It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Titor and the LHC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
A lot of people are currently scared of what the LHC could accomplish or create. Namely, a black hole that will destroy this earth. The 100+ physicists that are working on it say that if it does create a black hole, it will be small and wither away in less than a second.

Now, who remembers the John Titor story? Of course I am very skeptic about all of his claims about time travel and the machine he used. He stated that Cerne (the guys bringing you the LHC) will "accidentally" discover how to make dual-positive singularities and how to contain them. Next week we find out what happens with the LHC as someone with thick glasses and a clipboard flips a switch.

What will you think about John Titor if in fact they do what he says they do? Coincidence? Time Travel? If this actually happens, will you believe his stories about a "Civil War" with nuclear strikes in 2015?

Discuss....

PS- if you don't know about John Titor, click here
and his original posts

Edit - Thanks mods for putting this thread in the right place, i'm still new here

[edit on 2-9-2008 by Sliick]

[edit on 2-9-2008 by Sliick]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I forgot about that...
Well, at least this post is leaning toward a positive outcome of the LHC experiments.

Let´s hope this happens and not a world consuming black hole, right?

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
If it turns out to be like JT said it would, it would be realy astonishing, and i would actually possibly start believing in John Titor. However, seeing as the Hadron Collider has been in the works for 20 years, I cant help but suspect possibly this John Titor character might just be a scientist that has something to do with it, and this is his prediction. He just chose to announce his prediction along with a time-traveling story and blah blah blah.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Sliick

Didn't John Titor state that the 2004 Olympics would be the last? I think that should put any of his predictions in perspective.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I find it extremely hard to believe that J.T. was a real time traveler in the first place. Judging from the rate of current technological advancement, the future world of 2036 will be almost identical to our own. Time traveling humans, at this rate, wil not be around for another 1000 years if ever.
Atom sized black holes may very well be produced by the LHC but I doubt that they will be the harbingers of doom that some have speculated on.
Obviously Titor had some scientific background or his hoax would never have been quite so believable, but his obvious evasiveness when faced with even the most ambiguous questions about future events leaves much room for doubt.
I believe that he is/was a physics undergrad at an institution of higher learning such as M.I.T, or perhaps Princeton. A college of unparalleled reputation in the physics academia like these would be most likely. It is very possible that 'John Titor' was actually more than one person, a collective practical joke by bored college students perhaps, or the idle musing of an aging professor, amusing himself in the closing years of his career.
In Robert Silverbergs' story 'The Masks Of Time', a traveller from the future wreaks havoc on a "primitive" humanity. I suggest that the person claiming to be John Titor was very familiar with works of fiction such as this. J.T. made quite a stir though.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Schmidt1989
If it turns out to be like JT said it would, it would be realy astonishing, and i would actually possibly start believing in John Titor. However, seeing as the Hadron Collider has been in the works for 20 years, I cant help but suspect possibly this John Titor character might just be a scientist that has something to do with it, and this is his prediction. He just chose to announce his prediction along with a time-traveling story and blah blah blah.

you know, i thought of every angle of reason for someone to pull this hoax. i never once considered that. thanks for bringing that to the table

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Well, the civil was was supposed to have already occurred, and the Olympics canceled. Like most prophets he was hit and miss. If he gets this one right, I'd be amazed. Seeing as how it's not the first collider, just the largest, I kind of find it hard to believe we'll get much than what the Physics Theorists believe will happen.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   

according to this video, there is NO SUCH THING as black holes.
From my viewpoint, it seems quite credible.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
great vid! i have always wondered about black holes. mostly because every time i research gravity, all sources state that it is a VERY weak force. i kept thinking, well if gravity is such a wimp, how can it suck in EVERYTHING (including light) from light years away?

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I find this really hard to buy. Titor was disproved for me by his own photographical evidence, in that picture with the bent lazer beam- If the lazer bent, then all light would bend, and that would make for one messed up photo.

Anyway, can anyone even say weather or not this could possibly go the way he says? I don't know nearly enough to make any kind of statement about what he claims.

Photo for reference:

files.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I'm looking forward to seeing what discoveries the LHC will lead to. I find it amazing the amount of coverage it has had recently in the build up to today, considering the amount of discussion that has been generated here and elsewhere.

I have very little faith in Titor and think his tale is just too far fetched.

Interesting point regarding gravity being a weak force. I've never actually thought of that in relation to black holes, but no you mention it, the l'il bits of grey matter still remaining are churing around in confusion.

Peace,

MGGG

BTW - there was a short power outage at work just after 8:30 am this morning - I must confess that my heart did skip a beat LOL. Coincidence?
Who knows...

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
"If The multiple worlds theory is true, and there somehow exists an infinity of universes where somewhere each choice possible gets actualized, as new "worldlines" constantly spin off from one another. Similar wordlines may be thought of as alternate realities in which details may vary slightly if one is not too far from another, but some worldlines may diverge drastically apart. Apparently as Mr. Titor's time machine operates it navigates through these alternate realities, and time travelers try to stay as close to possible to their original worldline, the success of their efforts being measured in percent divergence from their original worldline."

He explains it does this by sampling the local gravity and attempting to adhere to its signature.

So just because things arent dot on doesnt make it false.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Sliick

all sources state that it is a VERY weak force. i kept thinking, well if gravity is such a wimp, how can it suck in EVERYTHING (including light) from light years away?

Well, the equation that describes the gravitational force is:
F = G*M1*M2/R²
G (the gravitational constant) = 6.67*10-11 N-m²/kg² (=Newtons)
m-meters, kg -kilograms
where M1 and M2 are the masses of the two bodies
and R = distance between the two objects
F , of course is very small (or in your terminology, weak) for small masses
and large distances, as you can see from the equation

HOWEVER, since a postulated black hole is EXTREMELY MASSIVE, as a "captive" body gets closer to a black hole, G gets STRONGER by the square of the distance, since R, the distance, is in the denominator.

This equation clearly shows how a body, once within close distance(the event horizon) to a black hole, will literally get sucked in at unimaginable speed. I won't get into the time dilation factor or how relativity factors into what that speed is, but hopefully, the discussion of the gravity equation addresses your concern about the "Weakness" of gravity. It is all relative- no pun intended.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Maybe the LHC false start (trouble) or something else has already change our time line or destiny. Not a nuclear war, just the Iraq situation and an economic meltdown. Time travel might be missed by our mankind.

I actually put very little stock in his predictions and do not believe he was who he stated.

top topics

join