It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange dog behaviour

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
This happened to me a few years ago. I was living in a residential neighbourhood with a lot of houses with backyards, gardens, etc. so there were a lot of dogs.

There was this one evening, when all of the sudden some dogs (I presume like 4-5) started barking really loud. Each one from a different location.
Then, EVERY dog seemed to bark with them for some time, like 15 minutes.
Then, all stopped barking at the same time. I have a dog, and he's very quiet, never barks but at this time he did it as well.

The strange thing is that the next day at the same time (around 8 PM) they started again, but this time every dog started at the same time. It was incredible, dozens of them barking together!
And the next evening it happened again, and again... for like 6 months or so. Nobody knew why it did happen. Then one night, they didn't do it anymore. And never again.

What could this be? I don't want to tell this because I don't want this to go to the wrong direction but, here it goes: some time before this happened, an old man (in his 90ties) was murdered in my block, poisoned by his own nephew. So like 2 months after that, the barking started. And that's the only remarkable thing I can think of right now.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   
That happens all the time, everywhere where there are a lot of dogs in residential neighborhoods. They can hear many things that you can not, and often respond to the barks of other dogs, it would seem.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I have to agree, they can hear sounds in frequencies that humans don't pick up. One possibility.

Have you done any research into Rupert Sheldrake? He's a biologist who has done much research into the psi abilities of animals.

Do a search on Youtube. It will bring up all different videos of him speaking. Might be informative for you.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Canines, both of the wild or domestic, are blessed with senses that are far beyond those of what we have. We as humans are blessed that the latter have allowed us to benefit from their acceptance of us and they from our many needs that they so willfully perform for our acceptance and care. The barking and howling in unison is a trait that is a carryover from before the wolf, dog genetic split. Where I live there are a lot of coyotes, when they start up and my dog simultaneously join in, I find a sort of primal joy in the sound and seeing the return to ages passed in my dog's behavior. I noticed a big increase in the occurrence during this past winter and sleeping became a major problem that I am hoping isn't to be again this winter. All considered, it isn't a bad thing.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
My dog hates thunderstorms and fireworks for that matter. Now that we have set his cage back up he will most of the time go in it until the storm passes. But on 3 occasions 2 prior to having cage and one with door to bedroom shut he has taken off and gotten in the tub seconds before a nearby lightening strike. The first hit a tree about 60 feet from house actually digging a trench in the yard. The second hit an antenna in woods about 100 feet from the house. The third time it hit nearby power lines.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Thank you all for the replies! I know that they can sense things humans cannot, and I guess that all of them barking at the same time is something instinctive, but the strange thing was that it started one precise night, every dog did it exactly at the same time the next day, and lasted for months. Then, they just stopped doing it just as sudden as they started it.
And there were really many of them. Like 40 I guess.

It never happened to me before, and I went many times to the country where a lot of dogs do the same thing, but never as many as this one, nor it's exactitude on hours and the fact that all of them started at the same time, it wasn't like one of them started and the others followed.

new topics

top topics

join