Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

US Magazine - political bias, bigotry, or truth???

page: 1

join

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I'm not sure if this is MEDIA or ELECTION. So I went with election

I’m also not sure if I’m allowed to post images so I’ll provide the links.
If we are allowed to post the images, then would someone post them side by side? My computer skills aren’t that good.

LOOK AT THESE TWO MAGAZINE COVER IMAGES

Sara Palin Cover

Obama Cover

After I found those, I found Michelle Malkin who put them together on one page. Yes she’s right wing. But she’s bringing up something interesting.

US magazine – which is famous for diss’n Hillary Clinton and being more interested in Hillary’s fashion problems (in their opinion) then in Hillary’s policies – again pounces on the powerful political woman.

Is this left wing media bias?
Is this bias on the part of those that run the paper?
Is this anti-woman, or should I say, anti-POWERFUL-woman bigotry?
Is this just a magazine trying to sell papers?
Is this just a magazine telling the truth as they see it?

Putting the two images side by side shows an amazing difference.
They did a total hit job on Palin, and yet ignored the massive amount
of political baggage Obama has in an effort to make him all warm and
fuzzy.

When you toss in the focus US Magazine had on Hillary Clinton
(her allegedly bad wardrobe) I'm wondering if they are
anti-powerful-woman. I admit I don't read this magazine so
I may be off. But that's what I'm seeing at the moment.

Edited to fix link

[edit on 9/3/2008 by FlyersFan]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   
My mom buys US, Star, and all the other stupid magazines to read up on the latest celebrity gossip. And yes they are doing this to sale more magazines, I've seen more than enough of the magazines claiming they know something on the covers and then when you actually open it up and read what they are talking about they are just as clueless as you are, just a bunch of gossip.

I thought no one took these magazines seriously anyways.
If they do have an agenda it probably won't work, none of these magazines have much crediblity at all, but of course their will be people out their that believe every word they read in their weekly gossip magazine.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Its yet another glaring example of how liberals could care less about bias and sexism, as long as its being done to push forward their agenda. They don't care about woman breaking the glass ceiling, unless its a liberal woman. They don't care about bad reporting and sexism, as long as its a Republican its happening to.

Its a sad day for journalism and democratic elections in the US. The democrats control the flow of information and I have a feeling once they get power, they wont be letting go.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Us Weekly is basically a celebrity tabloid. Jann Wenner, who owns a 100% share of the magazine, is a known Obama supporter. I would not get too concerned about what's written there.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Fox News has now picked up the story. I wonder if any of the others will expose US magazine. I'm sure MSNBC won't.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
For what it's worth. Sean Hannity has been on a rampage (I know odd huh?) concerning the MSM.

He'll tell anyone who will listen that "2008 will be looked back upon as the year the MSM died." I paraphrase somewhat but you get the drift.

The more this heats up the more he may be on to something. Personally, I think the reaction from the MSM post election (assuming a McCain/Palin victory) will be the ultimate measuring stick for what is now known as MSM. If there is some sort of nuclear fallout by the MSM, ole' Sean may have called it.

Becker

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Becker44

You got it.

The level of "reporting" by the MSM this past year has been shameful. I don't know how anyone out there can take them seriously anymore. As far as I'm concerned, they have lost the last bit of credibility they had left.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I saw that on FOXNews. Now the Nat'l Enq is smearing her.

It's going to backfire on them. Sarah is scheduled to speak tonight at the RNC.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Ha, weel it looks like the magazine has taken a BIG-G-G-G HIT as a result of publishing this issue.
Got a hit them where it hurts.

It looks like change is indeed coming, to the MSM that is.

Angry readers dump Us Magazine over Palin

ST. PAUL, Minn. - Three celebrity weeklies — OK!, People and Us Weekly — featured Sarah Palin on their cover, but one of those magazines is reportedly losing subscribers because of it.

Us Weekly, which unlike People and OK!, chose a rather caustic cover line (“Babies, Lies and Scandal”) is said to have lost thousands of subscribers in just the first 24 hours following the printing of the issue.

“I’m hearing it’s 5,000, maybe more,” says one well-placed source in the industry. Another source claimed that as many as 10,000 readers have already cancelled their subscriptions.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I wonder if any of the others will expose US magazine. I'm sure MSNBC won't.

Um:

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Cancelling your subscription to these rags is a good idea. But much more effective is to write their advertisers, and threaten to boycott. That works in all medium, TV, radio, and print.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

From what I understand people have been calling them directly.
OUCH, that's really gonna hurt!

Something I heard is that they've had to resort to changing the cover, not sure though.

new topics

top topics

join