It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The GOP and Sex ED

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Why is MOST of the GOP against sex ed but for abstinence? Isn't it time to quit being so politically corect on this issue. Minors are going to have sex, abstinence doesn't work, but even with the facts shoved in their face they still don't agree with it? If they wanted less abortions (since you can't stop abortions all together) wouldn't it be logical to teach minors about safe sex, and the responsiblities that come along with it if you screw up? Face it, their are alot of parents out their that will not talk to their kids about this, and alot of kids that don't want to talk to their parents about this, I think sex ed should be required starting in 9th grade.

Just face it, their is no such thing as abstinence to the average American teen, (or any teen as a matter of fact) so they should be educated on the consequences of unsafe sex.

And yes this should be taught in the home, but the truth is this doesn't cross alot of parents minds untill it's too late, and alot of kids just don't want to talk to their parents about this kind of stuff. This is a very sensitive subject for alot of people, I had a brother die from AIDS last year because he wasn't educated in this subject, my parents were the conservatives that just wouldn't talk about it.

This thread is probably going to push alot of peoples buttons but people really need to think about this.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Uniceft17
Why is MOST of the GOP against sex ed but for abstinence?

I'm not even sure how you qualify that statement. In fact, most in the GOP don't favor abstinence, per se, but responsibility for one's own sex life which includes (except certain religions of course) contraceptives, abstinence, birth control drugs and techniques, etc. Sex education is a fundamental part of responsibility, so I'm not sure who the "MOST of the GOP" you're talking about is.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   

abstinence doesn't work

To quote former Secretary of Education Bill Bennett.

"abstinence advocates will say abstinence works every time it's tried, and they're absolutely right about that and that's a very strong position. The distribution of condoms is shown to not be effective."

1:40 into the clip.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Sorry about the emphasis on teaching sex ed, it's an issue very close to my heart, and would be alot more logical to teach, imo.

But most repubs in the Senate and Congress have voted against this issue. That's what I meant to say.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Here's what they should teach children. Condoms are barely more effective than the withdrawal method. Seriously.

Withdrawal 4% - 19% pregnancy rate.

Condoms 3% - 14% pregnancy rate.

Abstinence 0% pregnancy rate.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Sex and reproduction is part of human nature, instead of fighting it they should promote safety.

I get so tired of the stupid double standards when it comes to sex because it makes a good issue for political and religious propaganda.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by dbates

Your fighting nature telling teenagers not to do it. I would be interested to know how many poeple are virgins when they get married?

[edit on 2-9-2008 by yeti101]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Sex and reproduction is part of human nature, instead of fighting it they should promote safety.

So what you're saying is it's okay for 12 year olds to have sex as long as they do it responsibly?

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

Hey, don't blame me. This report is from the U.S. Food and Drug Adminsitration.

If you used them both as specified, you get the same effective result. Condoms have the added drawback of stopping everything to put one on and they can break without you realizing it until it's too late. It's far from perfect.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Why is MOST of the GOP against sex ed but for abstinence?

This is very simple.

I am for teaching my own kids about sex.
I am against having the government teach my kids about sex.

It do not want some ninny bureaucratic or teacher involved in my child's personal sex life.

I send my kids to private schools because the public schools can't even teach math right.

And one more thing... here's the entire sex ed curriculum:

1. If a boy puts his penis inside a girl's vagina, she can get pregnant.
2. If you have sex without a condom you can get nasty diseases.

Do you really need an entire curriculum, or a paid government employee working full-time to teach this?

[edit on 2-9-2008 by jamie83]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I'm personally in favor of sex education. On the job training.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37

So what you're saying is it's okay for 12 year olds to have sex as long as they do it responsibly?

Do you read what you post? because is sounds like the same bs that politicians and religious fundamentalist are trying to promote.

Incredible, let the government and corrupted and dirty religious leaders teach your child the evils of sex.

that will change her or his mind in not time at all.

Deny ignorance don't promote it that is what got this nation so pantie wrapped about sex, abortion and morality.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83

That pretty much sums things up. I guess you could repeat the same thing every day for 6 weeks and call it a class, but there's not much more to say.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Well this is coming from a teenager who has had "unprotected" sex lots of times in my youth. (same girl, i'm not a manwhore)

No matter what anyone (parents, government, teachers) tells us about sex. We are still going to do it.

Its basically all teenage guys think about. So we know pretty much everything there is to know about sex by the time that we are 13. It's all most teenage guys talk about. So we don't need a teacher telling us about it.

The only thing you need to teach kids about sex is how it works and where what goes. After that just let them learn from their peers.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Originally posted by sos37

Do you read what you post? because is sounds like the same bs that politicians and religious fundamentalist are trying to promote.

Incredible, let the government and corrupted and dirty religious leaders teach your child the evils of sex.

that will change her or his mind in not time at all.

Deny ignorance don't promote it that is what got this nation so pantie wrapped about sex, abortion and morality.

Now who's being ignorant? In your zeal to make a rather lame point about institutionalizing rules, you FAILED to answer the question.

I applied YOUR logic to a common situation. You said, "Sex and reproduction is part of human nature, instead of fighting it they should promote safety."

But you don't say anything about promoting abstinence, so I am asking you a DAMN QUESTION. DO YOU THINK it's OKAY for two 12 year olds to have consentual SEX? Again, in case YOU MISSED IT, is not because I represent the Church of Jesus Christ of Holy Where art Thou Ceasar, not because I'm running for Congress, not because I represent Joe Schmoe in district 666, it's because YOUR POST mentions safety and not abstinence.

It's not a hard question and I urge you to put down your political hatred for one second and think about your logic and not your emotions for a change.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83

I am for teaching my own kids about sex.
I am against having the government teach my kids about sex.

It do not want some ninny bureaucratic or teacher involved in my child's personal sex life.

And one more thing... here's the entire sex ed curriculum:

2. If you have sex without a condom you can get nasty diseases.

Do you really need an entire curriculum, or a paid government employee working full-time to teach this?

My thoughts exactly! My husband and I both had very frank and honest discussions with our kids before they started middle school and even since then they know we have open communication around here and will answer any question they have. Though it has led for some interesting dinner conversations (like: what is ejaculation?)

I would much rather my children hear it straight from me, the honest answers along with the consequences (pregnancy, STDs) if they make unwise decisions. I feel that as parents, we should give the children every bit of information they needed and to provide them with the tools and knowledge to make the best decisions.

HOWEVER, a good majority of parents don't feel the need to talk openly with their kids or are embarrassed or whatever else excuse and are fine with their children getting the sex info from other kids, school, etc.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Abstinence DOES WORK. If you ABSTAIN you don't get pregnant nor do you get STDs. That is fact.

I do not want some other adult teaching my daughter about sexual things. No way. No way. Certainly not in this day and age of aggressive predators who somehow get teaching jobs and prey on our children. So my daughter will never attend some sex-ed class at school.

Luckily I am one of those parents who plans on talking to my daughter and keeping an open line of communication and not shunning my daughter for choices she may make - unlike the route my parents took.

I understand many parents are not like this - but like my parents were - so, yes, a single class should be made available for kids whose parents give permission. Dont need more then one class. There is only so much factual information that can be given.

Thing is...abstinence is 100% affective. Birth Control (the pill, condoms, etc) is not 100% affective. THIS is what needs to be taught in any sex-ed classes that are being taught. Abstinence FIRST then options second IMO.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Thing is...abstinence is 100% affective. Birth Control (the pill, condoms, etc) is not 100% affective. THIS is what needs to be taught in any sex-ed classes that are being taught. Abstinence FIRST then options second

How are you going to deal with the question..."Mom were you abstinent"

"Well then you can't tell me what to do. I love him"

The real world is often quite different than some pie in the sky ideology.

There are so many guitar playin, tattooed, handsome, confident young men around. They are the people that teach the "real" sex education to young women. Abstinence....right

"Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore"

[edit on 2-9-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I am sure we could find teachers like Pamela Rogers to teach the sex ed classes.

Hell why not throw in a couple of prostitutes in there to speak from experience.

Maybe a show and tell day.

I personally believe it is my duty to educate my children about sex not the school.

If we allow them to teach sex ed why not allow them to teach that God created the world? My opinion of sex ed and the government could be just as different as whether or not God created the world.

We teach kids not to use tobacco, drugs, or alcohol. Is this not called abstinence also?

Or should we teach them how to use tobacco, drugs, and alcohol so they should be educated on the consequences of unsafe usage?

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

How are you going to deal with the question..."Mom were you abstinent"

"Well then you can't tell me what to do. I love him"

How will I deal with it? EASILY. I will TALK to her.

1. I didnt have sex until I was nearly 19...for a few reasons. I will tell her this.

2. I will tell her: I would love for you to WAIT and ABSTAIN for these reasons (and tell her the reasons). BUT if you CHOOSE not to, I will be here for you. (and then tell her how to protect herself). I will never NOT teach her how to protect herself.

I will do 100% opposite of what my parents did.

Oh, and im not one of those Christians who believes one should wait to have sex until one is married. But I should hope my daughter will be more cautious then many out there. And I will be open with her and be here for her.

[edit on 9/2/2008 by greeneyedleo]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join