It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palin and Corruption Scandal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
How does this jive with the reformer image that the McCain camp is portraying of Sarah Palin?

The same oil men that bribed indicted Senator Stephens also paid Sarah Palin!

ap.google.com...

Campaign money hurts Palin's outsider image
By MATT APUZZO – 14 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — GOP vice presidential pick Sarah Palin accepted at least $4,500 in campaign contributions in the same fundraising scheme at the center of a public corruption scandal that led to the indictment of Sen. Ted Stevens.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 3/9/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

The contributions, made during Palin's failed 2002 bid to become Alaska's lieutenant governor, were not illegal for her to accept

Now maybe it weakens her a little on the whole 'reformer' angle, but not much. Its not illegal, and $4,500 is peanuts in national politics.

[edit on 3-9-2008 by vor78]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by vor78

The contributions, made during Palin's failed 2002 bid to become Alaska's lieutenant governor, were not illegal for her to accept

Now maybe it weakens her a little on the whole 'reformer' angle, but not much. Its not illegal, and $4,500 is peanuts in national politics.

[edit on 3-9-2008 by vor78]

Maybe $4,500 is "peanuts" in "National" Politics, but not in "state level" politics when she took the money and the executives at VECO Corp thought it sufficient or they wouldn't have paid her.

How much money does someone have to take in exchange for favors and influence before it is considered corrupt?

From Article...
Company founder Bill Allen has admitted the company steers its donations through a "special bonus program" in which executives received money and the company instructed them to donate it to favored politicians.

Allen pleaded guilty to bribery and corruption charges. He admitted the program violated federal tax laws and said it was used to keep his political allies flush with cash.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   

How much money does someone have to take in exchange for favors and influence before it is considered corrupt?

That is a very legit question and deserves to be answered.

Let's see if we can't get McCain and Obama to answer that question since they are the ones who are raking in money by the tens of millions per month.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

That is a very legit question and deserves to be answered.

Let's see if we can't get McCain and Obama to answer that question since they are the ones who are raking in money by the tens of millions per month.

Well as far as McCain I think I can amswer that question..

Oil Industry Floods McCain With Cash After Offshore Drilling Reversal
ezinearticles.com...
"McCain delivered the speech before heading to Texas for a series of fundraisers with energy industry executives, and the day after the speech he raised $1.3 million at a private luncheon and reception at the San Antonio Country Club".

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   

And here is my answer for Obama

Lawyers/Law Firms $21,746,468

source

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Im an independent for Obama. I think we need to give Palin some time to defend herself before we BBQ her. I dont agree with much of her politics but I also dont agree with roasting her quite yet. Besides, any woman that hunts and fishes cant be all bad.......

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

And here is my answer for Obama

Lawyers/Law Firms $21,746,468

source

SO? What does that have to do with McCain and Palin taking money from Oil companies under what at best can be described as suspect conditions?
The CEO who paid Sarah Palin has been indicted and admitted paying bribes.
McCain's second largest contributor is Lawyers and Law firms according to the same source you posted? I don't get what you are saying.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Corruption runs through both parties. And both parties are sometimes associated with the wrong crowd. Does Rezko ring a bell? Just cause they are associated with them should we hold the candidate liable.

new topics

top topics

join