It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Alaskan Experience

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
First let me say that I have no real opinion on the McCain-Palin issue aside from the fact that I just like to look things up to satisfy my own warped interest in playing around with numbers. I'm sure someone else can do the same with the Obama-Biden camp. I was just curious as to where Alaska fits into the big picture of the US as a whole. These stats are easy to find on Google or Wikipedia. Don't get mad, I'm just having a little fun, ATS can be so depressing if you take all these diverse posts seriously.

Alaska ranks #48 in states by population (670,000), just ahead of N. Dakota and Vermont.

House Of Representatives 1, Electoral College 3.

If Alaska were a city it would rank somewhere around #20, between Charlotte, NC (672,000) and Baltimore, MD (638,000).

53% of Alaska's total population lives in the Metro Anchorage area (360,000).

Capital of Juneau (31,00).

Washington, D.C. population (588,000) 12% less than Alaska total.

My summation, again this is just for fun now (if you knew me you would understand that I have way too much time on my hands):

47 Governors and 19 Mayors have more fiscal and legislative responsibility than the Governor of Alaska.

Martha, says hello. I already had my pills today.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by zlots331

Based simply upon demographics and the size of the state, one could also argue that Joe Biden is on the low end of the legislative responsibility totem pole. How many people does Delaware have? 850,000?

I know you're being somewhat facetious and so am I. There's more to it than this on both sides. Just saying...this particular argument can cut both ways.

[edit on 2-9-2008 by vor78]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by zlots331
47 Governors and 19 Mayors have more fiscal and legislative responsibility than the Governor of Alaska.

And yet the governor of Alaska has more responsibility than every Senator in the U.S. Senate.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
As a former resident of Alaska....Fairbanks area....

Alaska also has a LARGE military presence in Anchorage and Faibanks (2nd largest city).

Also, gets REEEEEALY cold there

Will think of some other things to add

[edit on 9/2/2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I was raised in Alaska
But I never got that far North

I have lived in Petersburg,Wrangell,Pt Baker,Juneau and some Islands in between.
I was just a child (I was 12 when I left)and we spent most of our time on fishing boats and logging camps on the Islands .So not sure what all I could add .

Except its very expensive to live there
You have to wait along time to get anything when you order something from the states.
It is very cold .Although my cousin still lives there and she says it has been warming up so much in the last several years that its really different there now than it was when I was a child.
Also the fishing is very bad since there is some problems with the Oceans (She isnt sure whats going on with that but fish by the thousands floating dead sometimes in the bay where we lived)
Fruits and vegetables are scarce
I did get to meet John Wayne in person when he came in with the produce boat to our Island to sell us fruits etc ............
I could call her and ask any questions yall may want to know
Although she is on an Island she may not know much .

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I spent a summer in Anchorage playin C&W in the honky tonks.

Hard drinkin bunch of people. And HUGE mosquito's!!

Sarah Palin must be the most attractive woman in the whole state!!

new topics

top topics

join