants (with the help of Russia), so it doesn't rely on oil, Then shuts off the supply of oil to Europe, Russia gets to sell their oil instead and Iran gets the backing of Rusia in return?

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Lug

Yes, I think there may be a slight disagreement here.

Rebuilding Americas Defenses
(PNAC)

Medvedev outlines five main points of future foreign policy

"A uni-polar world is unacceptable," said Medvedev, adding that Russia could "not accept a world order where all decisions are made by one side, even such a powerful one as the U.S."

(RIA Novosti)

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Thursday, September 04, 2008

Cheney Promotes Pipelines in Baku

Aliyev welcoming Cheney to energy talks at his
summer presidential palace in Baku, Azerbaijan, on Wednesday.

BAKU, Azerbaijan -- U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney said Wednesday that the United States would work with countries in the Caucasus to develop additional routes for energy exports to promote energy security, which is becoming an "increasingly urgent" issue.

"We both seek greater stability and security and cooperation in this vital region of the world," Cheney told reporters in Baku after a meeting with President Ilham Aliyev at the presidential summer palace.

Cheney was in Baku on the first leg of a tour that will include Georgia and Ukraine. Azerbaijan and Georgia are links in the chain of a Western-backed energy corridor bypassing Russia that the West fears could be in jeopardy after the Kremlin sent its troops deep into Georgia during the brief war last month.

Cheney also met representatives of BP and Chevron, two oil majors involved in a pipeline that pumps up to 1 million barrels of crude a day -- or about 1 percent of world output -- to world markets from Azerbaijan and through Georgia.

The oil company executives "gave their assessments of the energy situation in Azerbaijan and the broader Caspian region -- especially in light of Russia's recent military actions in Georgia," said Megan Mitchell, a spokeswoman for Cheney.

At the presidential palace, Cheney said the United States had a deep interest in the well-being of its allies in the region. "We've met this evening in the shadow of the recent Russian invasion of Georgia," he said. "President Bush has sent me here with a clear and simple message for the people of Azerbaijan and the entire region: The United States has a deep and abiding interest in your well-being and security."

In Moscow, the Foreign Ministry said it was reserving comment on Cheney's trip until it saw what he did in Georgia.

"We need to wait until Mr. Cheney is actually in Georgia to see how he assesses the situation," ministry spokesman Andrei Nesterenko said at a news briefing.

The United States has condemned Russia for sending troops and tanks into Georgia, but Moscow has countered by saying Washington helped spark the conflict by failing to rein in its ally Georgia.

(The Moscow Times)

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lug

Oh, yes. PNAC. Keep forgetting about that little idea.

Oh yes. And wouldn't you just know it, their website is no longer accessible. Word is they didn't keep their fees current, however, there might be some who would view that as getting rid of evidence.

There are those who will tell you that PNAC became defunct in 2005. How would that be possible when some of their charter members STILL have such an impact on/in the U.S. government?

They just stepped behind the 'curtain'.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   

I am so sick of your constant bashing of America throughout all your posts, and I am by no means a fan myself but we get the idea already. I have no idea how others have been so reasoned in their replies with all the crap that is posted by yourself.

[edit on 3-9-2008 by ghaleon12]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Azerbaijan is a whole other story from Georgia. The Aliyevs run the country pretty much as a dictatorship in disguise - and there will be no color revolutions there. Azeri President Aliyev has so far treaded on the middle ground - between U.S. and Russia - keeping good relations with both yet keeping his distance from both.

That he is meeting with Dick means relatively little, as he also met with Russian delegations many times recently. I would say he is still neutral, for now. That could all change very fast if U.S. attacks Iran (Azerbaijan has its own differences with iran), or war breaks out in Nagorno Karabakh (separatist region with Armenian majority).

Unlike Saakashvilli who is a U.S. puppet, Aliyev has no master - the buck stops with him in Azerbaijan. It appears that U.S. has been trying to break him in in recent years, but he doesn't budge. Also know that Aliyevs come from a line of Communist/KGb leaders somewhat loyal to their idealogy.

So keep in mind that the speeches that Dick makes, are designed to bait Aliyev to ally with the U.S. This is not very likely to happen, because Aliyev himself has reason to fear the U.S. and possible U.S.-sponsored color revolutions against him (as in Georgia against Shevarnadze). U.S. should be content that he lets them pump oil through the pipeline. Military alliance at this point is out of question.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by manson_322

Well, the truth is they need to do something.

The world's most infamous war criminal is travelling abroad.

That's never good news.

Originally posted by ghaleon12
I am so sick of your constant bashing of America throughout all your posts, and I am by no means a fan myself but we get the idea already.

No, "we" don't get the idea. What he says is very just. The US Government are extremely evil people, probably worse than Hitler ever was. But people are so dumbed down they don't understand that.

Personally, I'm sick of people labelling the US Government as the "good guys".

[edit on 4/9/08 by NuclearPaul]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher

Where do you come up with this malarky? The U.S. did not even sell Georgia Stingers or advanced anti-tank weapons to keep Russia happy and they still attacked Georgia.

I have seen more than enough proof that Russia had this war planned months ahead of time. Georgia did not start this, The Russian backed SO terrorist did by shelling Georgian villages with mortars starting days before to get Georgia to hit back giving Russia an excuse to invade them.

Georgia responded in defence of its country and SO is thier territory. Russia started the last conflict in this area and that is fact, Its also fact that they killed thousands and should have been brought up on war crimes then let alone now that they have tourched all the villages near SO. Georgians are also being found secretly burried in their homes or back yards so there is no sat pics of any mass graves.

BS as usual from you ....

I am waiting for proof for the nonsense you spout , and yes stop watching fox news ,ypu watch too much of it

[edit on 4-9-2008 by manson_322]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join