It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The LHC was a bad idea from the start

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by rawsom

I'll make my bet on the safe side of things. Nothing bad will happen.

how can you say that you dont know whats going to happen either no one does.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by -0mega-
o We will never die, we become immortal.

I think...

We should go with that one.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 04:22 AM
link   
if we do find the "god particle" the bossen-higs after we all helped this is a wolrd wide thing an world wide project can we have a world wide rave a party? i think we deserve it been years since iv'e been to one of em!

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 04:23 AM
link   
don't break reality unless you can but it back together!

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan
I thought the theory of black a hole is that they start feeding. They feed until there is nothing around them to feed anymore. It is too chancy for too little gain.

Science is not the ultimate truth.

Science does not even fully understand waves and particles and you want them to try and create a mini black hole they do not know for sure exists or not but they also state they feed and grow until there is nothing to feed off of anymore.

Sounds pretty damn iffy to me.

I would feel more comfortable if they had the container in a rocket ready to offload from the earth in case it went all wrong. Until they an do that it should be put on hold.

[edit on 2-9-2008 by LoneGunMan]

if the micro blackhole it could create arent closed by quantum fluctuaiasions then yes they feed but it would take years for it to have the mass of a grapefruit and theelectromagnetic fields will contain all this energy like i said before the tocomac like chamber could easily contain 20-30 million degree plasma whos electromagntetic fields and energy out put is millions of times more powerful than cern will create and we contain 20 million degree plasma with no sweat so whats the big woryy here

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I do hope they use the new scientific finds for the greater good of humanity, remember, most substances or energies can be used or abused....and evreything has an equal and opposite reaction. Some scientists can be bribed into working the latest finds of phisics into a new type of warfare or could be forced to by a shady government into producing one.
They have these same type of coliders ,only smaller scale up and running already and evreything seems to be fine.I read that the last big experiment they did released some strangelets that are stull uncontained and un accounted for.....The weather has been unpredictable lately! Anyway, I allways enjoy the suspense before something happens...even with a scant tinge of fear. Also I am a little bored with this world as we know it and often try and wrack my little human brain to try to imagine a sense that doesn't exist in our reality.... Maybe the collision will put lovely sparkles that sing jaunty tunes and spit out edible bunny clouds into our atmosphere....oh the possibilities! Come on.... arn't you just a little bit sick of just knowing our senses and reality? Maybe doughnuts better than krispy kreme will float through a tear in our space and time fabric, or better looking people who will want to breed with us poor mishappen earthlings. Maybe the experiment will suck out mothers in law and give evreyone on earth the feeling of the pollianna glad game. Oh dear, I am a bit of a strangelet!
Smile and have fun and don't loose any sleep, but yes, there is a risk as they have said that they don't know exactly what they will produce, therefore, how do you know if the unknowable is safe? How do you know how to contain something that you may not know the nature of. The god particle could go in a nother direction, like a mother who has diffrent pregnacies giving birth to diffrent children, no two creations are exactly the same. Rember, energy and matter never becomes naught, it just changes form,like solids to liquids and gasses, the soul is just in a body cage and can access many more exciting realities without it. Looking forward to anything, just don't want silly governments causing useless wars........

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   
To make everyone feel better, I will personally guarantee everything will be fine. They will do the expirament, and learn a great deal from it. The world will be a better place due to the amazing discoveries.
If it fails and we all die it will happen so fast you won't even realize it. So be happy!

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I agree with you network. Everyone ight as well get used to the fact that this project is going to happen, there is not much we can do to stop it. Just hope for the best so we as a species can reap the rewards or it fails in wich case the old "prepare now" mentaily is futile as we will al die to fast to even say "I told you guys this would happen"

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by TXMACHINEGUNDLR
I agree with this thread 100 percent. Why risk it? I don't really give a crap how the universe was made. I care about bills, work, and my family. Other than that...WHY IN THE HELL DID THEY BUILD THIS THING? At some point we all just need to be happy and enjoy what we have. They should have spent the money on this project to fund SETI. IMHO

seti is a waste of money and time, it will produce no results.

this collider will produce tangible results that will improve our technology (which is really only manipulation of our universe)

this could be the beginning of a practical quantum age, a next obvious leap for humanity.

there will always be fear and ignorance, and it will always be wrong.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Ye its very exciting to think of what could happen like all thr new discoveries im all for that but this experiment does seem very dangerous.

like for instance the black holes theory someone earlier said its impossible for it to happen but its not it could happen it just seems like some people are just ignoring the bad posibilities and only focusing on the good.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Did some research on LHC and came across this informative / amusing clip

enjoy

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Why is it that people doesn't learn from past (wrong) accusations?

The OP said that they should do smaller experiments first, well: they did. It was called RHIC and it was also going to make an earth-destructing black hole... back in 1999.

The sad part of this is that when they REALLY make something capable of destroying the world... no one will believe it anymore.

You should be worried of other things: for example, the blowout of many USSR nuclear plants that are poorly mantained. Chernobyl DID blow up and there are dozens of plants on poor state of manteinance.
But the RHIC didn't create a black hole. And the LHC has far less chance of that happening than a nuclear plant blowout. And this is just an example!
So you're living in REAL danger everyday, why bother with the LHC?

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by billyjoinedat2k8

Originally posted by rawsom
I'll make my bet on the safe side of things. Nothing bad will happen.

How can you say that? You dont know whats going to happen either, no one does.

I know that with a great certainty, just like a lot of other people do. I don't know if you understand enough about physics to realize that something which is next to impossible to happen, really is practiclally impossible. Did you even read and thought what I wrote? I'll write it again, and would like you to comment on that.

Atmosphere of our Earth and earth itself is continuously bombarded with high-energy particles that originate from objects in space. A lot of those particles have way more energy in them than what there is in particles in our LHC.

This bombardment has been going on for five billion years. Yet, nothing bad has happened. Black holes may have been created, but we have not sunk into one as of yet. This implies that whatever born in such collisions gets destroyed soon afterwards.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by -Klaus-

I agree with Klaus it is far mor likely we will kill ourselves off wiuth a man-made super virus or bacteria than with the LHC. If they should be succvessful in recreating the big bang with the LHC and see Higgs bosans we will be one step closer to a better understanding of the basic principles of the universe. These steps are needed for us to go any farther in our understanding and utilization of the forces to create a drive system able to take us beyond our current planetary system other than slowly taking centuries instead of the possibilities of doing it in years.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Can i just say is it just me who thinks its a crazy idea that were re-creating the most violent experience in our universes whole history.

But i am very curious still however and i wonder what it will lead us to in the future.

[edit on 4/20/2008 by billyjoinedat2k8]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
why would thet spend all that money on reseaching something like the big bang?personally i think there hoping for black holes or at least controlable ones which they can interact with,if you go so far out into space time stops for you then comes back onitself(time travel),why cant they recreate this at the cern?judging by the size of it im guessing they could keep a black hole open for more than a second.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
What would make you "guess" this? A second? I wouldn't even expect such a thing to last a microsecond. These are operations on the smallest scale you can imagine, yet take the largest equipment to duplicate the raw power of the universe.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by styxxz

HAhahahaha. Thanks for posting that. I had a big nerdy grin on my face the whole time I was watching it.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by billyjoinedat2k8

Luckily the scientists know a lot more about what they're doing than you do.

If we always listened to the "ooh no it's going to destroy the world, because I don't know what's going on!" crowd, we'd not have any of the technical advances we currently enjoy. The cries of "people can't travel that fast" when the first locomotives were invented springs to mind.

I'm not having a go, I'm just trying to point out that these people know the risks more than you do. They are the doctors who have studied the theory behind what they are going to do. They know what is possible - we simply don't. Of course it sounds scary, what with people saying "they're going to make black holes", etc., but black holes are intrinsically unstable. If any are made (and the jury's still out on that one), they will quickly evaporate into Hawking radiation.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Ye thats fair enough they sure as hell know alot more than me.

and probably nothing but good will come out of this experiment well i hoope so anyway cause i havnt said i think its going to destroy the earth although i do have some concerns

but if im honest as the dates getting closer i am far more curios now as to worrying about if it could go wrong which is a possibility even if its a smalll posibility its a small one.

God bless

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join