It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush: The Secret Hero of American History. Shhhhh...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I know there are some that will be quick to label me a neocon.
Whatever, I really don't care if you pigeon hole, but before you do I must ask the question that I hope can be answered honestly and objectively,...

Why can one person (Bush) never do anything right, yet another person (Obama) can never do anything wrong?

Regardless of what President Bush has done, has not done, will or will never do, I know he will never ever be liked by some people (aka, the haters). Still, I've always felt that at some point in time, maybe even in in the very near future, more will be known and he will be considered a hero.

Ooooh, what a scary thought for some haters out there, but don't worry, because when this happens there will be instances where credit will NOT be given due.

Well maybe those days are just around the corner because it looks like it's already starting.

Case in point, Afghanistan...

Reality TV Stirs Business Spirit in Afghanistan

KABUL - A reality TV show broadcast in Afghanistan has encouraged Afghans to start their own enterprises, stirring entrepreneurial spirits in a country that has been ravaged by three decades of war.

The program is loosely based on the popular "Dragons Den" series, in which contestants pitch their business ideas to a panel of tycoons in return for cash for their companies.

The program, the latest in a series of popular reality shows that have taken Afghanistan by storm, is more than just entertainment. Its supporters hope that by encouraging small businesses, the program will help Afghanistan's economy become more self-reliant.

All this and no mention whatsoever of "Bush" in the article.
Gee, what a surprise, it's an MSNBC article.

Oh well, still interesting to note..

Al Ahmadi and another woman from Herat finished in the top five on the show, a sign of change in a country where women were not allowed to work at all, let alone run their own business, under Taliban rule which ended less than seven years ago.

Here is another example.

Even Wikipedia dares not to give Bush a favorable mention.

Then there is this..

Have we misunderestimated George W Bush?

In Bush's case, redemption is possible – and well inside 200 years. Who can absolutely rule out the possibility that Iraq over the next decade or two will emerge as a stable, modern and reasonably democratic state, the model for the Middle East that the neo-cons once told us it would be? And what if subsequent events prove that the "war on terror" is being won – that 9/11, in retrospect, turns out to be not the end of the beginning, but the beginning of the end? If these two things come to pass, future historians will certainly treat Bush more kindly.

The gold standard for presidential rehabilitation is Harry Truman. When he took the train home from Washington to Independence, Missouri, in January 1953, Truman was reviled, his achievements in creating Nato and reviving Europe with the Marshall Plan were virtually forgotten. Now most historians place him high in the second tier of presidents, behind the elite trio of Washington, Lincoln and FDR. Even the reputation of Richard Nixon, who 34 years ago became the only president in history to resign, is no longer entirely negative.

Presidents whom history has smiled on – after the events

1. Harry Truman

He left office in 1953 with an approval rating of 26 per cent, and the image of a graceless small-town politician promoted above his pay grade. The country was fed up with the Korean war, distant and deadlocked after more than two years of often bloody fighting. In the past 50 years, though, his reputation has only risen. The haberdasher from Kansas City is now remembered for his clear thinking, and for deeds that shaped and protected the West for half a century – the creation of Nato, the Berlin airlift that faced down the Russians early in the Cold War, and the extraordinary act of enlightened self-interest that was the Marshall Plan.

2. George Bush Sr

The missteps of the son have lent a new aura to the father. The Bush who was defeated by Bill Clinton in 1992 came across as an overprivileged member of a dying East Coast establishment, more familiar with foreign countries than his own. During the election campaign, he was famously bemused by a scanner in a supermarket. Now, however, his foreign policy achievements are gaining recognition, above all his expert, no-gloating management of the break-up of the Soviet Union, and his realisation that regime change in Iraq in 1991, when he had Saddam at his mercy, would be more trouble than it was worth. If only George Jr had listened....

3. Dwight Eisenhower

Another president whose reputation has gained from the mistakes of the present incumbent. In 1960, the former Second World War commander was viewed as an elderly throwback to another era – indolent, golf-loving and out-of-touch. Now the 1950s are viewed by some as a golden age of American innocence that unfolded under the benign gaze of a wise grandfather at the White House, and Eisenhower is regarded as a skilful handler of the Cold War. He is remembered, too, for his valedictory address, in which he delivered his warning about the perils of an emerging "military-industrial complex" that could – and has – distorted national security policy.

4. Ronald Reagan

No one ever doubted that Reagan's 1980 victory marked the triumph of modern conservatism in America. But the "Great Communicator" left office a figure of fun, assumed to have hardly a clue what was going on around him, manipulated by his wife, Nancy. His reputation soared with the collapse of communism. So dismissive of detail, Reagan is seen as being right on the big issues: the evils of the Soviet system and the virtues of free markets. He is admired for his goal of ridding the world of nuclear weapons, almost achieved at the 1986 Reykjavik summit with Gorbachev. Like Truman, Reagan is now ranked as a "near-great" president.

No matter how you feel about the Man, the haters should at least be objective enough to admit and agree that Bush stuck to his beliefs no matter how unpopular his decisions may have been.

Will he be the secret hero of American History?

Time is telling.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I don't ever think, that in this generation, he will be viewed as a hero. Right now, American's in their self-centered minds (exception to ATS), do not see through what is at the end of the tunnel.

He may be a 'secret' hero. He made a few very bad decisions, that affected his political career. The Afghanistan War was justified, Iraq was not. He freed many Afghan's from Taliban rule, and that is one of the most positive things that has happened in his presidency. Many Afghan's view him as a hero, but, as it will be for a while, he is still a hated American president.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
So I am assuming you do support bush.. and if thats the case you also support open borders.. Strange considering your avatar shows the opposite.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I've always thought Bush has done a pretty good job, for what was thrown at him. He doesn't get any credit for anything, because we have a completely hostile and childish media. If Iraq and Afghanistan turns out to be a real successes, history will indeed smile on him.

The fact is, our media has fudged up the fact so badly, that many people have a very distorted view of how we got to the Iraq war int he first place. Many people think Bush just made up all the Iraq stuff on a whim.

I saw a C-SPAN interview with the author of a book called "After Bush" and he makes the point that Al Gore probably would have invaded Iraq also. He says to have not invaded Iraq, may have been a major blunder. He cited Al Gores Hawkish stand on Iraq up until it became unpopular.

[edit on 2-9-2008 by Dronetek]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Each successive presidency has brought with it a greater exposure to ideological forms external to our form of government.

Each successive president has surrendered more of the power to something other than what could rightly be considered 'the people'.

Bush is the latest in the chain of lesser men to which the leadership of our Constitutional Republic has been subjected.

All the successes each administration claims are as hollow as those claimed by their predecessors.

Not every president has been quiet regarding the trend. Perhaps you should research further.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
what a joke. Bush will go down as the absolute worst president ever. His disregard for the constitution and illegeal spying on americans are only the beginning, just wait until even more of his presidential directives are unclassified, i'll take a wager right now as to him NEVER being regarded as a hero, i'm tempted to say that you are not serious and are trolling. It is laughable to even consider, so that's my 2 cents, i won't validate this thread any further than that for fear of trolling.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Pres. Bush had his horrible spots, such as immigration, secret American spying, etc...

But all of those have happened before. Have you ever heard of the Alien and Sedition Act? Look it up. He did more bad than good, but he did do good, I cannot see how you cannot see that.

You people are terrible. I am not some disinfoist working for the FBI, I am a regular Joe who connects the dots. How can you call this trolling!?!

Nothing is EVER absolute when it concerns human activities.

i won't validate this thread any further than that for fear of trolling.

That is a very biased and unassuming statement. He did have good points, even though it may be hard to find them.

An American must look into the future and must think, "What will this look like in 100 years..., how are we looking at 100 years ago?"

We can look back and say,"it could have been worse"

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by truth_seeker3

I prefer to concern myself with the present in this regard. Historical truth is as elusive ever, and 100-years ago, it had already begun; so I profess no delusional theories about our apparent destination.

But I have children, and quaint or passe' as it may sound, I don't want them to be effectively mute in future affairs of the nature of the 'State' which my generation will leave to them as a legacy.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by thefreepatriot
So I am assuming you do support bush.. and if thats the case you also support open borders.. Strange considering your avatar shows the opposite.

1. I don't support open borders which means I don't agree with everything he has done.
2. Just being objective here, you should try it sometime.
3. You didn't answer my question why people hate one politician yet love another, unconditionally.
4. Look closely, my avi has both Bush and Señor Fox

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enigma Publius
what a joke. Bush will go down as the absolute worst president ever. His disregard for the constitution and illegeal spying on americans are only the beginning, just wait until even more of his presidential directives are unclassified, i'll take a wager right now as to him NEVER being regarded as a hero, i'm tempted to say that you are not serious and are trolling. It is laughable to even consider, so that's my 2 cents, i won't validate this thread any further than that for fear of trolling.

Just making a prediction myself although it appears that this prediction is scaring the living crud out of you. What if you are completely wrong and he he does become a hero.
Hope this doesn't disturb your sleep tonight.

I wonder if Bush has a Sandy Berger in his administration.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Good post op.... Bush will be viewed as a better President than most people think.

For everybody expecting that great change, just look at the people who surround him. It is just like he says.....More of the Same.

Obama 08- More of the same is a part of my game.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Yes I'm sure that in 200 years the people of Afghanistan praise George Bush for bringing them reality television

Despite the Sunshine stories you relate, and I'm sure they're true, things are actually getting worse in Afghanistan as far as I know.
Because of the focus on Iraq the Taliban has regrouped & are hitting back so the country is a long way from a stable democracy.

It's important to note that history is written by those in power, so you may indeed turn out to be right. In 200 years we may live under the rule of the NWO and the neocons might be portrayed as brave champions of peace & liberty.
I think people should start out by THOROUGHLY investigating, how deliberate & far reaching the deceit leading up to Iraq was, and then take action accordingly. Then let the historians of the future worry about the history books of the future...

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I have been saying these same words all along, big patriot, always wanting to think the best an optimist by nature am I

But now with just a few months left... why do I suddenly feel like... I have post traumatic stress disorder, soooo relieved he wil be out of order...

I had kind of geared myself up for ruination, had suvival plans ready, was prepared to handle anything America needed me too

and now... I wonder will we just bypass all this and become just another country again and i'll simply lead a boring life?

No great ww3, no clash of civilizations? Everything might just mellow out?

Maybe

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Historians will probably treat him with much kindness, history is written by the same MS propoganda-ists isn't it?

I would think the Bush connection with the 80's Savings and Loans scandals would have been enough.

If my daddy was pres, I guess I would suck the neo-tit by default, and hope that if I ever came to my senses that they would take whatever means meccessary to make me re-conform so that I would not be a Paris to the Hiltons as the Bush's are to America

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

If that were the case then the "MS propoganda-ists" you speak of would have already mentioned Bush by name in the links I posted, but they didn't.
It's like "good news in Afghanistan today" without ever mentioning what it took for that to occur.
However they did mention the Islamo Fascists, something that was never mentioned in last weeks Democrat National Convention.

The MSM hate Bush and they will be the ones that will write tomorrows History books so why do you think they will treat him with kindness?
They will merely report the positives of what Bush help set in place but will never mention him by name.
Kinda like how they are already brainwashing British school kids that the events at Auschwitz never occured.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

But I have children, and quaint or passe' as it may sound, I don't want them to be effectively mute in future affairs of the nature of the 'State' which my generation will leave to them as a legacy.

Then I guess you especially should be extremely thankful that your children will not share their world with the likes of Uday and Qusay.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Alexandro, why posit an argument as such unless your own view is as limited. This mythical "everyone" who hates bush but loves obama; it's like when I argue with my wife and she pulls the old "you do so and so ALL the time" which is never true. Bush is more than likely to be considered one of, if not the worst Presidents ever. How bad can Obama be compared to that moron?

ColoradoJens

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro

Originally posted by Maxmars

Then I guess you especially should be extremely thankful that your children will not share their world with the likes of Uday and Qusay.

Insofar as their sharing of the world, we must leave that to them, which cannot be achieved by dis-empowering them.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Ummm....Already? Is History repeating itself once again?

I thought that it was interesting that wathcing the Republican Convention tonight that GW's hair is grey and GHW's is mostly brown.

Maybe the more people you kill the more your hair turns gray?

Document that one future historians..

That, and the "funny slap-stick" humor of one former senator who spoke, makes me wonder....did the circus come to town and leave a few freak-show oddities behind?

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I'm a little confused about President Bush being responsible for bringing reality television to the people of Afghanistan. First I don't think this is something we as amercians should be all that proud of and second "Dragons Den" is a BBC show from England, not an american show.

So essentialy it's the creator/producers of Dragons Den who have brought reality television to afghanistan.

And I'm pretty sure they're English.

Just sayin.

Spiderj

top topics

<<   2 >>

join