It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for some sensible advice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
OK going through a divorce so am currently renting a 1 bed flat with no outside space and no storage. Cant really afford anything else, so how does this leave me able to stockpile any supplies or set up any alternative energy resources.

I live in the UK, south coast so prices to buy are exorbitant. How much can you do without owning your own property or at least have access to some garden.

Another thought occurs - as most people live in cities and the majority of housing is flats these days most people simply do not have the option of preparing do they?

i have loads of stuff at the old family home so my ex and the kids should be OK as i have nowhere else to store them.

Even some useful URL's would be something in the short term - obviously if i have any money left after divorce goes through i will be buying a caravan/trailer and as much land as i can, which will make everything easier but in case i cant would like some helpful advice or pointers to more useful sites.

cheers

P.S.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by johnb

Dude I'd be more concerned about what the CSA are going to do with you than the NWO.

So how come you chose to leave the family home?

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Dont worry your not alone
I cannot afford to stock up on anything either .
I can barely afford to buy something to eat for today even lol.
I do what I can and thats all I can do,if something happens then I guess I will just try to have faith that I will either make it through it or die trying.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Dude there are plenty of sheep where I live you can come here and eat them with me, also watch programmes like "Bush tucker man " also make a note of where your local christians live, they are going to be saved so wo'nt need their food.

Go to chinese cooking websites, they will eat almost anything that has at one time been alive.

Watch the movie "The Golden Child" the little kid on there survived for weeks on a tea leaf and didnt lose any weight at all.

Make a mental note of where obese people hang out, most of them claim they need to get rid of some lard, freeze the area with some ice cubes and slice off a chunk of fresh lardlady meat.

Grandmas allways have a tin of something special tucked away for when the vicar comes, go rob grannie it's gonna be dog eat dog out there, unless the chinese beat the dogs to the dogs of course

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnb
how does this leave me able to stockpile any supplies or set up any alternative energy resources.

I live in the UK, south coast so prices to buy are exorbitant. How much can you do without owning your own property or at least have access to some garden.

Heya...just thought i'd suggest a couple of ideas...hope they help

In terms of energy resources, you could look at collecting a few 12V deep-cycle or plain 12v vehicle batteries...if you have enough window-area you could use solar pv panels that could be put-up in the windows whilst away at work, or if you have a pushbike, couple to an 'indoor excercise rig' that could trickle-charge the batteries...

forget the idea of buying land, the prices are still too inflated, a far cheaper option would be to look at allotments...annual rents are cheap-as-chips and most allow you to build a 'temporary structure' that could make a very handy bolt-hole if all goes pear-shaped...not to mention the ability to grow your own produce, and the soil will be likely to be in good condition if its a well established plot that you take over

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
CSA not a problem I already pay what they would ask anyway - got to support my boys it's not their fault.

As to why - you dont really expect me to go into specifics do you
but lets just say I would have had a shorter and easier sentence for murder.

But lets keep the thread on topic!

i keep wondering about an allotment or a bit of a field but i don't feel either is really practicable in a survival situation - fine till then though.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by johnb

Hi there JohnB.
First of all welcome.

First of all, Im very close to your location, its nice to meet another one down south.

First of all, what are you preparing for ????
once you have answered this question ( there are many answers ), then you plan on what you need to do.

I have some plan's and I don't mind sharing them with you, but you will have to U2U me.

Colec156

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnb

As to why - you dont really expect me to go into specifics do you
but lets just say I would have had a shorter and easier sentence for murder.

But lets keep the thread on topic!

i keep wondering about an allotment or a bit of a field but i don't feel either is really practicable in a survival situation - fine till then though.

very true about the sentebce dude

Joking aside,

If things get so bad in the Uk that there's (for whatever) reason no food in tesco, it's highly unlikely the junkies and chavs are gonna leave your allottement alone.

If your planning ahead for a worst case senario, I would highly recommend some or all of the following.

Know exactly where your children are at all times or even better get them living with you.

Buy a gun or at least know where you can get one

buy a decent bow or crossbow and learn how to use it

get plenty of good quality camping equipment ( your home is where I would come if I my kids were starving to death , how many people would kill you to live?)

get or know how to get good quality mountain bikes

keep a stock of sports powders/gels vitamins etc

Learn how to get to the nearest wooded mountain tops without using the main roads.

learn where the nearest police stations and military bases are as they will need to be avoided.

learn how to purify river water (if at all possible)

remember at all times , if the country is starving and you have food, your dead when someone finds out.

watch the movie Red Dawn (to name but one) to become inspired as opposed to becoming afraid

And most of all remember, god is imaginary the only one who's gonna save your kids is you, look to history.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by johnb

Hiya mate,

First of all, sorry about the divorce, I can't imagine its very enjoyable.

Secondly, with regards to somewhere to storing your stockpiles, well I live in the UK and I know theres plenty of companies that offer lockable self storage containers for a set price per month and usually there pretty cheap. If I had no where else to put my stuff then these places would definately be one of them.

An even better idea, without needing somewhere to stockpile, learn how NOT to. What do I mean you may ask? Well learn how to live off the land, its a lot cheaper, more interesting and more beneficial in the long run, but still its good to have some kit/food stashed away.

Another good idea get yourself a good supply of some MRE's, you can buy them pretty cheap of plenty of sites and they'll last for a while. Get yourself one months supply and your sorted, also suggest building up a basic survival kit, it doesnt cost much but it would be invaluable in the event of SitX, but you also need to know how to use it!

Like I said, you don't nescessarily need to buy land, if you know how to live off the land, then any land is yours
! Good luck, hope this was some help.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Sorry to hear you're in hard times man.

Get yourself a set of crossbows, one large, another small plus ammo.
These are legal to own and carry away from populated areas
With these you can at least do some basic hunting for fish and small game.
They're also a brilliant home protection / defensive weapon if you're property is being assailed. These things are lethal and will even punch through body armour!

An allotment is wise for you can bury food here if you want to build up a catche.
Right now this might be a good idea.

new topics

top topics

join