It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Atheism just a new religion? Part two

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   
what i have run into for years is the belief that if you are not a member of a organized religion then you are a atheist.

i do not believe in organized religion.
and am a Deist
i believe in a god
i believe in a afterlife.
i just don't believe in a organized religion.
en.wikipedia.org...
www.deism.com...
www.positivedeism.com...

Deism in the United States
Thomas Paine

In the United States, Enlightenment philosophy (which itself was heavily inspired by deist ideals) played a major role in creating the principle of separation of church and state, expressed in the First Amendment to the United States Constitution. Founding Fathers who were especially noted for being influenced by such philosophy include Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, Cornelius Harnett, Gouverneur Morris, and Hugh Williamson. Their political speeches show distinct deistic influence. Other notable Founding Fathers may have been more directly deist. These include James Madison, John Adams, possibly Alexander Hamilton, Ethan Allen [32] and Thomas Paine (who published The Age of Reason, a treatise that helped to popularize deism throughout America and Europe). Elihu Palmer (1764-1806) wrote the "Bible" of American deism in his Principles of Nature (1801) and attempted to organize deism by forming the "Deistical Society of New York."

However, Benjamin Franklin wrote in his autobiography, "Some books against Deism fell into my hands; they were said to be the substance of sermons preached at Boyle's lectures. It happened that they wrought an effect on me quite contrary to what was intended by them; for the arguments of the Deists, which were quoted to be refuted, appeared to me much stronger than the refutations; in short, I soon became a thorough Deist."

en.wikipedia.org...

At one time i was a Mormon
Then i was excommunicated for something i never involved in and could prove i was not even in town when it happened.
I even had other Mormons that were with me.
After that i no longer care what organized religious groups claim is right or wrong.

Any religion that tries may find that i can win in a court of law under religious freedom.

I am a nudist and was a party in a law suit against a church that attempted to imposed there anti nudity beliefs.
This was nudity on privet property and not viewable from public property.
and none of this Churches business.

I believe that religion should have no part in making laws in the US.
because any laws influenced by any religion will conflict with the religion of others and be unconstitutional.

Any religious nut case that attacks my religious beliefs is not religious they are assh**es and i will tell them that they are in front of everyone.

as for Atheism i can see no conflict between a Diest and a Atheist.
because nether would try to push there view on the other.

[edit on 16-9-2008 by ANNED]

<< 1   >>

join