It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thai government tries to shut down 400 websites

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Thai government tries to shut down 400 websites

www.guardian.co.uk

Thailand's Information and Communications Technology Ministry sought court orders yesterday to shut down about 400 websites and advised internet service providers to block 1,200 sites it considers a danger to national security or disturbing social order.

ICT minister Mun Patanotai said the department had advised ISPs to immediately block these websites...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Another finger pointing toward the "You Will Know Only What We Want You To Know." style of governmentation that is taking over the world, again.

Until recently, I thought censorship of access to knowledge went out with religion's domination of society. Looks like we're headed back to the Dark Ages (who said time travel was impossible?).

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   
More from the same article:

The Bangkok Post reported yesterday that the ministry claimed the sites "disturbed the peaceful social order and morality of the people, and/or which were considered detrimental to national security".

This move to shut down online dissent follows the Thai authorities' declaration of a state of emergency yesterday as thousands of demonstrators took to the streets to demand the government's resignation.

Thai prime minister, Samak Sundaravej, announced sweeping curbs to civil liberties to maintain calm, after which the ICT Ministry said it had detected more than 1,200 websites that violated the Computer Crime Act.

Are these protests symbolic of the feelings many people around the world now have toward their government?

When people in other countries, so called democratic nations, protest, will our governments treat us the same way? Are we already being treated the same for "preventative" reasons??
I wonder whether ATS ot BTS have been put on the Ban List?

[edit on 3/9/08 by Rapacity]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Its all starting now then int it i wonder if other countries will follow maybe ATS will be at risk

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Great. Why don't they burn some books while they're at it. Sheesh I thought humanity grew out of that phase.

new topics

top topics

join