It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Can't Republicans Attract Minorities?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
You guys realize Lincoln was liberal right? The Republican party was liberal before it was conservative. Just like the Democrats were once conservative before becoming the Dixiecrats then finally becoming the Republicans as the liberal/conservative split formed around the issue of civil rights.

Those are the facts. Lincoln was a liberal, the party was liberal for a long time. And again the liberal/conservative split didn't happen until the issue of civil rights arose. Before then you could be a conservative Democrat or a liberal Republican.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by mhc_70

You make some good points. But if this is the case then why don't the Republicans educate the African Americans and other minorities on what they have done for them. At the same time they are educating they could invest more in rebuilding their communities which in return would create more good will toward the republicans platform.

When was the last time you saw Republicans make an effort to solve the issues of the urban ghettos which are mainly minorities?

I ain't one to say that Republicans are racist. I just don't think that they have made a good case as to why minorities should follow their platform.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Again, Lincoln was liberal. The party was liberal, and conservative. The Big Split didn't happen until the civil rights issue arose. Why you had the Dixiecrats for a bit of time as the conservative Democrats split off before joining the Republicans.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Matrix1111

You make some valid points. I agree with you on the pandering and I am against that 100%. But I don't think that all minorities are looking for that handout. Some do have pride and do not want to be a burden on our government. Some are dependent on that handout because government is afraid to cut it for fear of losing votes.

I also agree that neither party has the right solution. Then again maybe they have the solutions but are fearful of the consequences if they were to implement those solutions.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Krieger
Again, Lincoln was liberal. The party was liberal, and conservative. The Big Split didn't happen until the civil rights issue arose. Why you had the Dixiecrats for a bit of time as the conservative Democrats split off before joining the Republicans.

YES...

YOU can see the quick change of party affiliations by state here.

www.fivethirtyeight.com...

One third down in the middle of the page.ALL the Electoral college votes.

[edit on 3-9-2008 by mental modulator]

[edit on 3-9-2008 by mental modulator]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

There you go with all your "history" and "facts" trying to counter the real truth (as told in this thread) that every vehicle with a GOP sticker on the back has dragged more than one "colored" to his death. Universal truth don'tcha know.

History and facts generally make up the truth.

I have a GOP sticker on my car and I also have a friend and co-worker who is black. When I give him a ride to work he always rides in the passenger seat.

Besides all that "history" was written by white people. Most likely by a relative of Bush who foresaw the truth of the popular GOP sport of "negro draggin'" being leaked despite Roves satanic powers of manipulation.

Who cares who wrote it? It is fact regardless of whatever conspiratorial spin you put on it.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shazam The Unbowed
Short awnser? 40+ years of entitlement propaganda. Democrats pay lip service to minority issues, while republicans are truly in interested in issues that are inherantly pro-minority, without being seen as such. For example, small business are the key to the overall economic advancement of any minority population. Strong families allow minority populations to reward thier best cultural attributes, while weeding out the weakest ones, the differences in the success of the asian and black popuations over the last 40 years, is a near perfect experiment into the effects of families on minority success. While "pro-minority" policies lead to the near destruction of the black family, the almost complete lack of "pro-asian" policies had the effect of strenghtining asians commitment to education as well as thier family bonds. The simple fact is while most people think whites are the most succesful racial group in america, the truth is, Asians are. This is extremely interesting considering that anti-asian bias was almost, if not as, strong as anti-black bias for most of Americas history, yet asians with almost no policies specifically targeted torwards them, eventually rose to becoem the most succesful racial group in america. Equally interesting is the rapidly emerging probabillity that hispanics will over take blacks as in terms of racial success shortly despite far fewer "advantages" in terms of competing in american society.

The sad truth seems to me to be, that while democratic ideas "sell" better in minority communities, republican policies work better.

So not once did you give an example of your own propoganda. Real nice propoganda, and it might fool the weakminded. But I challenge you to show evidence of your accusations.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by mhc_70

I was trying to be funny. Guess I failed?

Oh well.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
You make some good points. But if this is the case then why don't the Republicans educate the African Americans and other minorities on what they have done for them. At the same time they are educating they could invest more in rebuilding their communities which in return would create more good will toward the republicans platform.

I don't think reps. should concentrate on educating minorities on what reps. have done for them, seems the dems have already cornered that policy.

Instead concentrating on what else we can do, tomorrow, not yesterday, to invest in rebuilding those communities.

When was the last time you saw Republicans make an effort to solve the issues of the urban ghettos which are mainly minorities?

Last weekend about 30 of us volunteered in the construction of a "Habitat for Humanity" home. I am pretty sure all of us are white conservatives. The recipient is a black single mother of 3. Works 3 jobs and still finds time time volunteer at her childrens school. I respect her for many reasons, but her ambition and desire to do the right thing for her kids sticks out. She is also voting for Obama.

I ain't one to say that Republicans are racist. I just don't think that they have made a good case as to why minorities should follow their platform.

There is racism on both sides of the aisle.

David Duke was a dem before he was a rep...

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
I was trying to be funny. Guess I failed?

Oh well.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, next time a
will give a good hint to your intentions.

I am a rep so I hope you can grant me a little latitude in this area. I am just now getting used to the depths of absurdity the left will go, but to deny history and facts make up the truth just takes the cake.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mhc_70

I agree that the reps need to concentrate on what they can do now and in the future.

I really think they need to start addressing this issue ASAP or they will have more difficulty winning future elections.

Racism does exist on both sides but I don't feel this is due to racism or being racist. It basically boils down to the Reps not highlighting what they have done, are doing, or are capable of doing to include minorities in their party. Race has little or nothing to do with it.

I saw Lynn Swann talking and he should be a role model for the Republican party. If it wasn't for me seeing him on tv I would have never known he was a Republican. I must say he did pretty good stating why he preferred McCain.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
How could a party filled with people who honnestly feel they are Above and more worthy then everyone else attract any minoritys who exist because they are groups suffering discrimination by people who think they are above and more worthy then everyone else?

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix
How could a party filled with people who honnestly feel they are Above and more worthy then everyone else attract any minoritys who exist because they are groups suffering discrimination by people who think they are above and more worthy then everyone else?

Scroll about half way down and look at the red/blue state maps and the following chart.

Or this one...

You must be talking about dems.

11/21/2005
For the fourth year running, New Hampshire was the most miserly state, according to the Catalogue of Philanthropy's Generosity Index. Mississippi remained at the top for generosity.

the 10 most generous states were, in descending order, Mississippi, Arkansas, South Dakota, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Alabama, Louisiana, Utah, South Carolina and West Virginia.

The 10 stingiest, starting from the bottom, were New Hampshire, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Wisconsin, Connecticut, Minnesota, Colorado, Hawaii and Michigan.

In the '04 elections the 10 stingiest states all voted dem.

You don't need me to tell you who the 10 most generous states voted for.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by thematrix

I honestly feel that what you posted could easily be applied to both parties. Both have shown their skills of taking advantage of minorities for political gains.

There are just as many Dems that feel they are Above and more worthy then everyone else just as there are Reps.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Its not so much Republicans "can't attract minorities", its more like they don't go around hailing a great victory everytime a minority group joins the club like Democrats do!

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
This thread is about the Repiblican party.

If you read my comments in other threads, you'll notice that to me there is only 1 party, the behamoth thats usually named as the "political system" in the US, no matter what "side" wins, it'll always be the same people at the helm.

So yes, it applies to both sides equally. But because there are 2 fake sides created in this 1 party system, the democrats purpouse is to be compatible and attractive to the minorities and the republican side is there to pull in the rich and christians.

The reason for this illusion of choise is exactly what I've stated, because the minority groups are incompatible with the general public that aligns themselves with the republican side of things.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix

LOL!! Very good. I liked that one.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by thematrix

it'll always be the same people at the helm.

so true so true. That's why we constantly get more of the same no matter who wins the election.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
My experience has been somewhat different but read this entire thing before you conclude what i'm saying is one way or another:

When i was a teenager, a girlfriend and myself went to a hamburger stand by her home. It was getting dark but the place was only a few blocks away. We were in a suburb of detroit, right on the outskirts of detroit city proper. a white cadillac pullled up across the street and 2 young black men jumped out and ran across the street to the sidewalk we were walking on. (i'm female, too, btw). One ran across the street in front of us, the other ran across the street in back of us. We both noticed this and started to make a plan. We only had enough money to buy a couple cheapo burgers. no wallets or credit cards. we were teenagers. our purses contained a brush/comb, make up, cigarettes and maybe some cheap k-mart perfume (this was back in the 70s). we were both white.

anyway, we hatched a plan. we would ask them for a light for a cigarette and keep on walking like nothing was unusual. be cordial, friendly, and move along. confidence, ya know. eventually we all sorta met in the middle and we asked for a light. one of them whipped out a lighter and asked for a cigarette. the exchange was made and i started off towards the burger place as planned, but my friend let out a shriek, and i whirled to see one of the black guys had her in a headlock with a gun pointed at her. i looked at the other guy, he looked at me and then at his friend and seemed confused, like he was new at this type of thing and for some reason, didn't seem compelled to attack us. but, after about 15 seconds, he grabbed me as well. they went threw our purses, dumped the contents out on the ground and found all we had was less than a dollar (cheap hamburger joint burgers were like 25 cents back then). so they decided to rape us.
they began dragging us behind a row of apartment buildings.

my friend, who was stronger than me, broke free and ran out into the street failing her arms about and screaming for help. a car came to a screeching stop and a huge black guy got out. he was at least 6'5 and built like a football player. he said in a booming voice WHAT'S GOING ON HERE? and POOF those 2 black muggers were gone. then the big black guy offered us a ride back home and to safety. we accepted, we were so freaked out by this time, both of us were shaking like leaves.

before he would take us home, however, he swang by his house and opened his garage door with an automatic garage door opener, to show us his bike... as in motorcycle. see, turns out this guy was a member of HELLS ANGELS, detroit chapter. then he took us home but not before bitchin us out for being on the street without protection at night, in that neighborhood. we didn't know it wasn't safe, it was not detroit proper and there were still plenty of people going by who didn't seem aggressive, just going about their business.

long story short, there's good folk and bad folk (or badly behaving folk) in every group of people.

a couple months ago, hubby and i went to the grocery store. we got some groceries and brought them to the cash register. we didnt have much cash because he had been out of work for several months (retired from the military after 23 years and couldnt find a new job). when the cashier rang it all up, we were short a couple dollars. we were going to have to take something back and it looked like the something was going to be the only part of the groceries that was actual food (the rest being stuff we needed even more desperately, like medicine). suddenly, a black lady in the line behind us said, I'll pay for it. it was such a relief to hear her say that, i nearly cried with joy, then i grabbed her and gave her a bear hug on the spot. she said to us, This is how I get my blessings. It was very cool.

long story short, there's good folk everywhere. i think there's some places that are damaged moreso than others. like an area, where the community itself is a hotbed for vice and crime and it attracts like minded individuals, that doesn't really reflect on the races involved, it just reflects on the problems of that particular geographical location. maybe places like NYC and Detroit just need to be ....erm... ..can't really think of a solution that would be viable.

i think the real travesty now, after most people have set aside their racial differences is, that the democratic party is using minority groups to their own detriment, by playing on their weaknesses and helping them blame someone else, way past the expiration date on the label. that's very sad. they are a strong and proud people, just like the rest of the planet's races are. they shouldn't be manipulated like that.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

A very interesting story. These urban areas that we talk so much about have a lot of good people in them regardless of color. Unfortunately there is always that 10% that makes an area look bad. These are the people who are intent on running the neighborhood and giving it a bad name.

I agree that it is a shame that parties use minorities against each others party in an effort to win an election. It should be won on the issues that is best for America as a whole.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join