It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What have we learnt from the Russian weaponary in the brief Russia / Georgia war

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ro01xc08

During the cold war the russian military wasnt behind. There is no such proof but western propaganda and bias against the russians themselves that they were inferior. Technological wise they rivaled the west if not exceeded it.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by wantawanta

No, I don't still have the coin. Nor can I find my medals, including those I received for valor. They never meant much to me, as I was getting paid to do a job. Nor can I find a lot of things from those decades ago. I think my children packed that stuff away years ago.

One thing hasn't disappeared. My many scars from my wounds. Oh yes. The nightmares.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Isn't this the "What have we learnt from the Russian weaponary in the brief Russia / Georgia war" tread? I started to read it, but now I'm not sure.

I read in a newspaper today that the russians might used cluster bombs
BBCNews

The Russians is denied the accusation. But To be open minded, neither Georgia or Russia has signed the treaty against Clusterbombs. Couldn't Georgia have used some? Since I guess they have some russian equipment lying around.?

Or am I all wrong?

[edit on 20-10-2008 by trondjac]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 03:47 AM
link   
No More Off Topic Remarks About Other Posters!!!

Last warning

People could start to lose posting privileges if this does not stop now.

Semper

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by RussiaUSA
reply to post by ro01xc08

During the cold war the russian military wasnt behind. There is no such proof but western propaganda and bias against the russians themselves that they were inferior. Technological wise they rivaled the west if not exceeded it.

And where is your proof ? They didn't exceed teh west in technology, in fact Russia still can't make a decent CPU. It is American computer technology being sold to Russians, not domestically produced goods. Why ? because Russian tech is crap.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I think most of us can make a our point without bashing the others side with silly remarks.

The Cold War is over. Russia and America have been friends for most of history. We have common roots and share enough genes. Let us remember that Russia almost won the cold war. Another term of J Carter or Mondale win
would have probably meant the end of the US and the West. Ronald Reagan was as important to the collapse of Soviet as Alexander was of Persian Empire.

Neither side could have won out right war. Reagan simply brought the Russians to reality that we just wouldn't be walked over. In the end It was a win win for both sides.

As for Georgia no question about it Russia can deal with its internal matters. Like it or not Georgia is seen as Russian possession sort of like China and Taiwan or US and Cuba. Liberal ideology has put us into conflict yet again with Russia whether it was Truman Korean War LBJ Vietnam War Clinton Bosnia War. Let the World fend for itself no more wars except self defense.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by rogue1

LOL

its all made in taiwan

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shamanator
What the brief skirmish told us is Russia has a very weak air force and even a tiny country can inflict significant losses on it. Imagine the same situation only using state of the art American equipment I predict the entire Russian Air force would be extinct in a few short hours.

What we also know is that Russia will attack soft targets like civilians and I suspect they took a lot more casualty's in the brief fire fighting than they will admit.

I believe Nato could beat Russia in a week or so with no significant casualty's superior technology and superior tactics win out.

c'mon...russia probably sent some newbie general into georgia and some new recruits with a few well placed vets just to get in some practice. look up grenada for the very same thing for the U.S. military. russia has billions coming in from their oil and gas, and you think they are a ragtag military?? "never underestimate your advesary", has been a well worn motto in military circles.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
reply to post by rogue1

LOL

its all made in taiwan

Actually, alot is being amde in China these days. Thing is it is American technogoly which is producing CPU's in these factories. It is cheaper and allows them more access to make them in China.
I'm pretty sure if a company started marketing computers with Russian CPU's(do they even make any), it would be bankrupt before it ever sold it's first computer.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ro01xc08

But back on topic, what I learned from the conflict was small children (Georgia) shouldn't poke big dogs (Russia) with sticks, and then request help as the dog rips their face off. If the Russia wanted to, there would be nothing left of Georgia right now, and there wouldn't be a thing NATO could do to oppose that.

I would change that slightly to small children shouldn't complain when big bully adults steal their lunch money. Russia has been brewing this trouble for quite awhile with Georgia. Russia basically forced the actions, it was a poor decision by the Georgians to try and take back their own sovereign territory from Russia, none the less, the territory was not Russian, it was Georgian territory.

You are basically applauding Russia for seizing territory of another country for it's own. Way to go there....Way to promote world peace there.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Hmm do not see you bitching and moaning about Iraq or Afghanistan? But since it is the good ol USA, let them do as they like. Heck Kosovo can be forcefully made independent by the USA, but when Russia tries it, everyone is up in arms and complaining. Why? There is double standards here, hypocrits who cry untill they get there own way. Then hypocrits who cry when they do not get there own way, reminds me of a small child rofl.

Georgia was part of the USSR, probly still would be a Russian allies, if not for the US injecting billions over the years, in an attempt to seperate them from Russia, just to use the country as one of many stageing posts, should war ever break out with Russia.

Heck the Us and Russia could even be allies, if the US was not hell bent on showing everyone they have balls compared to Russia etc.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

Originally posted by Shamanator
What the brief skirmish told us is Russia has a very weak air force and even a tiny country can inflict significant losses on it. Imagine the same situation only using state of the art American equipment I predict the entire Russian Air force would be extinct in a few short hours.

What we also know is that Russia will attack soft targets like civilians and I suspect they took a lot more casualty's in the brief fire fighting than they will admit.

I believe Nato could beat Russia in a week or so with no significant casualty's superior technology and superior tactics win out.

c'mon...russia probably sent some newbie general into georgia and some new recruits with a few well placed vets just to get in some practice. look up grenada for the very same thing for the U.S. military. russia has billions coming in from their oil and gas, and you think they are a ragtag military?? "never underestimate your advesary", has been a well worn motto in military circles.

Personally, I think that the US and Russia are, in terms of ground forces, I'm not sure of otherwise, but anywho, I believe that while we have all the latest toys, Russia has not forgotten the fact that an extremely well trained soldier can make even the simplest weapons deadly effective. But the US also teaches our best the same fact, and those who aren't sent in with that knowledge either learn it damn fast, or die. To quote a former Spetsnaz(sp?) "You can only really fight with what you know at the lowest level, and if you've never hit that level, all you find is panic." Anyone who has ever fought for their lives will find this to be true.
I will not say whether we or they would win in war, or whether their invasion of Georgia was or was not justified, because the first is something that could only be found out through experience, and the second is a matter of perspective, because I'm sure that whoever authorized that invasion thought it was justified, the Georgians likely don't think so. NATO certainly doesn't seem to think so. Look at it from the other's perspective all you who are bashing on the Russians, and to those who are making fun of NATO, it has been said already that you never underestimate an adversary.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saf85

Georgia was part of the USSR, probly still would be a Russian allies, if not for the US injecting billions over the years, in an attempt to seperate them from Russia, just to use the country as one of many stageing posts, should war ever break out with Russia.

Heck the Us and Russia could even be allies, if the US was not hell bent on showing everyone they have balls compared to Russia etc.

It's obvious you yearn for the Good ol days when the USSR was around. Here's a hint for you.... the reason Eastern Europe and most of the former Soviet republics broke away from Mother Russia was that they didn't like being vassals to her. I'm sure Hungry, Czechoslovakia and Poland just loved you coming in and trampling their revolts against you, I bet they can't wait for you to march in again with tanks.

You keep believing it was America that weaned them away from you..... you did that job by yourself with your heavy handed treatment of them.

You have a former head of the KGB running things over there and you think things are going the right way. You are slipping back into your old habits there in Russia except that the Oligarchy there now flaunts their wealth.

End of off topic rant....

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Hmm do not see you bitching and moaning about Iraq or Afghanistan? But since it is the good ol USA, let them do as they like.

Last time I checked the U.S. hasn't annexed any part of those countries and made them part of the U.S. We haven't made the inhabitants of Iraq and Afghanistan U.S. citizen like Russia has in Georgia.

What exactly is Russia's plan for those disputed regions of Georgia? You have already granted them Russian Citizenship.... I wonder what follows?

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

Hmm do not see you bitching and moaning about Iraq or Afghanistan? But since it is the good ol USA, let them do as they like.

Last time I checked the U.S. hasn't annexed any part of those countries and made them part of the U.S. We haven't made the inhabitants of Iraq and Afghanistan U.S. citizen like Russia has in Georgia.

What exactly is Russia's plan for those disputed regions of Georgia? You have already granted them Russian Citizenship.... I wonder what follows?

Yup very convenient you forgot my sentence on Kosovo there. The US has no moral high ground, look at what they did for Israel also, took Palestine and gave it to the Jews with no real right or permission, then armed and supplied the Jews in there wars and land grabs. As far as Russia wishing to make a region or two that is predominately Russian, into a Russian state, they are doing no more or no less than the US, UK, France and majority of Europe has already done many times.

Nato is nothing more than a paper tiger. Everyone who laughs at Nato is justified, they backed down from there promises, after all those years of acting like a tough guy. Those who bash Russia are just ignorant fools who belive everything the media shovels them.

new topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join