It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sarah Palin, AIP Membership? Alaska First!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Apparently Sarah Palin is a former member of the Alaskan Independence Party, a fringe group advocating Alaskan independence from the united states.

I say "former" though she did speak via sattelite at their most recent annual gathering.

This according to AIP party officials, though McCain's camp is denying it.

The AIP's Motto "Alaska first", McCain's slogan "America First"...Ironic

Their founder, Joe Vogler, said..""I'm an Alaskan, not an American. I've got no use for America or her damned institutions."

Acording to the AIP's vice chairman, Dexter Carter, AIP members must "infiltrate" -- his words -- the other two parties and push for the cause of Alaskan independence.

She apparently loves this country so much that she wants Alaska to cede from the union!

Was this woman vetted at all?

ABC News...
blogs.abcnews.com...

New York Times..
opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...

[edit on 2-9-2008 by maybereal11]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

This seems to be a fast breaking story. I will be interested to see how this is spun by the GOP. A little vetting could have saved them a lot of headaches.

McCain only met her once before picking her as a running mate. I don't get it.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I've read a bit about the AIP when I was reading up on Palin. I've gotten the impression that it's not really a "fringe" group at all, but a party with some pretty sound arguments.

And just to clear something up about them, they're main goal isn't secession, the goal is to get the vote they were entitled to in the 50s before they became a state. This vote would determine if they would become their own nation, become a commonwealth, remain a territory, or become a state.

Big reasoning for this is that the only vote they had was "Alaska a state? yes or no." Not the full range of options they were entitled to.

Another point I came across is that they state around 40,000 US servicemen were stationed in Alaska along with 36,000 of their dependents. As long as they were at least 19 they were given a vote. With a vote that was about 40,000 for statehood and 8,000 i think it was against, you can see how this would be a concern.

Straight from the horse's mouth.

For her political affiliations regarding which parties she belonged to (which I could honestly care less about), here is the Wiki article on her. While I'm not using the wiki itself as "evidence," I'm suggesting you follow their sources as well.

Side note: I personally don't like to see blogs used as "credible sources" because a blog is just one's own opinion put to the web. A lot like an opinion section in a newspaper. One person's opinion. All it is.

Another side note... I do think Palin is quite good lookin too

[edit on 2-9-2008 by Shaker]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
A little more crap slung at the wall by the media. Too bad, she's been a Republican since 1982. They provided the official Alaska State documents today proving it:

Link

I'm sure someone will be along shortly claiming that they're fakes.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Shaker

Thanks for the further information on the Alaska Independence Party.

I checked out wikipedia as you suggested and this is what it says about the AIP...

Joe Vogler began arguing about the validity of the Alaskan statehood vote in 1973. Early in that year, he began circulating a petition seeking support for SECESSION of Alaska from the United States.

party members have also proposed that the state explore the possibility of joining Canada. Other members have expressed opposition to joining Canada in its present form but are open to the possibility of joining an independent Western Canadian state in the event one should be established. Neither of these scenarios form part of the party's current platform.
----

You have a point about citing Blogs and I thank you for pointing that out.
Though technically the article I cited was a "blog" written by an ABC News' Senior National Correspondent based in the network's Washington bureau.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
A little more crap slung at the wall by the media. Too bad, she's been a Republican since 1982. They provided the official Alaska State documents today proving it:

Link

I'm sure someone will be along shortly claiming that they're fakes.

I don't think anyone is disputing that she registered republican early in her career. There is nothing in the "Alaska Independence Party" that prohibits members from joining other parties. In fact they encourage this as a strategy of expanding influence and furthering the agenda of Alaskan Independence.

Edit to add text from my original post....
Acording to the AIP's vice chairman, Dexter Carter, AIP members must "infiltrate" -- his words -- the other two parties and push for the cause of Alaskan independence.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Here is a link to another article

John McCain's running mate Sarah Palin was in Alaskan independence party

www.telegraph.co.uk... tml

* Evidently the link doesn't work, Its getting cut short for some reason .. just make sure to there is an "html" on the end of the link and it will take you there.

And from their website..
GOALS
1) Remain a Territory.
2) Become a separate and Independent Nation.
3) Accept Commonwealth status.
4) Become a State.

And concerning choice #4....from Wikipedia:The Alaskan Independence Party maintains that Alaska's vote for statehood is "invalid" because "the people were not presented with the range of options available to them" and because "federal government has since breached the contract for statehood".

That leaves shades of Seccession. I am not knocking it, but if the woman who is going to be a "heartbeat away from becoming president" endorsed/endorses (she spoke at last years convention) a platform of seccession from the USA, what does that say about her faith in and commitment to the UNITED states?

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
And it continues....Though the McCain campaign denied it evidence continues to emerge that she was in fact a member...

Again...who vetted her?

Wiki:
Lynnette Clark, the chair of the AIP, told ABC News that current Alaska Governor Sarah Palin, the presumptive 2008 Republican Party nominee for Vice President of the United States, had been a member of the party in the 1990s, and had attended the state party's 1994 convention, a year after party founder and would-be secessionist Joe Vogler died.[6][7] Palin recorded a message welcoming party members to its 2008 convention as part of her duties as Governor of Alaska.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

I'm just trying to help people stay informed
The majority of people only read what's printed and make an opinion it seems... Many would take the OP and say that the AIP is a "fringe group" that only wants to seperate from the Union, Palin was one of them, vote Obama. So before this gets used as yet another smear tactic I was just hoping to shed some light on the subject and show that they aren't bad and have some genuine concerns regarding how they became a state in the first place.

Stated goals of AIP

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
If this is true I love her even more.

Alaska never should have got suckered into the catastrophe that is these United States in the first place. If any state pulls out (for reason which reflect my own) I'm moving in ASAP.

Woo-hoo dump McCain, I want President Palin!

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Alaska never should have got suckered into the catastrophe that is these United States in the first place. If any state pulls out (for reason which reflect my own) I'm moving in ASAP.

Like I said...If Alaska wants out of the union, then I am not sure I have issue with that. If Palin endorses the idea...then she should remain Govenor of Alaska and not run for VP of the United States.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Like I said...If Alaska wants out of the union, then I am not sure I have issue with that. If Palin endorses the idea...then she should remain Govenor of Alaska and not run for VP of the United States.

The only real way to know if Alaska wants out is to allow the vote the AIP is pushing for. From what I've read, Alaska would be better off outside of the union anyway.

Now before anyone misunderstands anything I say here, I don't advocate secession just for the sake of disagreement. I do know that the Federal Government oversteps it's bounds constantly and is no longer answerable to anyone. They just want to give the people of Alaska the choice. There's nothing wrong with that.

At least that's how I see things currently...

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
This is just another smear by the Obama media. Isn't it amazing how it seems like their almost personally threatened by the VP choice?

Here is her voting registration:

hotair.cachefly.net...

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Dronetek

Dronetek...Have you read the posts or the original posting? YES she registered Republican..AND she was a member of the AIP.

SHE CAN BE BOTH. THE AIP ENCOURAGES IT. NO ONE IS DISPUTING THAT SHE REGISTERED REPUBLICAN.

You are pretending that this answers the fact that she was a member of the AIP and spoke at their most recent convention.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Dronetek

Here you go DRONE...since you are obviously not reading the thread and just posting irrelevant images...

From a few posts up...

Originally posted by maybereal11

I don't think anyone is disputing that she registered republican early in her career. There is nothing in the "Alaska Independence Party" that prohibits members from joining other parties. In fact they encourage this as a strategy of expanding influence and furthering the agenda of Alaskan Independence.

Edit to add text from my original post....

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Why would she adresse the AIP convention in 2008 if she didn't agree with the,www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Her husband, Todd was a member as well up until 2002. When he changed his reg to "Undeclared"..

Very interesting.....

Palin is Not VP material in any way, shape or form.

All those who don't want to be informed of the truth see is "Oh, a somewhat cute spunky woman. Let's vote for McCain!".

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I see McCains VP selection going like this:

"If Obama chooses candidate A, we go with our Candidate #1"
"If Obama chooses candidate B, we go with our Candidate #2"
"If Obama chooses candidate C, we go with our Candidate #3"
"If Obama chooses candidate D, we go with our Candidate #4"

Obama chose Biden. A very tough man, who's a VERY Good debator

what better competitor than a woman, who the republican party can retort "unfair, be easy on a woman" during teh debates when biden tears her up

they have already started making accusations of ANY CRITISISMS against Palin as "unfair and sexist"

Just ask Mr. Carville from CNN. He said she's inexperienced because of her position as Governor and mayor

he was called a sexist and told "thats offensive to women" and "This has nothing to do with Palins baby!!!"

...who mentioned womanhood or a baby.... seriously?

Pathetic

[edit on 9/2/2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin

they have already started making accusations of ANY CRITISISMS against Palin as "unfair and sexist"

Karma's a bitch... (sorry, is that sexist?)

Seriously, it is what one might call poetic justice considering all the times the Obama campaign played the race card in the primaries. Maybe McCain's campaign saw how effective the race card was in getting blacks to vote for Obama and thought they'd try it with women.

I mean blacks make up only 10% of the population, give or take, but women make up over 50%. Blacks won the primaries for Obama, and now women are going to win the general election for McCain/Palin.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

Sounds like you have some issues with race, yourself.
Poetic Justice? Are you a comedian?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join