It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ketamine/"special K" use tied to urinary problems?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I've heard a lot of people talk about using ketamine in the past, seemed like some of them did it a lot, (seen it mentioned on ATS ah maybe a few times), but I was surprised when I ran across the following as I had never heard of this before:
[jmedicalcasereports.com...]

and then also:

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...,f1000m,isrctn]

I'm ignorant but I like to speculate so it makes me think maybe ketamine breaks down into some toxic metabolite (or encourages the formation of some toxic chemical by messing with normal processes) and then the effect shows up in the bladder because that's where it pools, once it's been pulled out of swirling around in the blood, it would get a chance to irritate the bladder cells in particular cause it has more hang-time there waiting to be urinated...but anyways...

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
SWIM* has used a lot of ketamine in the past and has no urinary issues to date.

(*SWIM = Someone Who Isn´t Me)

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Psychopump

I would be inclined to agree with SWIM, cause, I figure, if it was a real thing I would already have heard about it...Hence, my surprise and interest in the medical-little-article bits...

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
If you're taking ketemine/special k on a regular basis, your urine is the least of your problems.

Long-term side effects

Main article: Olney's lesions
In 1989, psychiatry professor John Olney reported that ketamine caused reversible changes in two small areas of the rat brain. 40 mg/kg resulted in fluid-filled bags ("vacuoles") appearing inside cells. The bags disappeared after several days, unless high doses of the far more toxic PCP or close relative MK801 were repeatedly given, in which case some cell death was seen. Roland Auer injected monkeys with MK801 and was unable to produce any vacuoles. When Auer was asked in 1998 whether persons undergoing anesthesia with Ketalar were at risk of these changes, his reply was that he doubted that it was even a remote possibility because of fundamental differences in metabolism between the rat and human brain. Ketamine can block excito-toxicity (brain damage due to low oxygen, low sugar, epilepsy, trauma, etc) but it can also excite the brain at low doses by switching off the inhibitory system. Why this isn't damaging in monkeys and humans probably lies in the fact that ketamine binds to an increasingly wide range of different receptors as the dose level rises, and some of these receptors act to shut down the excitement. In humans, by the time a potentially toxic dose is reached, the "excitement window" has been passed and the drug is starting to activate other systems that switch cells off again, a result of ketamine's promiscuity that improves its safety relative to MK801. MK801 binds very specifically to N-P receptors. The other part of the explanation is that rats have rates of brain metabolism that are almost twice as high as those in humans to start with. It is because of this higher base rate of metabolism that ketamine causes over-excitement in rats at doses below those at which it activates shutdown systems.”[56][57][58]

Vutskits et al from Geneva showed that short-term exposure of cultures to ketamine at concentrations of ≥ 20 μg/mL leads to a significant loss of differentiated cells and that non-cell death-inducing concentrations of ketamine (10 μg/mL) can still initiate long-term alterations of dendritic arbor in differentiated neurons, including dendritic retraction and branching point elimination. They also demonstrated that chronic (>24 h) administration of ketamine at concentrations as low as 0.01 μg/mL can interfere with the maintenance of dendritic arbor architecture. These results raise the possibility that chronic exposure to low, subanesthetic concentrations of ketamine, while not affecting cell survival, could still impair neuronal morphology and thus might lead to dysfunctions of neural networks.

wikipedia

Plus it makes people stupider.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Yeah, acquaintance of mine got them Olney's lesions from drinking a whole bottle of various dextromethorphan-cough-syrups at once, three or four days a week,for a couple years, probably...not recommended...( I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time )

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Yeah, that is why it doen´t interest SWIM anymore. It was a phenomenon of SWIM experimental phase. SWIM has no regrets though, and some wonderful memories.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I can't speak for Ketamine, but I can speak from "observational" experience that many drugs do cause urinary problems, especially in males. Stimulants for one, can cause complete kidney breakdown. I would say any toxic chemical can cause a number of problems. I'd think it would have more to do with the individual who is ingesting said chemicals. Add to that what they're mixing (Street drugs, alcohol, nicotine) and you have a recipe for all sorts of disasters, not namely limited to urinary tract, prostate problems. This is strictly observational though and has nothing to do with me.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
SWIM always winces at the thought of having a pee on speed ...........ouch!!

Why K has been singled out is a mystery as amphetamines stop everything flowing to your little guy ??

Oh thats right.......we give Ritalin/amphs to our kids when they are hyper!

Lunacy

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I'll say it lol. I experimented with this stuff once when I was young and stupid.. Very stupid. Anyway, this is interesting to me because I do remember having a bladder infection around the time that I tried this stuff.. I never really gave it much thought until just now.. Just a side note to anyone young and experimenting, STAY AWAY FROM THAT POISON!!!

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
*Hopefully* no one will discover the need to test this in humans.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join