It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I WAS THERE: The protest march on the RNC in Saint Paul 9-2-08: FULL REPORT

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
RATMs determination is inspiring. I wish I could've been there and also at the L.A. riots outside of the DNC in 2000. I love RATM, nice to see them back together.

[edit on 3-9-2008 by bubble boy]

[edit on 4-9-2008 by bubble boy]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Duh! The reason that Democrat events don't need riot police is that those who oppose Democrats do so without rioting and causing trouble. I am a young republican and support your right to disagree with me. But you on the left are such hate mongers that you hate true civil dialog. I support your right to free speech, and may respect you as a person even though I think you are wrong.

So many left wing democrats are exactly the opposite. I fly a flag; it's ripped down by some left wing America hater. I bought and posted signs supporting my Republican candidates; they're vandalized. Democrats pretend to be a party of tolerance, but in reality they will not tolerate anyone elses opinion. No, in fact they HATE those whose opinion is contrary to their own.

It's a sham. A party of zombies who spout the party line regardless of it's empty rhetoric.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
AllseeingI - I like how you derailed, or as it's said in other forums, Hi-jacked my thread to make it your own. You must be one of the protestors involved

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
The police state is officially here.. this is only the beginning. If the economy collapses expect major riots and more excuses for the NWO to get more power.. be prepared

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I think everyone here is looking at this all wrong. The protesters were gathered to watch a concert with .. Rage against the machine, Anit-flag and dead presidents.

ok we got ragining anarchist punk bands that like to mosh, and kick each other with docs and laugh at getting bloody.

these are not acoustic guitar playing war protesting bands like the james taylor, mellencamp, and others.

Just look up the background of RatM and you will see why they prepared with cops for back up, RatM are instigators.

look what they did at the DNC 2000 ( yes democratic convention)

During the concert, de la Rocha said to the crowd, "brothers and sisters, our democracy has been hijacked,"[58] and later also shouted "we have a right to oppose these mother#ers!"[60] After the performance, a small group of attendees congregated at the point in the protest area closest to the DNC, facing the police officers, throwing rocks,[61] and possibly engaging in more violent activity, such as throwing glass, concrete and water bottles filled with "noxious agents,"[62] spraying ammonia on police and slingshotting rocks and steel balls.[63] The police soon after declared the gathering an unlawful assembly,[60] shut off the electrical supply, interrupting performing band Ozomatli,[61] and informed the protestors that they had 15 minutes to disperse on pain of arrest.[64] Some of the protestors remained, however, including two young men who climbed the fence and waved black flags, who were subsequently shot in the face with pepper spray.[63] Police then forcibly dispersed the crowd, using tear gas, pepper spray and rubber bullets.[63] At least six people were arrested in the incident.[64]

wikipedia

does anyone notice a pattern here? people throwing glass and rocks and fill water bottles with noxious agents.

Hmm, maybe RatM are goverment pawns, hired by the man! want more proof of this passive, flower picking, anti war groups little doves it takes under its wing?
How about this little tidbit

Morello described the EZLN as "a guerrilla army who represent the poor indigenous communities in southern Mexico who, for hundreds of years, have been trodden upon and sort of cast aside and which really are the lowest form on the economic -social ladder in Mexico. In 1994, on New Years Day, there was an uprising there and they were led by the very charismatic Subcomandante Marcos and it's a group which is tremendously supportive of the most objectively poor and continues to fight for dignity, for all people in Mexico."[49] An interviewer was once told by de la Rocha, "Our purpose in sympathising with the Zapatistas is to help spark [real] dialogue."[42]

EZLN
how about this:

Other activism The band are advocates for the release of former Black Panther and Death Row inmate Mumia Abu-Jamal, who was convicted of murdering a police officer, and for whom they wrote and recorded the track "Voice of the Voiceless" for their 1999 album The Battle of Los Angeles. The band performed at a benefit concert with all proceeds donated to the International Concerned Family And Friends Of Mumia Abu-Jamal, and de la Rocha spoke before the United Nations Commission on Human Rights in support of Abu-Jamal.[68] The band also raised funds and awareness for political activist and convicted double-murderer Leonard Peltier, and documented his case in the video for "Freedom".

maybe RatM got people riled up at the RNC with this stunt and people were ready to rage :

2008 Republican National Convention On Sept. 2nd, 2008, Rage Against the Machine was unofficially scheduled to play a free show - Open to all - in St. Paul, Minnesota on the State Capital lawn for Ripple Effect. They announced at 5:30PM that they were to play, but didn't arrive until 6:40PM. As the permit for

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   
One thing I would like to know is... How can there be such a thing as an "unlawful assembly" in america? I thought you guys had the constitutional right to assemble?

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Yazman

........now you know the situation we deeply steeped in.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Komodo
reply to post by Yazman

........now you know the situation we deeply steeped in.

You left wingers will blame the Right wing and current administration for any goddamn problem you can think of, even the actions of some of your people protesting at the RNC. (Of couuurse they are hired by the government:lol
If I didn't know any better I'd say half of the people who post on ATS must snort their fair share of the coc aine supply because they're paranoid as ****.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
Okay, first, tell me why I should feel sorry for you or any of the other protesters again?

Here's another tip for you, genius, real change is said and done with your votes, not with a mass riot.

I never asked anyone to feel sorry for me or fellow protesters. I only came here to tell people what I saw, and my opinion about what I saw. Take it as you will.

Genius? No but my IQ is above average and well enough to recognize your sarcastic attempt at humor.
I do vote every chance I get.
Most of the people in the March are registered voters Im sure. There were people going around signing up people to vote if they were not registered.

Also I cant speak for everyone marching, but I believe voting means nothing when it really comes down to it. They can AND have used shenanigans like rigged voting machines, BS election rules and loopholes to change the vote numbers JUST enough to make it swing as desired. Look at Florida 2000 or Michigan 2004. Where will the fraud be in 2008?

Originally posted by Komodo
You quoted this...

The shear size of this 4-day army of enforcers required agencies from across MN and the USA to recruit volunteers . VOLUNTEERS!? No I dont mean these are unpaid volunteers. I mean these are paid mercenaries who WANT to put down protesters!

Here's my question, how do you know they were volunteers?

I read in the news that the law enforcers from the Twin Cities are all regulars: such as the bike cops, horse cops, and regular uniformed officers. But any “imported” Law enforcement, which seems to be mostly the Storm Trooper riot cops have volunteered to meet their department’s quota for this “Special National Security Event” as required by the Department of Homeland Security.

Originally posted by WuTang
Just a few little things:

Originally posted by AllseeingI
A short time ago Barack Obama held a rally at the very SAME venue: the Excel Center.

That wasn't St. Paul, it was at the football stadium in Denver. Either you weren't at both to compare them, or you got your cities REALLY confused there.

You were where?

I am going to go out on a limb and say that you using a lot of hyperboles to describe the situation. You are comparing it to a similar event (DNC) which you claim to have attended, even though you can't remember what city it was in... (unless you mean that Obama had a campaign stop in St. Paul when Hilary dropped out, but that still would not be his official acceptance speech).
I don't trust this op-ed piece one bit, but those are just my 2 cents

Not confused. Obama’s rally did take place at the Excel Energy Center on June 3rd 2008 to announce that he had won the nomination beating Clinton to the delegate count required for nomination. I was not talking about the DNC in Denver.

McCain’s rebuttal to Obama’s June 3rd announcement of his nomination. And comparison between the two speeches.
Here is a video which shows the Excel Energy Center packed house for Obama’s rally.

Originally posted by SevenThunders
Could the OP please explain the violent actions of the protestors including throwing bleach and other chemicals on some of the delegates? Do you support such violence?

No I do not support such violence. I believe these would be a few of the bad-apples I have been talking about.

Originally posted by Hyram
You went out made a big meeting soley for the purpose of instigating a situation where you could claim police brutality. You went for that and got that. Good thread, shows what you are all about.

Besides which poor are we talking about? Is it the poor in Africa? The U
S gives more than any other country. The lazy ass poor here that don't work and complain about not getting enough from the government? Probably more likely. Do you work?

I went to protest because I wanted the RNC to know that I disagree with their policies and leaders and methods enough to show up and yell at them with thousands of others who share my views! We were marching and chanting to help the poor and end the war. ALL POOR. All over the world. As long as one mouth is hungry we should spend no money on wars or military.

YES I work. But I am not a wage slave like most of the USA. I spend the necessary amount of time paying attention to all the lies and deceit which most folks cant afford the time to do. I call this The Great Conspiracy of Time Money and the Pursuit of Happiness

Originally posted by mwood
It's amazing that you just happened to be in the middle of every big happening at the "protest".
In the middle of this whole group of thousands of people, you seemed to witness everything that happened and with such clarity......
Please tell me how you did it.....please......

I am sure I missed a ton. I showed up to the concert. Kept my eyes moving mostly monitoring the Riot Cops’ activities like seeing if they were gearing up or moving. I did not want to be arrested so I kept my head on a swivel and make sure I didn’t get trapped and surrounded by riot cops as has happened during these events.

When the march began I stayed on the edge of the march group. This was also where all the media was. This allowed me to move freely to the front or rear of the march. I was able to gain great vantage points by staying on the move. Also I am tall enough to see over most people. Other than that, I think most people who attended the concert and march would include most the same facts.

I would also like to respond to the number of people who claim that wearing a bandana to cover the face is a sure sign of criminal intent.

I would love to see a Judge or Jury prove that.
From what I gathered the reasons people were wearing masks was:
to aid against pepper spray and tear gas.

In my opinion... if the cops get masks... so should we.

[edit on (9/4/08) by AllSeeingI]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to Hello AllSeeing
It must have been exciting being involved in this event, However, if you feel compelled to report on this happening, try to be more objective and don't get caught up in your own personal agenda. I would have enjoyed your post more if you weren't so overtly liberal. At the end of the day no one will remember this small gathering and it's intentions. I think the troublemaker might have been an imagined tool to further your grand illusion that this was some kind of cultural turning point. Try to keep things in perspective. I think that if there was an attempt to start trouble, it would have happened.

Peace out

bevo77
post by AllSeeingI

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Ok so the crazy people that insight anger and force want a democrat. And during the DNC no such threatening crowds emerged and this is why we need a dem in the office? And which is the civilized party? The Dems have been hijacked by extreme liberalism. Crazy people just want to go against the mold not even understanding what your supporting.

It's ironic that people like this are typically people that are against big brother yet are pushing for a big brother party to take the white house. The liberal democratic party have been pretty vocal about bigger govt and more control over just about everything. You weirdos need to wake up and see the bigger picture.

We will be emersed in war regardless of who wins, the key thing here is how much weaker we will be if BO does some of the things he has mentioned. Screw that.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:09 AM
link   
September 3rd, 2008 RNC protest related events UPDATE

Rage Against The Machine Concert at the Target Center in downtown Minneapolis. 5 miles from Saint Paul where the RNC is being held.

I was able to obtain a floor ticket to the Show off of craigslist DAY OF at face value! I LOVE craiglist!

I took the lightrail train downtown and immediately saw more cops than I have ever seen. On the rail platforms and all up and down 1st avenue (which is full of the hot clubs, bars, and theater. The most happening area of the Twin Cities) were lined with different types of law enforcement. TSA, horse cops, Metro Transit cops, and regular MPD.

It is important to note that there were no riot cops on sight before the concert.

As I mingled outside waiting in line for entry I overheard countless stories about people being arrested, gassed and sprayed, the types of criminal charges people were given, etc.

I also noticed more than a few people who still had irritated red faces and eyes from the previous day’s protest.

One story I heard retold by many different people so I believe it to be fact is:
That during the march on Sept 2nd when the police used teargas and flashbangs outside Mickey’s Diner police cut off the only retreat route with more gas and pepperspray. I believe this incident is documented in this video originally posted earlier in this thread by DJ messiah.

The concert was sold out. The floor filled quickly. Anti-Flag opened. Rage Against the Machine followed. They rocked out with all their best hits! The came out in Guantanamo prisoner style orange jumpsuits with black hoods. They played one song like that. And the rest dressed casually.

At the end they made a plea that the protesters be restrained and not burst out onto the streets in uprising.

When we exited the arena we all noticed that riot cops now lined the streets. The horse-cop’s horses had their masks on too!

During my ride home on the lightrail train I got news from a friend of mine who works security at a building downtown. At his station they have a police scanner and he told me that teargas was being used in downtown Minneapolis at 7th and Hennipen ave. (This is in the heart of the entertainment district a few blocks from the Target Center.
This is in Minneapolis, a different city from the RNC convention all together!

The Star Tribune has a number of related articles including one about the Rage concert and the 70 arrests made afterward. Also an article about tomorrows march on the RNC. However I am unable to correctly link these news pages because the Star Tribune uses some crazy webpage addresses which dont jive with our ATS system. If the mods could offer any advice on this it would be appreciated.

Tomorrow I will march on the RNC starting at the Minnesota State Capital in Saint Paul at 3pm. From that rally we will take hopefully the biggest group of marchers yet on a march on the RNC at the Excel Energy Center. I will be bringing a video camera and will work to get those videos up on here along with my FULL PROTEST REPORT for Sept. 4th FINAL DAY OF THE RNC.

If anyone reading this has opportunity and desire to join the march I encourage you to do so. There is nothing to fear. 99% of marchers get out without a scratch or an arrest. You have a bigger chance of having an auto accident on the way to the event.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by AllSeeingI

Well next time your going to a peaceful assembly To express your views in a system you say doesn't work, Be smart go to your local military store and buy a gas mask bandanas don't work for anything other than to hide ones identity. Ive seen the people marching at the democratic convention and the republican convention and i guess the days of peaceful marches are over. A friend of mine in Denver had his car torched while he was working near the convention to support his wife and 2 kids. So instead of protesting politicians do us hard working Americans a favor Wright your government officials organize the people to make sure they vote. Help whatever political party you affiliate yourself with by voluntering your time And make your vote count. God i hope the democrats and republicans will understand the country there creating and wise up. Im going to end it right her before i start getting insultingAt how stupid Americans can be!

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:36 AM
link   
A Saint Paul citizen is arrested for picking up a stick looking at it and putting it back down....

As Unlawful Arrests Continue, St. Paul Feels Like a City Under Siege for Some Residents
"“No, they didn’t read me my Miranda rights at all. … They cuffed me, and when I complained to one one guy about the cuffs being too tight, he was like, ‘Oh yeah? Well, let me tighten that up for you.’”

"You probably shouldn’t go outside, because if the same cops see you they’re not gonna be happy.’”

The stories coming out of this speak for themselves. The cops are outta line!

Here is another great video shoing a series of clips from Sept. 2nd events ending with the use of flashbangs and teargas outside Mickey's diner.
Tear Gas Used on RNC Protesters

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Great story, Allseeing, and thanks to report it here!

Obama's still a politician, and surely not a radical, but I believe he's still the man of the people, and he has a vision America, unlike these "GOP" bandits who have so little popular support that they needed to set up a Police State to stay in power.

Forget about Ron Paul however. No matter how right he is, they'll never allow a radical like him to sit in office. If there is an electoral hope for this country to get better and americans regain some of their wealth and liberties, Obama is the only one. Fortunately there is a justice, even after long periods of infamy and... well, Terror.

This country's become f--- up by this secret circle of fascist war criminals called the neocons, but hopefully some things still can be fixed.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:11 AM
link   

At the end they made a plea that the protesters be restrained and not burst out onto the streets in uprising.

Still, I don't understand why RATM told this to the crowds... Did they had an agreement with authorities, allowing them to play, under the condition to not incite people to riot? To be continued...

A riot would have been exactly what's needed for bringing down the image of McCain, by changing the media focus on all of the repression and arrests rather than McCain's stupid-looking grin.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

Salute!!!!

You know something....these protesters at this concert , and it sounds like you were a part of it too allseeingI-diot, are only showing your asses and none of your smarts....if you have any.

We are still waiting on that hard evidence that police instigated this incident. You know not only is rioting against the law, but slander is also against the law. If I was you I would start backtracking your statements and go find some hard evidence to back up that claim before you put yourself into a worse situation.

If you came here to simply report on something that you witnessed, you would not be posting back at replies so loudly and in an angry manner to those who think this rioting was plain stupid..as it was stupid. Your replies only suggest that you too partook in this thing that you believe you have a right to do..cause meyhem and chaos.

Well guess what...go read the constitution of the US and your state's constitution as well as the laws of your state and find that no where in those documents you will find anything that says "you have a right to riot and cause harm to innocents and cause property damage".

When idiots like this cause riots and property damage, they are infringing on innocents rights to attend an event peacefully. When your actions begin to cross the line, of both law and rights of others, that is when the police and authority are going to stop you at any cost, and do whatever it takes to stop it.

Now if you think this is BS...fine..you have that right to think that way. Be my guest and go wear more bandannas around your faces and hide your identity just like the terrorists do. And in my book, that puts you and anyone like you right in that catagory of terrorist....or more correctly..a "domestic" terrorist.

Or you could do this the right way and write your congressmen/women. Write to your state leaders. Protest in a peacefull manner, which IS granted in the constitution.

Or be stuipid and like blooming idiots and cause riots and damage to property..and see what happens when the law comes along to put a stop to it. And guess what..the law is not going to meet rioting people with flowers and peace signs...they will use any means that equals the incident to stop it...tear gas...smoke bombs, tasers, beanbag bullets, you name it.

Again....put your money where your mouth is and show that proof that police started this. You are the only person out here that is making that claim....I hope you got the cahones to go along with it to back it up.

Salutes to law enforcement...if they were not there, innocents would have been hurt, alot more damage would have happend, and it would have become a much bigger mess than it was.

Show us the proof!!! Show us the proof!!! Show us the proof!!!

We are waiting.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by RFBurns]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Echtelion

Still, I don't understand why RATM told this to the crowds... Did they had an agreement with authorities, allowing them to play, under the condition to not incite people to riot? To be continued...

A riot would have been exactly what's needed for bringing down the image of McCain, by changing the media focus on all of the repression and arrests rather than McCain's stupid-looking grin.

They made a plea that any resistance be peaceful resistance. The encouraged us to be smarter than the police and not doing anything to provoke them. The encouraged action, but not violent action.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

I will not be backtracking anywhere for the likes of you. I have been 100% truthful in the presenting of what I saw. Yes I have an opinion and I added that. I told you about the strange behavior of a man and my opinion that he was a provocateur.

Proof? I told you what I saw. I am the witness. I didn’t ask him if he was a provocateur if that’s what you are wondering.

Since when is a bunch of people walking and signing songs mayhem or chaos?

You are DARN RIGHT I partook in the march. And I am not ashamed or afraid of it.

If I am a domestic terrorist than so is 50% of US citizens!

Its because of brainwashed fools like YOU that we live in a police state.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join