It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why didn't John Mccain chose Condelezza Rice?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
She seems like a much more qualified person to be a VP than Palin. She's a women, she's black, and she is has really improved the Bush administration during their second run as Secretary of State. People would recognize her. They would know about her credentials and she would have done a much better job at debating Senator Joseph Biden than say Palin will. Why not chose her? Why didn't John Mccain make a smart choice and chose Condelezza Rice?

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Good question.
The answer of which of course im not sure.

I dont think that "being black" should be a reason to pick anyone. Atleast in and of its self.

If the person "happens to be" black - well - fine, whatever

But anyways.

All i know is that McCains pick, Palin, is definitely questionable in the eyes of us who dont know any better

but McCain is a senator. He's a politician. He's been one for a long time.

My guess is he has a plan.
But my second guess is this plan is contingent on many different factors.

As far as Condy Rice - my GUESS is he didnt choose her because many would perceive it as "obviously" catering to the African American crowd since Obama is, himself, black.

But i honestly don't know.
Condy would certainly be able to boast more experience.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 03:15 AM
link   
So why not Condi Rice? Well, I think the primary reason is she's too closely associated with the currently-unpopular Bush administration, and McCain doesn't want to reinforce one of Obama's more powerful weapons, the 'four more years of the same' talking-point.

But I think there's more to it. It may not be a 'safe' topic for this new forum, but I'll give it a go. Let's deny ignorance:

And it would be ignorant to think that a vice-presidential running mate isn't primarily used to 'shore up the brand', in this media-driven age.

Yes, sure, a VP must have some level of experience and qualification. But the choice of a VP is done to 'widen the tent': to draw more undecided voters into the party, to complement the candidate's perceived weaknesses, and to bring along such supporters as they may already have. But it must be done with some level of subtlety. The American public doesn't like having their faces rubbed in it, when their opinions are being curried. The VP choice should seem a natural choice, who oh by the way just happens to undermine attacks on the candidate, for example, as elitist (Kerry/Edwards) or as inexperienced (Obama/Biden).

And here, in result, is where America is still racist and sexist. Ms Rice is a black woman.

Both of those attributes would be very significant, were McCain to have chosen her. The perception among many would have been: "he's just doing that to pander". Indeed, McCain is already getting some flack from his current choice, because she is a women, even though she's a staunch social conservative who fits with his platform. The perception I've heard from multiple sources is that many people are cynical: they think that he chose her primarily to try and 'pick up' disaffected Hillary supporters. Choosing Condi could double that effect -- many people would have seen her race and gender as the primary attributes why he chose her, potentially resulting in a backlash of opinion in otherwise-winnable demographics.

Hmm, I can see this new forum will take some getting used to. It's difficult to talk about the gamemanship of the election process without, potentially, sounding like I'm 'being divisive'. Actually, it's the process that has become inherently divisive -- as candidates are increasingly 'marketed', wedge-issues of perception used to focus their appeal have become more important, it seems, than actual issues and stances. Sad, that.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   
i was convinced Omaba would choose Hillary and McCain would choose Rice.

i was convinced.

having girls in politics at a higher level is this summers latest "must have" fashion accessory

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
My husband and I were talking about this just this morning. If McCain wanted a woman, which I totally understand, Why didn't he choose a woman who had experience and education who would really appeal to his base and bring some credibility to his campaign?

And we came to the same conclusions are you did, Ian McLean. Very good post. Condi Rice is educated, intelligent and unfortunately (for the McCain campaign) very closely related to GW Bush. That's one reason.

The other reason is that she's a black woman. They may have been seen as pandering to, not only the "Hillary crowd", which seemed predictable, but to any black people who might be lukewarm about voting for Barack Obama. That would have made it a racial issue and that would have been political suicide.

It is a sensitive subject, but I am convinced it can be discussed with civility and decorum.

What I don't particularly understand is why McCain didn't pick a more experienced and educated woman like Kay Bailey Hutchison or Carly Fiorina. I suppose they had their reasons for going with Palin. I will probably never understand it.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

This is a good question in that Sen. McCain now states he will "embrace" Pres. Bush. I think he did it mainly to prove he is a candidate of change, and with Sec. Rice a Washington insider, would of taken out his change mantra.
He picked Gov Palin for change.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I think that McCain didn't choose Rice because Rice did not want the position.

I seem to recall her saying on many different occasions that she did not want to run for President, so I have no idea why people would think she would want the Vice-President position.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
A few months ago I posted a news article that said Condy Rice was eying the V.P. slot, so that would imply she was open to the suggestion at least. I'm not sure if she changed her mind or if McCain just passed her over. I agree she would be a much better pick than Gov. Palin.

IMO the McCain campaign is counting on Palin to add some glamour and excitement to the ticket. Rice is perhaps too solid and predictable. Palin certainly is causing a stir but it's not the kind anyone would want.

top topics

join