It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy SEAL Drowns During Combat Operations : A Hero Dies

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Navy SEAL Drowns During Combat Operations : A Hero Dies

www.wvec.com

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) -- The Pentagon says a Little Creek-based U.S. Navy SEAL has died while fighting in Afghanistan.

Navy Petty Officer 1st Class Joshua Thomas Harris, a special warfare operator from Lexington, N.C., drowned on Saturday after being swept away while crossing a river during combat operations.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.inrich.com
abclocal.go.com
www.wxii12.com
www.navytimes.com

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
While I do not support the War in Iraq, nor our soldiers being involved in Afghanistan, I do however support them doing their duty to their country as men and women who are duty-bound through honor. This man to me as a Navy SEAL is a hero and should be honored as such seeing how he died in a combat mission, no matter where it was he died, he was doing his duty.

The Navy SEAL's are one of the absolute toughest and rewarding jobs within the military, and I am sure the SEAL and Spec Ops community will miss one of their own since he could not make it through his mission, he was unable to complete his mission parameters, but hopefully the mission was successful.

Let's hope for him, the creed of "Never Leave A Man Behind" was followed so his family can honor his remains for the funeral to come.

www.wvec.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
RIP Navy SEAL.

I'll leave off any comments, because a moments peace and reflection on his efforts and bravery are due.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Of all the ways for a Navy SEAL to die, he is swept off in a river and drowns... that just seems, off for a member of one of the hardest trained groups of soldiers out there.

[edit on 9/2/2008 by eNumbra]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

My homeport while I was in the Navy was Little Creek amphib base. May you RIP Josh Harris.

-Kdial1

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra
Of all the ways for a Navy SEAL to die, he is swept off in a river and drowns... that just seems, off for a member of one of the hardest trained groups of soldiers out there.

Considering SEAL's spend a relatively much larger portion of their time in water compared to other special forces I don't really think it too odd for an incident like this to occur.

RIP Officer Harris.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by watch_the_rocks

Higher likely hood of drowning because of more exposure to water yes... they're also trained for operation in the water and would in all likely hood be stronger swimmers.

I understand that this is a river, so they were likely fitted for almost exclusively land combat, and I've never tried swimming in full battle armament... It almost seems like a premise for a bad joke, but it's a real story.

[edit on 9/2/2008 by eNumbra]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
That must of been some mighty fast vicious river, and he must of been heavily burdend down for this to happen...

A SEAL drowning on a river crossing? man, what a tragic waste. I hope his family are well looked after.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

It may 'sound' off but I wouldn't put too much thought into the story. It's likely there were more specific details about how the death occurred but for the sake of the deceased and his family they were omitted.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
As far as i'm concerned they're all brave and all heros and they dont have to die to prove their heroism.

He would have been a hero as well alive.

I hope the way i've phrased it doesnt come off wrong.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

I was stationed at Little Creek Special Boat Unit 22 PBR's and Mini APC's it was our job to incert and extract Seals they are a great bunch of guys we would be sent to New Orleans to train with them on the Pearl River there are none BETTER . Rest in Peace brother

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
For a moment there a thought crossed my mind. What if Harris never really drowned but instead went in deeper and is now operating in some special unit where you don't exist ... for extra special missions? LOL Yeah. Probably too many movies I know. One could hope.

The Navy Seals are incredible. Seems ashame a river took a life of one of them. I cannot help but wonder what the circumstances were. Was he injured? Too much gear? It just seems strange that someone so highly trained could get lost in such a way. But then again, sometimes it can be the simpliest of things.

RIP Officer Harris. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Ahhh yes he was a Devgru guy.

While I was in the Navy, Devgru was just stretching its legs after Demo Dick who started the whole mess was being swept under the table trying to remake the unit into a more "friendly" unit in the eyes of the upper brass.

The Devgu (Development group) guys are the cream of the crop of the teams. My friend Tracy R. is still in Virginia at ST8 and talking with him, the Devgru unit was doing what it is usually trained to do which is intelligence gathering..that's all that needs to be said but remember there is "high probability" that Osama Bi Laden has been dead for quite some time now...

Nevertheless, yet another Seal to guard the gates of heaven

HOOYAH!! Josh you will be missed!!

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
It is devastating to see all these hero's we are losing because Bush wants to play politics with this war. I'm sure Josh would have been promoted soon if it were not for this given his education and skills.

We are losing way to many good men in this fubar war.

God bless him and his family.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Thank you for your service.

[edit on 2-9-2008 by LiquidMirage]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Here you go:

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Thank you Badge for your help but I have a question for you. After responding to my question in the other thread I started about how to embed videos, how the heck did you know what thread I was trying to post in? I have heard you mods have super powers. Now I believe it

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I have known Josh Harris for over 20 years, i assure you he was the cream of the crop and a hero to this country! He was an accomplished SEAL and had previously been awarded the bronze star. Please pray for the Harris family. Peace be with you Josh! We will all miss you.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Please pass on condolences from people who think he's a hero.

The details of his mission are most likely classified, so exactly how he died, other than drowning will probably never be known.

That's not important to me though.

He died as a Navy SEAL, and for that, he gets my utmost respect.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join