It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada not ready to respond to emergencies: report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Canada not ready to respond to emergencies: report

news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca

Canada has made "virtually no progress" in the last four years on the emergency preparedness front, Liberal Sen. Colin Kenny said Tuesday.

Kenny made the remarks following the release of a new report by the Standing Senate Committee on National Security and Defence.

The report, titled "Emergency Preparedness in Canada," is a follow-up to a March 2004 study that examined the same topic.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Wow. I never knew it was that bad.

news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
www.canadianacionparty.ca The only real political to offer leadership in Canada...

Harpers a Bilderberg stooge anyways......... They have "other plans" than to make sure Canadians are well looked after and prepared.

Although I'm only concerned with Major city centers......

The average small town and rural born and bred Canadians can manage themselves and help each other out imo.

If # goes down and your in one of the major cities goodluck with you.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by BindareDundat

What else do you expect? I mean the miltary doesn't even have winter camo, in a country that has 6 months of snow. They use European vehicles that are ancient. If we can't get them some decent funding and equipment, what are we going to do for the rest of the country?

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Rook1545

6 months of snow? The snow lasts longer than 6 months around here now.

A couple of weeks ago while in Lloydminster I saw new military jeeps. Not long ago (maybe 2 years now time flies) I saw new tanks being hauled through Maidstone. I only see them when they pass through on their way back east and then back west again on their yearly runs.

There are Canadian military who work up in the Arctic. I seen them on TV wearing white winter camo as they patrolled on their snowmobiles. Or are they the only ones issued the gear?

I have never looked into what the Canadian military gets for funding or what the Canadian military needs for equipment.

[edit on 9/2/2008 by BindareDundat]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
SARTEC is pretty well prepped, but we can't leave everything up to them, they're not intended for a mass crisis. They're right when they say the local police, fire, and ambulance crews don't have what's necessary to respond to a massive emergency.

The problems we've had so far, we seem to have handled alright. But they haven't been as bad as some disasters other countries have experienced.

I guess the problem here is, no government seems willing to do anything regarding preparedness until AFTER a major disaster occurs.
Just look at our brothers to the south... now they're prepping for a hurricane... after the last one proved they couldn't handle it.

We need to do better than them. What's on the table regarding emergency preparedness... what do the lib's propose?

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rook1545
reply to post by BindareDundat

What else do you expect? I mean the miltary doesn't even have winter camo, in a country that has 6 months of snow. They use European vehicles that are ancient. If we can't get them some decent funding and equipment, what are we going to do for the rest of the country?

They're just preparing for Global Warming. No point in buying camo that will be obsolete in 5, 10, 20, NEVER, years from now, eh?

I love the fact that Canada is so quick to point at their socialized medicine program while simultaneously trying to sheild attention away from all the programs that have to be cut into to make it work. After all, what's really more important, being able to pay for your jobless neighbor's doctor visit through higher taxes & program cuts or expecting a prompt response to a natural disaster in a country that experiences serious floods and has active volcanoes & fault zones?

top topics

join