It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The LHC was a bad idea from the start

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
have any of you taken a physics class? apparrently not.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by billyjoinedat2k8
I can see where everyone is coming from but i think its a very dangerous experiment and i think they should do more smaller exoeriments to make sure theyre isnt a big risk but thats unlikely since theyre renacting the most violent time in the history of our universe.

There is no way to "break this experiment down" into smaller ones. The smaller ones have already been done. In fact, the biggest risk that this experiment runs is the possibility of not having enough energy to uncover the so Called "God" particle.

-rrr

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by mdiinican
A golf ball has untold trillions of times more mass, and therefore, gravity, than such a micro black hole.

OMG!!! we have to stop the manufacture of golf balls!!!!!!!!!!!

-rrr

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
OMG really OMG is their any possible way we can get one single sticky lhc hate thread i keep seeing the same thing over and over and over in different threads. I know this is off topic guys but why dont you try searching for threads that already exsist on this subject before posting another that says the same old factless fear based tripe i assure there are atleast 10

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
^ LOL! True!

Dealing with the topic, I do not think it's silly to question this experiment. Anything man touches, anything that man made is subject to error.

A small experiment, that will cause small problems if all goes awry, is nothing of concern. Something as big as this is. The question is...is the risk worth the rewarded? No, I do not think so. Not with something this huge of a deal. The risks may not be small...it may be cataclysmic.

Saying, "I don't think anything bad would happen" doesn't change the fact that anything bad won't happen. Did the Titanic sink? You see my point? Man makes many things...man makes computers, treatments for disease, man makes war, man makes love, man makes a mean apple pie...man also makes mistakes. Mistakes with calculations, mistakes with theories, ideas...hell, some of us are just plain clumsy. Oops...sorry about spilling that coffee all over your PC...my bad. You get my point?

So, we're not counting on the fact that nothing would happen. We're counting on the fact that man makes mistakes. Okay, so...we all admit man makes mistakes, right? Who doesn't agree, can speak so now....

...Good...we all agree. Now, the question is, how big of a mistake can we make with this experiment? How bad could a mistake be? What are the consequences we face if such a mistake is made? And this outweighs anything else we may be able to gain from such an experiment. The saying...better safe than sorry is very, very underrated these days.

The funding for this was what? 4.2 Billion or something like that? I can think of 4.2 billion things we can do with that money that help society and our environment and in no way may pose a threat to our health, or in a worse case scenario...out existence.

[edit on 6-9-2008 by sdrawkcabII]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
The LHC and its safety concerns have been discussed on El Reg quite a lot over the past few weeks, and one person posted this link:

www.telegraph.co.uk.../global/2008/09/05/noindex/scilhc105.xml

Third paragraph in, Professor Brian Cox of Manchester University states "Anyone who thinks the LHC will destroy the world is a ****"

What I like about The Register is the readership/posters usually have a good level of understanding on these things, and a great sense of humour. It was also noted that you statistically have a higher chance of evaporating away whilst shaving, than an Earth ending event being caused by the LHC.

In terms of energy's produced by the LHC, it is but a minuscule speck compared to what the universe normally throws our way. Anyone who worries about this should really try doing some more unbiased research of there own. Read both sides of the story, and come to your own conclusion. Some of the science involved may seem a bit too high level to understand, but there are plenty of websites out there that use simple terms.

I look forward to the switch on of the LHC, as potentially what is discovered could change many theories and create new ones. These could then lead to new technology. It has the potential to unravel the mystery of gravity, and why it is such a weak force compared to others, and hopefully... I can have hoverboots with in my lifetime

So my question is, this time next year, once the LHC has been running at full power for a while, will those that think its a bad idea start a thread along the lines of "We're sorry, we were wrong about this"?

If I'm wrong, I promise to start a similar thread before I become a mass of stranglets/sucked into a black hole/enveloped in a vacuum bubble/crushed by an alien invasion/float of into space due to gravity switching off/vaporised by a large fireball/evaporate whilst shaving*

*delete where applicable

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
They spent six billion dollars in search of the higgs bozon. C'mon... there must be another reason they spent that much money on this thing?

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRooster
They spent six billion dollars in search of the higgs bozon. C'mon... there must be another reason they spent that much money on this thing?

Six billion over 25 years from 20 nations doesn't add up to a whole lot per capita. Mabye something like two dollars per person per year, in the member states in taxes. The US government spends six billion dollars on Iraq every TWO WEEKS. As far as mega projects go, CERN's LHC is among the best, since it will actually benefit mankind.

I certainly wouldn't mind, let alone notice, such an increase, if it's being used for the purpose of the pure sciences.

[edit on 10-9-2008 by mdiinican]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   
They spent 4.2 billion over something like 30 years i think im not sure

but the LHC has just been turned on now anyway and its been a succese so far right now which is great and im glad everyhthing has gone well.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
That £4.4 Billion will be enough to fund the UK's Education system for about 4 weeks, so in reality, it isn't much.

This was also spread across many years and countries, so I can't see what the fuss is over the cost. You just need to see the advances in science from previous particle experiments, and then see what could potentially be discovered from this experiment. Overall, I think £4.4 Billion is a bargain.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
"The LHC was a bad idea from the start"

Gordon Freeman would agree. But should we?

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
The only real tangible fact that seems to be emerging from all of this, is that the CERN experiments are causing an increasing amount of unnecessary stress and worry. Recently an Indian girl committed suicide over fears of the outcome of the experiment.

As technology becomes more advanced we seem to move backwards in moral terms. The world can only be made a better place by accepting the gift of nature and working with it. Curiosity is healthy but not when it is at the expense of causing everyone else pain (albeit mental pain at the moment).

Even if we get lucky with CERN, what else is around the corner?

The world leaders and scientific community have failed in their duty to respect mankind. Scientists no longer respect the opinions of non-scientists. The media is however doing its job, I just hope it's not too late!

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
OHHHHHHHHH MYYYYYYYYYY GOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!

IT BLEW UP THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cadbury
"The LHC was a bad idea from the start"

Gordon Freeman would agree. But should we?

Just don't let the guy push extradimensional crystals into the particle stream, and it should all work out OK.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
tomorow we go at it again

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Particle collisions in our upper atmosphere range up to much higher energies than LHC can generate.

This > All

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by billyjoinedat2k8
I think that the Large Hadron Collider was a really bad idea from the start because:
1. they dont have a clue what its going to do
2. what ever it does its probably going to be bad
i understand they want to do it for science but think about it they're going to re-create the most violent part of the entire universe surely thats cause for concern.

1.They have more then a clue what they are doing, period, if you don't know that then you're displaying and encouraging ignorance...

2. Lol way to speculate about something you know next to nothing about... (or you would not have made this ridiculous thread) google is your friend....

You don't seem to understand what they are trying to do it seems here go watch this documentary from professor Brian Cox

surely they should at least take a little bit more time do a couple more smaller experiments first so they know exactly what they're doing i dont think its right what they're doing now they're practically risking all of our lives.

FYI They have been doing that for years ... there have been more hadron colliders active for years now (2nd largest is Tevatron@fermilab) No one is risking your life m8, if you think that's the case, you're just very uninformed.
In fact, using the Tevatron scientists have detected something never seen (but theorised) before :the top quark (discovered in 1995)

and all the scientists trying to stop it surely should ring some alarm bells because theyre willing to go far to stop this thing from happening.

Which scientist opposes the LHC, show me one (with decent credentials please!) Not some Hoagland dude or other self-proclaimed "professor"
The only people who I've seen opposing the LHC are people who believe the doomdays fantasies about it (it gonna create a blackhole on earth ...LOL) or people who don't know what they are talking about.

God Bless

Ah.... there you have it, am I correct in assuming that is the reason why you think it's a bad idea?

For once and for all, the LHC will and cannot make a black hole which will consume the earth, the LHC is smashing particles together at phenomenal speeds never reached before, to detect things like the theorized Higss Boson
All of this is to come to a theory of everything, which would explain all the physics in the universe. Do you seriously think scientist would put all of our lives on the line just to detect something? That's so ridiculous....

I hope this clears up the confusion you seem to experience concerning the LHC, and i hope that in the future you don't make uninformed whacky threads like this.

The LHC is one of the greatest things science has ever done imho.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
They did it! Wooo Europe rules! In your face the rest of the world! Recorded collisions @ 7 TeV bitches.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join