It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

End of windows OS?google chrome

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
www.computerworld.com...

a new browser is not really about trying to outmuscle the other top browsers, it's a key weapon in the company's effort to kill Windows, according to industry observers. A beta version of the open source browser, called Chrome, is set to be available today. Chrome includes a new JavaScript engine that Google says will power Web applications better and faster than other browsers. Google Gears, which will provide offline access and local storage for Web applications, is also embedded in the browser.

gets released today....all i can say is wooot woooot

if they do make it a complete OS
they better not be ignorant like Linux...make it support windows directX game's!!!!!!!!!!
linux would be my OS of choice if i could play my game's.

so what do you think ....the beginning of the google OS?
or just hype?

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
lol im using it already !!! there are pretty few issues with plugins activeX such as the vusion wrap player 2, also vlc activeX same issue not showing in this ff3, Mac , win, browser type :p.

apart from that it looks pretty clean just wish this didnt look so [snip]blue
it runs very smooth, love the tabs ! and the download manger looks good !. keep in mind, this browser got a very heavy user history record ! setting which might bring problems in the future etc !

Mod Edit - Profanity

[edit on 2-9-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Google Chrome doesn't like one of the sites that the ATS site is connected to. This is what I saw the first time I tried to log in using Chrome.

I guess vlaze is a site that sends part of the page. I'm guessing it has something to do with advertising.

[edit on 2-9-2008 by LazyGuy]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by beforetime
they better not be ignorant like Linux...make it support windows directX game's!!!!!!!!!!

Linux, would be able to do that, but IIRC Direct X is actually owned by Microsoft itself, making such compatibility difficult. That said, with graphics card support you can definitely make games work, like Halo, with WINE.

so what do you think ....the beginning of the google OS?
or just hype?

If they make an OS and do OEM installs with it, then yes, it should be the much needed true opposition to the Windows domination of the market. And I'd much rather see an open source system have dominance than a MS one.

This coming from someone using Chrome, by the way.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   
if you guys do use Google Chrome then I want you all to read this:

"By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any content which you submit, post or display on or through, the services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the services and may be revoked for certain services as defined in the additional terms of those services."

Google Terms of Service

1.1 Your use of Google’s products, software, services and web sites (referred to collectively as the “Services” in this document and excluding any services provided to you by Google under a separate written agreement) is subject to the terms of a legal agreement between you and Google. ... This document explains how the agreement is made up, and sets out some of the terms of that agreement.

the Google Chrome browser as a software product can be defined as a Service, hence the first quote. please be aware of this as you might be unwittingly giving Google permission to use any and all content you post and upload while using their browser.

Google Chrome Privacy Notice

please take the time to read the site i've linked to below as they seem to have a better grasp of the implications of this than i do.
CNet WebWare

[edit on 9.3.08 by toreishi]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by toreishi
if you guys do use Google Chrome then I want you all to read this:

Yes, it's true it is like that, but the plus side is that the actual license for it is BSD, and the other ones are all free software ones, so you can get the source anyway, and find out if it does anything wrong, unlike a certain browser that has 80% market share.

Also, if we're looking at T&C's and EULA's, this looks sillier (from Vista Ultimate's EULA):

Licensed Device. You may install one copy of the software on the licensed device. You may use
the software on up to two processors on that device at one time. Except as provided in the
Storage and Network Use (Ultimate edition) sections below, you may not use the software on any
other device.

So much for Quad core processors then.

POTENTIALLY UNWANTED SOFTWARE. If turned on, Windows Defender will search your
computer for “spyware,” “adware” and other potentially unwanted software. If it finds potentially
unwanted software, the software will ask you if you want to ignore, disable (quarantine) or remove
it. Any potentially unwanted software rated “high” or “severe,” will automatically be removed after
scanning unless you change the default setting. Removing or disabling potentially unwanted software
may result in
• other software on your computer ceasing to work, or
• your breaching a license to use other software on your computer.
By using this software, it is possible that you will also remove or disable software that is not
potentially unwanted software.

Yes, you agree for MS to make it's decision about what your computer should or shouldn't have.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 02:33 AM
link   
right.
back on topic.

The Internet is becoming a set of serviced offices and Google wants to prevent privateers running visitor reception. Read the comic strip and marvel at how Google, free of legacy software baggage and compatibility problems, is running rings around Microsoft and, coincidentally, encouraging us to use effectively Google-owned pathways to a Google-provided Internet search and application portfolio.

El Reg: The Google-isation of all the net's access points

Google Chrome: The Comic

What it means (Warning: this link contains some satire; not for the humorless)

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by toreishi

Yes that's a good point. But it's a change from MS telling you to use their stuff, so it's kind of nice to be brainwashed by someone else.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by apex

MS doin this

Google doin this

makes me go
:bnghd:
LOL!

in other (old) news:

gOS - good OS or google OS in disguise?
gOS review

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   
this just in:

Google Chrome Browser 0.2.149.27 malicious link DOS vulnerability

Software: Google Chrome Browser 0.2.149.27

Tested: Windows XP Professional SP3

Result: Google Chrome Crashes with All Tabs

Problem: An issue exists in how chrome behaves with undefined-handlers in chrome.dll version 0.2.149.27. A crash can result without user interaction. When a user is made to visit a malicious link, which has an undefined handler followed by a 'special' character, the chrome crashes with a Google Chrome message window "Whoa! Google Chrome has crashed. Restart now?". It lies in dealing with the POP EBP instruction when pointed out by the EIP register at 0x01002FF4.

Proof of Concept: evilfingers.com...

Credit: Rishi Narang (psy.echo) www.greyhat.in www.evilfingers.com

Serious security flaw in Google Chrome
Google Chrome vulnerable to carpet-bombing flaw

Just hours after the release of Google Chrome, researcher Aviv Raff discovered that he could combine two vulnerabilities — a flaw in Apple Safari (WebKit) and a Java bug discussed at this year’s Black Hat conference — to trick users into launching executables direct from the new browser. ... Chrome user-agent shows that Chrome is actually WebKit 525.13 (Safari 3.1), which is an outdated/vulnerable version of that browser.

When does Chrome talk to Google

to all early adopters: hope y'all stay safe and stable

EDIT: and while we're discussing browsers, here's a funny article regarding the up-and-coming all-shiny-and-new incarnation of the browser which we all love to hate and therefore shall not be named.

worse than windows?

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Well I started using Chrome (web browser) today and I must say that I love it lots. much better then Opera in most aspects. I just wish that I could block adds.

If google were to make an OS imo they shouldnt try use a linux core. But write their own OS using a Unix core going down the path apple have done; making the OS UI very consistent and usable but keeping it such that an experienced user can hop in and use it like they might wanna use any other *nix OS and simple enough for new users to do things visually with menus, icons and the like.
Hope that made sense lol.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazyGuy
Google Chrome doesn't like one of the sites that the ATS site is connected to. This is what I saw the first time I tried to log in using Chrome.

I guess vlaze is a site that sends part of the page. I'm guessing it has something to do with advertising.

[edit on 2-9-2008 by LazyGuy]

yes i got that very same window...ad's have malware...ats and bts need to look into there ad's asap.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by toreishi

I would like to see Microsoft smashed to pieces by Google because MS has a Big Brother mentality....

It seems to me that Google and most large companies are having this attitude also. I bet they thrive on most people not even reading the T.O.A. Just for this reason I would not use Chrome. It appears that you have to allow them to constantly track every move you make.

I use windows, but it has DeepFreeze encryption software on it so nothing is getting changed or leeched from my system. I reset and it goes back to the way it was.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
This is just my opinion but it feels like Safari.
Definitely not crazy about their TOS, in general.. I don't trust google.
I won't use it Chrome though, since I only use portable browser.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
they should just stick to the windows '98 format. thats why i use xp.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Need some BTS points the negative ones are annoying me so expect me to be posting around randomly a bit never really ventured into this part of the site.

About Google chrome I'm a big Firefox user and won't be trusting Googles offering don't get me wrong they are a good company and their search engine really dominates the whole web now.

My reason for not using it is I don't trust them not to track me for ads and the like let's face it that is their main revenue stream as far as I'm concerned Firefox 3 and Adblock Plus do wonders why change.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Teknikal
My reason for not using it is I don't trust them not to track me for ads and the like let's face it that is their main revenue stream as far as I'm concerned Firefox 3 and Adblock Plus do wonders why change.

To be fair though, they can't really get that much malicious stuff into the code, because if they do it will be found, since you can download the source code and look at it yourself, so anything bad like that would soon enough be found.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

it should feel like Safari, after all they come from the same Webkit.

We owe a great debt to many open source projects, and we’re committed to continuing on their path. We’ve used components from Apple’s WebKit and Mozilla’s Firefox, among others — and in that spirit, we are making all of our code open source as well. We hope to collaborate with the entire community to help drive the web forward.

Google's Chrome based on Apple's Webkit

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Update:

US-CERT is aware of a vulnerability that affects the Google Chrome web browser. This vulnerability is due to a default configuration that allows files to be downloaded without prompting the user. In addition, downloaded files can be opened with a single click, which could allow a user to inadvertently open a malicious file.

FavBrowser.com

I've read on various sites that Google has also changed the EULA for Chrome, it now reads:

11. Content license from you
11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services.

instead of:

11. Content licence from you
11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights that you already hold in Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content, you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free and non-exclusive licence to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services. This licence is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Everything (well, almost) you wanted to know about Chrome but were afraid to ask

Chrome Tips and Tricks

top topics

<<   2 >>

join