It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The GOP and Sex ED

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

How will I deal with it? EASILY. I will TALK to her.

Oh, and im not one of those Christians who believes one should wait to have sex until one is married. But I should hope my daughter will be more cautious then many out there. And I will be open with her and be here for her.

I think Communication and Honesty is key.

I also don't believe that you necessarily should wait until marriage to have sex, However I do believe it has many benefits for those that choose to wait.

When doing the sex talk with our daughter, we never told her that she should wait until marriage to have sex, but we did stress the benefits of waiting and also the consequences that could come from not guarding her body and heart. In fact, I told her that sex was fun but that it was best when shared between 2 people that were totally committed to each other (wether she waits until she is married or when she is older and in a committed relationship is up to her, just like my parents couldn't make the decision for me as to when I had sex, I can't make it for her but just hope I'm giving her enough information and open communication so she can make the best decision for herself)

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by MsFab

I think Communication and Honesty is key.

I also don't believe that you necessarily should wait until marriage to have sex, However I do believe it has many benefits for those that choose to wait.

When doing the sex talk with our daughter, we never told her that she should wait until marriage to have sex, but we did stress the benefits of waiting and also the consequences that could come from not guarding her body and heart. In fact, I told her that sex was fun but that it was best when shared between 2 people that were totally committed to each other (wether she waits until she is married or when she is older and in a committed relationship is up to her, just like my parents couldn't make the decision for me as to when I had sex, I can't make it for her but just hope I'm giving her enough information and open communication so she can make the best decision for herself)

I agree with everything you said and that is how I feel and will try and express that to her. You just worded it MUCH better then me

You (and your husband) sound like great parents!

ps
your local says "Big D". I am from there too

[edit on 9/2/2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I think that when it comes to parenting, it's sometimes best to maybe not tell them 'don't do this, don't do that', but explain to them the pros and cons of certain choices and behaviors and to make them fully informed and aware of the good and bad consequences that can come from their decisions and then allow them to choose certain things for themselves.

But we've made our kids fully aware that the good or bad consequences that they recieve from any of their actions are fully their responsibility. Wether they choose to speed and get a speeding ticket, they must pay for it. Wether they choose to have sex and it result in a pregnancy, neither me or their dad will be raising a grandchild (I'm a stay at home mom and feel that I am spending my time raising the children that I chose to have and that when they are grown that will be 'my' time to do what I choose and not time for me to be raising grandkids, but rather enjoy the grandkids as not my responsibility but my darlings to spoil).

My parents drilled it into me that I was not supposed to have sex until I was married, however when you are young and find that guy that you just can't imagine life without sometimes your hormones get the best of you and despite what your parents tell you, you have to make the choice for yourself. I chose sex, it did result in a pregnancy, however sadly it resulted in a miscarriage. After the miscarriage my parents didn't talk about the pregnancy because I think they felt it was 'for the best' since I wasn't married, however I still saw it as a loss and was fully prepared to take on the responsibility of the choice I had made that resulted in the pregnancy. Six months after that I did marry my then boyfriend and we've now been happily married for almost 16 years with two beautiful babies (well, not really babies since they are both taller than me now)

I can't stand that people are commenting that Palin is a failure as a parent because she has an unwed pregnant daughter. Her daughter is the one that chose to have sex and she is of the age to make that decision for herself.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by dbates

I can't believe that FDA chart! Obviously abstinence is the only method of birth control which is 100% effective, which is what they taught us in sex ed, but I had no idea condoms weren't 99% effective like the box says.

Regarding the OP, the only thing I agree with is that it is not politically correct to admit that teens and sometimes even preteens will have sex. However, I believe it is a razor thin line between educating youngsters about safe sex and promoting birth control for people who aren't even old enough to drive a car or vote. Schools rarely have the surefootedness or grace to walk such a line.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Some people whom call themselves conservatives appear to abhor sex ed, but so do some people that call themselves democrats, what they both share are a love for fascism born out of sexual repression.

They form the feminine masses that Hitler so adored and the french writer Gustave Le Bon wrote about in his book "the Crowd" of which Wilhelm Reich further elaborated upon in his "Mass psychology of Fascism" of which was banned by the Nazis in the 30's and the US in the 50's.

That kids have sex seems to not appear much of a surprise to most educated people or people unafraid of the truth.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
Here's what they should teach children. Condoms are barely more effective than the withdrawal method. Seriously.

Withdrawal 4% - 19% pregnancy rate.

Condoms 3% - 14% pregnancy rate.

Abstinence 0% pregnancy rate.

OR

When used properly and consistently, condoms are 98 percent effective in preventing pregnancy. This means that in one year's time, two couples out of 100 who use condoms will have an unintended pregnancy. (1)

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Yeah, abstinence works...

Also, Palin taught her daughter Abstinence, that worked real well didn't it?

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 04:18 AM
link   

DO YOU THINK it's OKAY for two 12 year olds to have consentual SEX?

If they have the maturity to make an informed decision and fully understand the consequences, then YES.

I was lucky. My parents were very open aout sex to bothmyself and my siblings - it was never a taboo subject at home so the failing of the educational system ( Educated in the USA) regarding reproductive health and sexuality didn't effect me. When I made the informed decsion at 17 to have sex for the first time I knew exactly what I was doing.

Sadly - a lot of kids don't have the that same education at home as I did. So if we depend on an abstinence first program to educate them then that is all they get.

Yes, as others have pointed out, abstinence works 100% in preventing pregnancy and disease, but how realistic is it to expect young people to abstain? I might be more open to abstinence programs if they at least talked about an alternative to sexual intercourse ( masterbation ).

We ARE sexual beings. Sex IS good.

Sex education should be about teaching young people the consequences of not making an informed and educated decision regarding their sex lives. Abstinence should be taught as ONE of the roads in which you can take your sexuality, not the only road.

[edit on 3-9-2008 by Merigold]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Also, to the guy who said 12 year olds, you realize that the Virgin Mary was most likely 11-12 years old when married right? But this was when 18 was middle age and they got married early. Not that Abstinence did her much good did it?

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
No reply to my picture or the facts of history? Sad. I guess they're off to drag a gay couple to death because they weren't Abstinent.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   

I think sex ed should be required starting in 9th grade.

Good point, but let's turn that 9 upside-down ---> 6th Grade.
9th grade is too late.

...weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Krieger
No reply to my picture or the facts of history? Sad. I guess they're off to drag a gay couple to death because they weren't Abstinent.

Your picture is humorous, but as not everyone believes in the VM, it's sort of pointless isn't it. It's not like she was a real person working for the FDA and then BAM pregnant by god. Very humorous, but completely irrelevant.

As an aside, you have issues, Krieger. Issues with hate. Of Republicans. It is really sad that you honestly believe that every single Republican is a hate-filled war-mongering gay-bashing redneck. YOU are the one who is filled with hate because you are unable to see past the label of Republican. There are good people in any group (and good people in every single state, including the red ones) and it's pathetic that you are so completely indoctrinated, so completely controlled to the point that you cannot see that.

It doesn't make you look like a humorous, well informed guy, which you possibly may be, to make cracks like that about a particular group. It only does you a disservice. Hopefully one day you will have the maturity to see the error of your discrimination.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

I think sex ed should be required starting in 9th grade.

Good point, but let's turn that 9 upside-down ---> 6th Grade.

Oh my goodness, if I had just now talked to my 9th grade son about sex then I wouldn't consider myself a good parent! I think the talk needs to come before they start hearing things from other kids. We had 'the talk' with both our kids their summer right after 5th grade. You would be surprised how young kids are when they start talking about sex.

I think each parent should talk openly and honestly with their child before they enter middle school. I don't think it should be up to the school system. Schools should not have to pick up the pieces for where the parents aren't doing their job.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uniceft17
Minors are going to have sex, abstinence doesn't work, but even with the facts shoved in their face they still don't agree with it?

Just face it, their is no such thing as abstinence to the average American teen, (or any teen as a matter of fact) so they should be educated on the consequences of unsafe sex.

Okay, I think you're lacking a little faith for the teenager population here. Yes, I have to admit, there is so much vile crap in todays society that it is pretty much impossible for teenagers to get away from the notion that "yes, casual sex is okay." If you listen to your average "popular" radio station for just 10 minutes, you will find most of the songs (evidently ganster rap or hip-hop) will promote casual and dangerous sex. You watch TV, and you see the same thing. Heck, there is a movie coming out called "Young People Fu**ing"! What have we come to? Something as precious and intimate as you can get has been skewed and twisted to make it look like something you do to have fun, put on the same plain as Drinking and Drugs. It is disgusting.

But like I said before, you lack faith in the teenagers of today. There is a movment for change, although small. I am one of them. (Yes, I am a teenager
) I'll get a bit personal here. Me and my girlfriend have been going out for almost 2 years, very long for such young people I guess you could say. But we are both avid believers in keeping sex something that should be confined within marriage. But most people would say that's just because of the religion we believe. Now, I would admit that yes, our religious belief system is a major influence in how we play out our lives, but when it comes to having sex or not having sex, there is so much more than just religion. It's about the amount of gain versus the amount of loss if one (or two in this case) would commit such actions. From my own point of view, there is so much to be lost if I were to partake in such actions as opposed to not having sex. Sex, when outside of marriage, is such a risking thing because of what can happen. Not only can you contract STD's, which is probably the most obvious thing to all teenagers (risk of dissaease) but also what happens if she gets pregnant? Sometimes "safe sex" is not enough, and people screw up. Then, you have a baby when your 17 and the entire course of your life is thrown off. I haven't even thouched on the emotional side of this issue yet, but I will.

Teenagers who are granted such glorious privileges such as education and a good home and good parents, a part-time job, money, and other luxuries should take advantage of this, but not in a bad way. We are lucky to have such education systems (yes, one could argue that they are corrupt, bias, and falling apart, but let's think positive for a little bit.) are granted such a bright future. University, collage. But in our society today, we are thrown constant messages and lies telling us to "live for what feels good" and "live for the moment." I find this all BS. No, we do not need to constantly worry about tomorrow, or next year, but we need to consider where we will be in that time. So many teenagers are out doing drugs and partying, living for the now, doing what will make them happiest in the next 24 hours instead of striving to create themselves a bright future. Sure, me and my girlfriend are sacrificing having a good time now, but at the cost of what? Our futures will be brighter? We won't be at risk of diseases or Pregnancy, or extreme, un-necessary emotional attachment?

Our society needs to become aware not just of the physical risks of sex, because that is what people are already striving for, but the emotional risks, and long term amounts of EPIC FAIL that pregnancy and sex can cause, making people want to obstain, or at the very least, make a logical decisicion based on something other than hormones before they do such an action.
If you're going to have sex for the very first time, there will be something inside of you that will stay with that person forever, weather they will be your future spouse or not, and for that, I believe, it would damage someone like myself.

I don't want my future screwed up, I don't want my body screwed up, and I don't want my relationships with friends, family, God, or my girlfriend screwed up. To me, sex looks so much more appealing within the context of marrige, and that is what needs to be taught. None of this "Oh, well if your committed and it feels right, then do what feels good" BS. But, if no one listens, then prepare for increased birthrates, and higher diseases amung sexually active peoples. Life is survival of the fittest, and if people want to screw up their lives in such ways, emotionally and physically, they can't complain when their stuck at their fast-food job making minimum wage, just trying to keep food on the table for their girlfriend and baby, barely able to make ends meet.

I tell you, teen sex leads to so much more than just a good time.
I have respect for my girlfriends body, and she has respect for mine. We have bright futures together, and we don't want anything to screw it up. I for one, will not let corrupt Holly-wood society influence me.
My $0.02

[edit on 123030p://333 by For(Home)Country]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Sex education is one facet of a healthy education in the human body for many reasons.

1) Public Health - This is important for all people, not just kids. There should certainly be some form of education about basic cleanliness, body mechanics, biological functions including pregnancy and the associated subjects, etc.

2) It's known now that the vast majority (practically all) people have sex before they are married and a very large majority before they are 20, so let's cut the crap.

People have sex, they will have sex, and they will like it much like you do (unless you are terribly scarred, screwed up, or handicapped in some way).

3) Our prudish culture about sex is so stupid, counter-productive, and nonsensical that I almost can't believe it. We all seem to be in denial. This can only change with a serious dialog about sex and relationships that does NOT include burying our heads and hoping that people just won't do it if we tell them enough times.

This dialog needs to happen early at home and early at school.

I recently explained the mechanics of how a baby is made with biological terms and such with my almost 8 year old.

Yeah, just about 8 years old in 2nd grade. That's the right time to start so it is not something taboo which is uncomfortable to talk about and not an item of shame.

4) Abstinence should be discussed for it's merits, but it is simple one facet of the conversation.

5) Many Christians (not all by any means) and other puritanical folks need to be soundly verbally stomped and openly mocked for even entering such draconian thoughts into the marketplace of reasonable people (this includes thoughts on homosexuals, polygamy, and other sexual undesirables).

Sex education at school is important, but it is one thing of many that will adjust this problem.

[edit on 3-9-2008 by KrazyJethro]

[edit on 3-9-2008 by KrazyJethro]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Well, I'm glad that I have at least half a decade before I need to address this issue with my daughter. I'm of the opinion that sex education is as effective in reducing incedents of STD's and pregnancy as DARE education is at reducing incedence of drug use. At best it can be said to make one aware of potential hazards of a potential actions, and at worse it can be said to give just enough information to lead one to believe they are making an informed choice with a calculated risk.

I don't think anyone will disagree that the biology of how a baby is make can be address within the scope of a science class at a relatively early age. The emotional and psychological consequences from sex are less suitable to be addressed by a system that does such a poor job of teaching children to read and perform simple math. There seems to have been a moevement from a certain segment of our society to attempt to remove any consideration to sex other than the need for gratification.

I'm looking for some sort of info, that doesn't have a ideological bias, comparing rates of pregnancy/STD infection between school systems that have abstinance only instruction and the "full Monty" (free condoms, graphic instruction). I would venture to guess that if you looked at two school systems with similar demographics but different sex-ed philosophies you'd find very little difference between incedence of teenage pregnancy and STD infection, and if that's the case why waste money on a sex-ed program when it could be better spent on more traditional academic endeavor.

As far as teaching how to use a condom properly, it's on the package and if you've taught them to read there is no need for a waste of time in the classroom. I imagine most teenage boys will give it a dry run when they buy their first pack anyway. It doesn't take a teacher with a bannanna to teach something that can be easilly learned in the privacy of your own bedroom with a little self gratification.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jefwane
Well, I'm glad that I have at least half a decade before I need to address this issue with my daughter. I'm of the opinion that sex education is as effective in reducing incedents of STD's and pregnancy as DARE education is at reducing incedence of drug use. At best it can be said to make one aware of potential hazards of a potential actions, and at worse it can be said to give just enough information to lead one to believe they are making an informed choice with a calculated risk.

I don't think anyone will disagree that the biology of how a baby is make can be address within the scope of a science class at a relatively early age. The emotional and psychological consequences from sex are less suitable to be addressed by a system that does such a poor job of teaching children to read and perform simple math. There seems to have been a moevement from a certain segment of our society to attempt to remove any consideration to sex other than the need for gratification.

I'm looking for some sort of info, that doesn't have a ideological bias, comparing rates of pregnancy/STD infection between school systems that have abstinance only instruction and the "full Monty" (free condoms, graphic instruction). I would venture to guess that if you looked at two school systems with similar demographics but different sex-ed philosophies you'd find very little difference between incedence of teenage pregnancy and STD infection, and if that's the case why waste money on a sex-ed program when it could be better spent on more traditional academic endeavor.

As far as teaching how to use a condom properly, it's on the package and if you've taught them to read there is no need for a waste of time in the classroom. I imagine most teenage boys will give it a dry run when they buy their first pack anyway. It doesn't take a teacher with a bannanna to teach something that can be easilly learned in the privacy of your own bedroom with a little self gratification.

If you wait "half a decade" to start teaching your daughter, you may be too late.

If you are expecting some boy to know how to put on a condom when your daughter chooses to have sex, you may end up a very surprised grandparent. Your daughter should also know this, and NOT EXPECT A TEEN BOY TO KEEP HER SAFE. You can imagine all the "dry runs" you want, but are you going to allow your imagination to be what keeps your daughter from getting pregnant? Good luck with that one.

Uhm...I imagine that my daughter will not have sex until she is 26, after she has her education and after she has her career going well, let's see how far we get with that one.

I believe sexual education should really just be a part of life, started at a very early age with appropriate age related responses to their questions/curiosity. This way children do not come to feel that sexuality is a taboo subject.

If they understand that it is safe to talk with a parent about sex then they will come to you with their concerns, hopefully.

I feel that if you start to teach your children from a very very young age how to make good decisions, then they will be more likely to make safe sexual decisions as well. I believe that sexuality is not just about having sex, but that is is also about making choices in life, if you have taught your children to make good choices (ie: giving them opportunities to make choices from very early on), then they will be more likely to make choices that are appropriate and healthy.

We cannot expect our teens to make safe, healthy choices about their sexuality if we keep on "imagining" someone else will "know". We have to teach our children from the very beginning about choices, what happens when they make a choice, and the natural consequences of those choices be they good or bad.

At the same time we have to be willing to make sure they have as much information available to them as possible, so they can make INFORMED decisions.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Maybe we are looking at this from the wrong point of view. Maybe instead of teaching the kids we should teach the adults.

Maybe this would reduce the number of abortions, produce better parents who are willing to be responsible for taking care of their kids, reduce the number of sexually transmitted diseases, and help parents better explain to their kids what sex is all about.

Just a thought. Many adults are doing the same things that they want our schools to teach our children not to do.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I think the main problem is that we stigmatize sex. Safe sex, unsafe sex, its all the same in our societies eyes dirty and unnatural(couldnt be farther from the truth).

What we should do is make sex less villianized and teach both safe sex and abstinance, because yes kids will still have sex so we should teach the ones who do have sex to be safe about it. But we should teach kids that sex is an important part of life that isnt for kids to participate in.

Thats what I think is the real problem, you get every adult on earth telling you that sex is bad sex is bad dont have sex you have kids and ruin your life or you will get a horrible STD and ruin your life, and sex will pretty much ruin your life. Now I dont know about you guys but I like sex, Everyone on earth likes sex(almost everyone atleast) so what you are trying to teach, sex is evil, and what you believe,sex is great, are two completely different things.

My personal belief is that as long as you love the person and you know and feel that you love them, and youre both ready then go for it but be safe. The only kind of sex we should villianize is promiscuous sex, sex that isnt out of love but out of want or desire. Strangely enough thats the only kind of sex we see in the media, Husbands cheating on wives, wives on husbands, sexy young adults having sex with anything that moves, music videos are the worst rap artists singing about multiple partners, slutty teen pop stars posing nude in pictures, and being overly sexy in music videos.

You want to teach kids the right way, take promiscuous sex out of the media for one.

[edit on 3-9-2008 by caballero]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by caballero[/i
You want to teach kids the right way, take promiscuous sex out of the media for one.

I don't know what planet you live on but here on earth....SEX SELLS!!!

As long as the free market operates, items are manufactured and marketed and consumers buy said products...the MSM is going to be one
big sexual, hedonistic free for all because of the greed and commercialism
inherent in the free market system.

Personally sex and the human body to me is a beautifu creation of GOD.
And I would rather live in a free society where sex can be expressed than somewhere that eveything is controlled by the state like communist China.

It's a brave new world, welcome to the monkey house!!!

[edit on 3-9-2008 by whaaa]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join