Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Bill Bennett bashes CNN over Bristol Palin coverage!

page: 1

join

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
The coverage that the media is giving Palin is quickly becoming outrageous and its finally someone is speaking out. Bill Bennett went ape poop on CNN last night, calling out a CNN attack on Palin that was nothing but a smear.

People need to wake up and realize that what these networks are feeding us is pure crap and should be ignored.

WOLF BLITZER: Kyra, stand by. We're watching this story. I want Bill Bennett to weigh in. Bill, you heard the two stories, really, totally unrelated: A bitter divorce, a bitter custody battle involving her ex-brother-in-law and sister, and the charge being, she called this commissioner and she pressured him, in effect, to go ahead and fire the trooper. He says that publicly. The trooper was never fired. She denies there was any inappropriate political pressure from the Governor to go ahead and fire her ex-brother-in-law.

BILL BENNETT: This is the kind of story that can be appropriately looked at because this is about ethics, ethics in government. Same kinds of questions people have asked about Barack Obama and Rezko, Barack Obama and Bill Ayres. These are serious questions. This is a question about Sarah Palin. I know it was vetted by the McCain campaign, I know we've all been reading about it.

But that first piece of attack of journalism, Wolf, I got to speak to. We all praised Barack Obama, myself included, for saying, do not use the case of this child to start to beat up Sarah Palin and to use this as an opportunity to make points for the Center for Reproductive Pregnancy [Alliance for Reproductive Rights]. That was really out and out outrageous. That should not happen on CNN.

BLITZER: You know it will, Bill. It will generate- Hold on, you know it will generate a discussion about-

BENNETT: On the blogs

BLITZER: Hold on. It will generate a discussion over those who say abstinence only should be taught versus formal sex education, birth control pills, and all of that. And to have a discussion about those issues is totally appropriate.

BENNETT: Totally appropriate separated from this context. That's to the point. That's what Barack Obama said. Do not drag this girl's situation into having a discussion of that.

BLITZER: But it's going to spark a discussion, a debate which has been around for a long time.

BENNETT: Fine, we'll get in it, I'll get in it. My wife will get in it. These are legitimate issues. She just violated everything -- we all praised Barack Obama.

BLITZER: But hold on. What do you think? Should abstinence be taught or should there be formal sex education taught in school?

BENNETT: There should be formal sex education-

BLITZER: You're a former Secretary of Education.

BENNETT: Absolutely and I know the issues very well. What we should do is what's most effective. Abstinence education I believe, the best programs are the most effective. But these are decisions that can be made at the state level. But that bit of advocacy has no place on CNN and its respectable journalism.

BENNETT: And public policy. The fact that her daughter got pregnant does not refute the public policy decision and we can discuss those separately. But what Barack Obama has -- I'll invoke him again, has asked us to do is not drag that family, that daughter's situation into this public policy discussion.

BLITZER: It's fair enough. But you know that there is going to be a debate now. The whole issue of abstinence.

[edit on 2-9-2008 by Dronetek]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Amusing that the networks seem to be having more and more of these on-air arguements about their position as being objective journalist.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Dronetek

The commie news network.
How is that surprising? Meanwhile, Fox is obviously pro-McCain.

That is the real story. How obviously biased both news networks are and how they just push this two-party system down our throats. You have either choice A or choice B. Where one stands on a particular issue seems to not matter. Labels are the norm.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek

People need to wake up and realize that what these networks are feeding us is pure crap and should be ignored.

[edit on 2-9-2008 by Dronetek]

Yes. Those talking heads on television are full of it...uhh except for Sarah Palin...

From TV Sports anchor to Vice Presidential Candidate
www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
If it was your daughter would you feel her name should be used to talk about this issue?

Obama's daughter?

Biden's daughter?

I don't care whose daughter it is, just leave the girl out of the issue. It can be debated without a poster child.

This bashing on this woman is going to continue until women start emphasizing with Palin and start to feel that a lot of these bashings are nothing more than cheap shots.

new topics

top topics

join