It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy SEAL Drowns During Combat Operations : A Hero Dies

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
RIP Josh, hope he makes it home to his family, but in my book all men serving the US's armed forces will always be considered family to me, and hopefully to every other citizen of the USA.

I sincerely hope his family gets taken care of and made as comfortable as possible in grieving their loss. A loss for all of us actually.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I would like to say thank you for everyone saying something in regards to this hero who has passed away during a combat situation.

While, yes, I see the sad irony in a Navy S.E.A.L. drowning like a few people have stated, I also see where the other people who know it can happen as well.

...Rest In Peace : Forget Not All Of Our Fallen Heroes, Or Else They Died For No Reason...

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I met Josh Harris the first day of kindergarten and we have been friends ever since. For those of us that knew him personally, his death has been a horrible shock... but then again, this was Josh and if anyone would make a sacrifice like this, Josh would.

I don't care how he died. It doesn't matter. He died, period.

Tonight I am going to the funeral home to pay my respects to his family. Classmates from all over the country are coming home to support his family and say goodbye to him. Our entire town is mourning. Leave it to Josh to be the one to get us all together again.

Josh was the most dignified, dedicated man I've ever met in my life. And the most humble as well. If more people were like Josh, there wouldn't be a war in the first place. I am so proud to have known him.

RIP Josh. You are my hero.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

I personally know the Harris family. This is such a tragic loss for all of us. Thank you for your prayers at this time. Josh will be missed more than I can say. He was definately one unique man.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I am a friend of the family. Yes, he is coming home and will be laid to rest in Arlington National with full honors. We do not have full details but believe there was a harness malfunction. He was the point man for a mission which called for crossing a river swollen with mountain runoff.

He was a good man and was honored to serve his country. Please pray for him and his family.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

I am Josh's cousin and am proud to say that he was a true soldier, committed to his unit, his country, his family, and to freedom. On his last visit home, he related to his family that, regardless of whatever may happen to him, he was doing what he wanted to do - and that was to serve his country.

He was a gifted athlete and artist as well as a beloved son, brother, and family member. His dedication to the Seals and to the military were evident by his many recognitions, honors, and medels - His training included Military Free-Fall, Naval Special Warfare Tactical First Response Medical Training, Survive Escape Resist Evade (SERE) 215 and 250 courses, Combat Pistol and Rifle Course and several other courses. He completed the arduous training during the selection program and received orders to Naval Special Warfare Development Group as a member of Naval Special Warfare Tactical Development and Evaluation Squadron (NSWTACDEVRON) Two.

Josh Harris was a highly decorated combat veteran and received numerous awards during his career as a U.S. Navy SEAL including the Bronze Star Medal, Joint Service Commendation Medal with Combat "V" (Valor) Distinguishing Device, Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal with Combat "V" (Valor) Distinguishing Device, Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal, Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, Combat Action Ribbon (Operation Iraqi Freedom), Combat Action Ribbon (Operation Enduring Freedom), Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, Iraq Campaign Service Medal, Afghanistan Campaign Service Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Sea Service Deployment Ribbon (4), Good Conduct Medal (2).

As his cousin, I wish to dedicate the following words I wrote honoring his service and to his memory:

Remember Me.

I am a soldier,
A guardian of freedom,
A believer in my faith,
A warrior for righteousness,
A member of the strength of our nation.

I am a soldier,
A protector of those who cannot defend themselves,
A link in the chain of security,
A soul dedicated to good and equality,
A man ready to serve and protect.

I am a soldier,
My blood is neither red nor blue,
My allegiance to America is pure,
My fight is for my country,
My reward is simple and self-attained.

I am a soldier,
I feel no pain.
I lived for my brothers,
I died for my country.
I did this all, freely, for this is who and what I am.

I am a soldier,
Grieve not for me,
But honor and remember me.
For I lived my life for each of you.
I gave my life for my beliefs,
And I have no regrets.

I am a soldier.
I now lay down with my brethren.
I made the sacrifice, same as them.
I am satisfied that I gave my all,
For I am a soldier.

God accept me with open arms,
For I am a pure and simple man.
I loved my family and my country,
And I served them both very well,
For I can only do what I was meant to do.
For I am a soldier.

In honor of Petty Officer 1st Class Joshua Thomas Harris, 36, a Navy SEAL.

August, 2008
By his cousin Drew Lohr

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
RIP

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
It has been over two months and Josh's presence is sorely missed. I knew him very well and he was not only a brave warrior, he was the absolutely best person that I have ever met. He was a strong man with admirable morals, yet tender and kind. I will forever cherish the times that we shared together and I will always love him. Rest now, my little frogman. I will always, always love you.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join